Coronavirus cases on your social circle

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My dear friend's mother died early this morning in England. She was elderly and had very recently gone into hospital for an issue, but got COVID there and she died of it. It really is a lonely way to go...in isolation.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of course my friend couldn't rush off to be with her mother at the end. Now I've heard from two other friends here in NY who have parents dying in Italy of non-COVID issues. But they feel they will never be able to see them again. They won't be able to get there in time. It's a knock-on effect, but just another sadness and stress-point in all of this.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
My dear friend's mother died early this morning in England. She was elderly and had very recently gone into hospital for an issue, but got COVID there and she died of it. It really is a lonely way to go...in isolation.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I agree.

Horsa

Reactions
Of course my friend couldn't rush off to be with her mother at the end. Now I've heard from two other friends here in NY who have parents dying in Italy of non-COVID issues. But they feel they will never be able to see them again. They won't be able to get there in time. It's a knock-on effect, but just another sadness and stress-point in all of this.
That's so sad.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A guy I used to do some work for in the UK is on an ICU ventilator. He had been in isolation too, so his son doesn't know how he picked it up. That's the first person who I know directly that is a confirmed case.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie

Horsa

Reactions
Remember what I said? Mother's friend assumed Dad died from Coronavirus as he died when it was going about. (I thought somebody would just assume that.) We told her the coroner & doctor said he died from I.P.F. & asbestosis. Isn't it annoying when people just assume things without even asking you?

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The sister of a woman from my bible study group tested positive. It all started on Mar 30. She went home from work early w/ the chills and shortness of breath. Someone tested positive at her job on the 29th and didn't tell anyone. Another employee went home sick on the 20th and no one was notified. Before the sister felt ill she spent time w/ the family over that weekend, so of course she's flipping out.

Fast forward to April 9. The sister (45 yr old healthy female) is recovering well. No fever, only shortness of breath in the first few days. They told her it needed to run it's course, so she eats, uses a vaporizer and completes prescribed workouts. Thank God, no one in her family contracted it. Because of the company's lack of communication 2 other people have it and they're not fairing as well. Both men are on ventilators and one had to be sedated because he developed pneumonia.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
My partners mother has tested positive and is in hospital in Paris with difficulty breathing. She's getting ready to go back to Paris as I speak. It is terrifying, particularly as her father has a history of diabetes and asthma. We are trying to find someone to go to their house to do a thorough clean, but not surprisingly no professional wants to do the job. Trying to round up relatives who live nearby. The virus has finally reached those close and dear to me with terrifying suddenness...

Horsa

Reactions
My partners mother has tested positive and is in hospital in Paris with difficulty breathing. She's getting ready to go back to Paris as I speak. It is terrifying, particularly as her father has a history of diabetes and asthma. We are trying to find someone to go to their house to do a thorough clean, but not surprisingly no professional wants to do the job. Trying to round up relatives who live nearby. The virus has finally reached those close and dear to me with terrifying suddenness...
Oh my goodness! I hope she's o.k.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good luck brother, I hope your partner's mother pulls through OK.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The sister of a woman from my bible study group tested positive. It all started on Mar 30. She went home from work early w/ the chills and shortness of breath. Someone tested positive at her job on the 29th and didn't tell anyone. Another employee went home sick on the 20th and no one was notified. Before the sister felt ill she spent time w/ the family over that weekend, so of course she's flipping out.

Fast forward to April 9. The sister (45 yr old healthy female) is recovering well. No fever, only shortness of breath in the first few days. They told her it needed to run it's course, so she eats, uses a vaporizer and completes prescribed workouts. Thank God, no one in her family contracted it. Because of the company's lack of communication 2 other people have it and they're not fairing as well. Both men are on ventilators and one had to be sedated because he developed pneumonia.

That's interesting on a few different levels. First, wishing the men in question pull through OK... but raising the question, do you think if there was more of a safety net in the US in respect of healthcare costs, that these people would have gone to the doctors instead of going to work?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Happy news for me. My partners mother has pulled through just fine. Apparently she had a mild case. A huge huge weight off our minds. She's been at home now since the weekend, and is back to normal. Not sure when I'll be seeing my partner again though. She'll have to stay in France until at least 11th May when the lockdown over there ends. C'est la vie!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm so sorry for your loss, Baron.
He wasn't a really close friend or anything but a nice guy who I knew through work.

I was speaking with his son, and they said their goodbyes over a video stream... which I thought was pretty sad.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's interesting on a few different levels. First, wishing the men in question pull through OK... but raising the question, do you think if there was more of a safety net in the US in respect of healthcare costs, that these people would have gone to the doctors instead of going to work?
The conversation here (in the US) is rather more that people go to work sick out of fear of losing their jobs more than fear of the cost of the healthcare. Anyway, I also hope those men have come out ok by now.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didn't know where to post this, but it seemed like the most plausible thread. Some "Notes from the Front."

I get the print edition of The New York Times on Sunday, only. Some notable changes:

* The Sports Section is thin, and consists mostly of recounting great sports matches of the past, and random human interest stories.

* The Travel Section is thin, and is mostly about how to recoup money on trips you've had to cancel, or traveling virtually.

* The Obituary pages have gotten longer and longer every week over the past several. Usually the paid death notices are biggest on Sunday. Normal is about half a page to a full page. (I'm excluding articles about notable deaths.) This Sunday the paid death notices took up 4-1/2 pages. I started monitoring the obituaries during the AIDS pandemic when I moved here. I've never seen anything like this.

Reactions: mrzz

Horsa

Reactions
Happy news for me. My partners mother has pulled through just fine. Apparently she had a mild case. A huge huge weight off our minds. She's been at home now since the weekend, and is back to normal. Not sure when I'll be seeing my partner again though. She'll have to stay in France until at least 11th May when the lockdown over there ends. C'est la vie!
That's great. I guess you get more time to do men's things then. I know you'll probably be missing your partner but at least you know she'll be coming home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C World Affairs 27