Danish Angel - Holger Rune Talk

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holger is interviewed on Jimmy Connors podcast, at about 11 minutes in:

Advantage Connors
This is good stuff. Holger is speaking very openly and sincere about everything they asked him. He has a most interesting personality of all 3 (Him/Alcaraz/Sinner).

He is well aware of physical issues and that he needs to get stronger and last longer in bo5 matches. Looks like Becker has already stepped in with plans on how to achieve that and how to improve Holger's game, serve, etc.

I think Boris presence alone around this young man is enough to do wonders for him as he obviously looks up to him so much. I like how he chose RG as his favorite slam and it makes sense. He does play his best tennis on clay, it's just endurance that stands in a way.

He made a few very good points on how they (the youngest trio) need to beat Novak like all the time and literally move him out of the way, otherwise he is not going anywhere while still winning slams.

At the end he admits he is re-watching a Breaking Bad. I must say I'm not surprised, it suits his character in a way.

I wish him a good luck in a next season and I'm pretty sure he is going to have a better one than '23. This one was a learning curve for him.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is good stuff. Holger is speaking very openly and sincere about everything they asked him. He has a most interesting personality of all 3 (Him/Alcaraz/Sinner).

He is well aware of physical issues and that he needs to get stronger and last longer in bo5 matches. Looks like Becker has already stepped in with plans on how to achieve that and how to improve Holger's game, serve, etc.

I think Boris presence alone around this young man is enough to do wonders for him as he obviously looks up to him so much. I like how he chose RG as his favorite slam and it makes sense. He does play his best tennis on clay, it's just endurance that stands in a way.

He made a few very good points on how they (the youngest trio) need to beat Novak like all the time and literally move him out of the way, otherwise he is not going anywhere while still winning slams.

At the end he admits he is re-watching a Breaking Bad. I must say I'm not surprised, it suits his character in a way.

I wish him a good luck in a next season and I'm pretty sure he is going to have a better one than '23. This one was a learning curve for him.
Yeah it’s very good. Jimbo tends to be one dimensional on that show, the episode with Borg was disappointing, but this was an enjoyable discussion..

Reactions: don_fabio

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Comes across as a person who has life that extends beyond tennis, and it was refreshing to hear his perspectives. He can make the adjustments during the short break and build toward his preferred slam at Roland Garros. Looking forward to a better year from him in 2024.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It looks like Rune and Luthi (Federer’s old coach) are splitting up! Man, Rune needs to find the correct coach in order for him to reach his potential. He can’t have a cycle of coaches every couple of months or he will get stagnant really quick!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have just read this from @Olly Tennis,

Rune has split with Severin Luthi, who joined his team in December 23, due to not being able to accommodate Holger's full schedule.Rest of the team including Boris Becker, remains the same.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Severin Luthi not been able to accommodate Rune's full schedule and the reason of the split? why was the schedule not resolved earlier? surely Luthi knew of Rune's schedule before he agreed to be on Rune's coaching team, what a mess!

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I have just read this from @Olly Tennis,

Rune has split with Severin Luthi, who joined his team in December 23, due to not being able to accommodate Holger's full schedule.Rest of the team including Boris Becker, remains the same.
Actually he has hired Kenneth Carlsen as his second coach - a former danish ATP player. He was with him in Brisbase aswell.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
In regards to Severin Luthi not been able to accommodate Rune's full schedule and the reason of the split? why was the schedule not resolved earlier? surely Luthi knew of Rune's schedule before he agreed to be on Rune's coaching team, what a mess!
Actually from what I read in interviews with Holger's mother, it is Severin Luthi who has "changed" the agreement. He has some obligations that requires his presents so he couldn't accomodate Rune as much as they agreed upon originally. And therefore they decided, that the time wasn't right for both of them right now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually from what I read in interviews with Holger's mother, it is Severin Luthi who has "changed" the agreement. He has some obligations that requires his presents so he couldn't accomodate Rune as much as they agreed upon originally. And therefore they decided, that the time wasn't right for both of them right now.
Thats how I also understood it, it was Luthi who changed the agreement, he is a experienced coach, my thoughts were why wasnt this discussed before he agreed to be a part of Rune's coaching team and his scheduling for 2024. Hopefully no more changes going forward, as I feel this is 'unsettling' to any player"

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Thats how I also understood it, it was Luthi who changed the agreement, he is a experienced coach, my thoughts were why wasnt this discussed before he agreed to be a part of Rune's coaching team and his scheduling for 2024. Hopefully no more changes going forward, as I feel this is 'unsettling' to any player"
I think they did but Luthis obligations changed so he couldt fullfill the agreement.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
From @ Boris Becker via Twitter,

" I would like to inform you that I will step down as the Head coach of Holger Rune with immediate effect. We started this partnership with the initial goal to reach the ATP Finals end of last year but moving forward I realised that in order for this to successful I would need to be available for Holger much more than I can.Due to professional and private responsibilities I can't give Holger what he needs now. I wish him only the very best".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This did not age well. Holger went from 2 coach to 0 coach in a time span of a few weeks.
Becker was not at the AO, Luthi was there and then both coaches resigned citing they could not be with Holger for his scheduling for the year? Luthi's obligations changed so he could not be there for Holger for the year, and now Becker saying similar? can you believe it?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Becker was not at the AO, Luthi was there and then both coaches resigned citing they could not be with Holger for his scheduling for the year? Luthi's obligations changed so he could not be there for Holger for the year, and now Becker saying similar? can you believe it?
Something is odd. Sounds like a load of crap what both Luthi and Becker said and the real reason is something else.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Something is odd. Sounds like a load of crap what both Luthi and Becker said and the real reason is something else.
I have to agree with you 100%, I mean both Becker and Luthi are experienced coaches, they dont sign on to coach a player knowing he needs a coach to be able to travel all the year, and then in a space of 2 weeks turn around and say they cant? their excuses just dont add up, I feel for Rune quite frankly, players need stability especially in coaching, Rune has had too many changes of coaches in his young career

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have to agree with you 100%, I mean both Becker and Luthi are experienced coaches, they dont sign on to coach a player knowing he needs a coach to be able to travel all the year, and then in a space of 2 weeks turn around and say they cant? their excuses just dont add up, I feel for Rune quite frankly, players need stability especially in coaching, Rune has had too many changes of coaches in his young career
Which tells me the real problem here is Rune.

Let’s face it: it’s obvious from his on-court behavior that he‘s not the most likable player on the tour. It’s not difficult to imagine how he behaves when he’s being coached. Guys like Becker and Luthi know there are plenty of other players they can work with who aren't so challenging.