Coronavirus cases on your social circle

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Please use this thread to register all cases of coronavirus near enough to you that you have access to direct information (as opposed to what is read in press/social media). This way we can have a reliable source of real life stories.

Here in São Paulo the first coronavirus death of the country occurred in a hospital which is in a walking distance from my house (two days ago). Now I have just received a communication from tennis club that one of the employees passed away today -- and there is a strong suspicion of coronavirus (from health workers). No information yet about previous health condition of this person.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Person who died was male, around 40 years old. Somewhat overweight and with a heart condition.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No one I know has been tested. There are a few who think they might have had it already. The symptoms seem to match what's been publicised. I myself wonder if I've had it. But everyone I know who's asked for a test has been told that they are not in the right demographic. I guess when the panic is over I'll get myself tested to see if I have the antibodies

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know anybody who has been tested to date. I had symptoms that seemed a possible match last week but rode them out. My son was sick this week with similar, I took him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with tonsillitis.

I know this a non-media thread but I caught the tail end of a discussion on the local radio, where somebody said Queensland Health had indicated nearly all positive cases were people returning from overseas rather than being infected within the state. This might be because of the testing criteria (it's much easier to get a test if you've traveled overseas recently), but I thought it's worth keeping an eye on.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Good to see that this thread is not growing exponentially. Still no news about the suspected Covid-19 death in my tennis club. I will post here as soon as I have something solid.

One information regarding spread of the infection I get straight from the front line here is (as my wife works in the largest hospital in Latin America):

One surgeon and two (or three, I am not sure now) surgery nurses were diagnosed with Covid-19. This is medical staff working with the general public, no wonder the virus spreads fast. Their probable date of infection is probable way before the first reported case. Those particular cases show also other feature of how this crisis in being run: they were part of the small subset that was tested. Here, as I guess is the case in a lot of countries, the population sample that is tested is not representative of the whole population. This means that the numbers must be read differently. This is the main reason why one cannot compare directly the numbers from S. Korea (where random tests are applied on the population) to numbers of countries who direct their testing efforts to specific groups.

Reactions: Moxie

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
got my first hit today. This is a slightly redacted email I got from on of my biggest clients...

We have been in South Africa since last November and the whole family is hunkered down weathering the crisis which is just in its initial stages in South Africa.

On the other hand I went to London two weeks ago and unfortunately it seems I brought the disease with me because I have been diagnosed late last week with Covid-19 and hence I left the house to a small flat thate we keep downtown and I am in the most complete isolation for another 3 weeks, while I endure the infection.

So far it has been mild, supposedly the 8th day is the worst which was yesterday, so I expect a slow but steady recovery.

Our office are all working from home and it does not seem that I gave the disease to anybody that I met.

How are you guys doing and where are each of you going to weather the storm?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Still no word on the case in my tennis club. A colleague from work told me a couple he knew (not closely) died by Covid-19 recently.

Here in SP field hospitals being built on football stadiums. On HC (Hospital das Clinicas, were my wife works), normal patients are being relocated to make room for Covid patients. That hospital was designated to be the spearhead against Covid. My wife is right now participating in meetings to define how to give psychological support to doctors, nurses and staff. Doctors are reporting positive and young doctors are already freaking out -- specially the ones who live away from their home towns. This is her day to day reality.

But it is all good, since our president said that this is just a little flu.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know of anyone personally who has tested positive, neither in NYC, LA nor any of my friends in northern Italy. That's lucky, I guess. Checking in with friends in Spain.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
My family thank goodness live in Italy are well,my daughter lives in London is well,they are my immediate family,friends that are spread around in Europe I am emailing to check on their health.

Reactions: Federberg and Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
A doctor, my wife's colleague from work, moved to ICU, confirmed Covid-19. Not the first doctor there.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
A doctor, my wife's colleague from work, moved to ICU, confirmed Covid-19. Not the first doctor there.
I don't care how important a VIP is, if there are limits on the number of testing kits. Then doctors and nurses should be at the front of the line. And give them all they need to protect themselves!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't care how important a VIP is, if there are limits on the number of testing kits. Then doctors and nurses should be at the front of the line. And give them all they need to protect themselves!
Agree, a midwife who I used to work with in another hospital has tested positive.Though some idiot in our government here said young children and babies don't get the virus? 2 young children under 5 years old were tested and are positive? the virus dosen't ask your age by the way? I just roll my eyes with these so called 'health experts' in our government,who sit behind their desks and make these insane comments.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know anyone who got infected here in Croatia, but country is in a full lockdown. We can't even leave the city anymore. We haven't left the house since saturday when we also had a tough earthquake in Zagreb. Lot of people can't live in their homes, because it's not safe anymore. It was surreal, they are telling you to stay at home, but at the same time earthquake shook us real bad so many people went out in fear including us. Luckily all is ok in our newbuild apartment.

I see situation with virus in US is getting worse exponentially, hope you all who live there will be allright. Can't believe that in 21st century there is lack of protection masks. They should be giving them for free and have huge stock of it instead fighting for it like it's toilet rolls. It seems like the struggle with virus will continue for longer that we all expected. I am fortunate to be at home at this moment instead of being stuck on a ship somewhere far away, because the crew change is suspended until the situation gets better. I always tell people you can't live on the edge, you need to have money to get you through at least a year or two of life, you never know what can happen. People are losing their jobs it could be me next you just don't know.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I don't know anyone who got infected here in Croatia, but country is in a full lockdown. We can't even leave the city anymore. We haven't left the house since saturday when we also had a tough earthquake in Zagreb. Lot of people can't live in their homes, because it's not safe anymore. It was surreal, they are telling you to stay at home, but at the same time earthquake shook us real bad so many people went out in fear including us. Luckily all is ok in our newbuild apartment.

I see situation with virus in US is getting worse exponentially, hope you all who live there will be allright. Can't believe that in 21st century there is lack of protection masks. They should be giving them for free and have huge stock of it instead fighting for it like it's toilet rolls. It seems like the struggle with virus will continue for longer that we all expected. I am fortunate to be at home at this moment instead of being stuck on a ship somewhere far away, because the crew change is suspended until the situation gets better. I always tell people you can't live on the edge, you need to have money to get you through at least a year or two of life, you never know what can happen. People are losing their jobs it could be me next you just don't know.
I'm glad you & yours are O.K. but sad to hear about how things are where you are.

Reactions: don_fabio

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I could not confirm the death on my tennis club as a Covid death. I am assuming lack of confirmation -- nobody has any info -- as indication that original report was false.

My wife's colleague from work, a doctor on the front line who was on ICU, got better and is out of ICU at least. Dozens of her colleagues showing mild symptoms, nobody getting tested as there are no tests.

Horsa

Reactions
Dad fell off the sofa at 6:05 yesterday morning & couldn't get up. I phoned for the ambulance. When they came & I gave them his cough tablets, they said "Has he got a cough?" I had to explain they were for his C.O.P.D., I.P.F. and asbestosis. He passed away at 3:05 this morning. If he hadn't already been diagnosed with the 3 afore-mentioned conditions they'd have probably have put him down as having coronavirus.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Dad fell off the sofa at 6:05 yesterday morning & couldn't get up. I phoned for the ambulance. When they came & I gave them his cough tablets, they said "Has he got a cough?" I had to explain they were for his C.O.P.D., I.P.F. and asbestosis. He passed away at 3:05 this morning. If he hadn't already been diagnosed with the 3 afore-mentioned conditions they'd have probably have put him down as having coronavirus.

I am very sorry for your loss.

On a second note, if he had the symptoms, they would probably have him tested, yes. They had to ask the question. Depending on your answer they would have run a test, and I highly doubt that this would go in any statistics before the test results would have come out. It is a very good thing that you could properly explain his medical condition.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Condolences...hang in there.

Horsa

Reactions
I am very sorry for your loss.

On a second note, if he had the symptoms, they would probably have him tested, yes. They had to ask the question. Depending on your answer they would have run a test, and I highly doubt that this would go in any statistics before the test results would have come out. It is a very good thing that you could properly explain his medical condition.
Thank you very much.

I had to read the leaflets Dad was given so I could tell him what was wrong with him. As he had dementia too this was very difficult.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C World Affairs 27