Conspiracy Theory

tented

Administrator
Reactions
There is a definitely a lab in Wuhan, I know that much. It wouldn't surprise me, but citizens are the last to know, if ever.

Exactly. Even though the people from China he works with are scientists.(i.e., he’s not working with literary scholars, for example), I suspect they’re mostly expressing their mistrust in China based on their own experiences there.

Shit happens... Chernobyl being the prime example.

Yep. My guess is it’s as simple as the explanation in the film Contagion: the wrong animal (bat, I guess) crossed the path of an unfortunate human, and it spread from there.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly. Even though the people from China he works with are scientists.(i.e., he’s not working with literary scholars, for example), I suspect they’re mostly expressing their mistrust in China based on their own experiences there.

Yep. My guess is it’s as simple as the explanation in the film Contagion: the wrong animal (bat, I guess) crossed the path of an unfortunate human, and it spread from there.

I watched Contagion last week again. It's really well put together in hindsight. I enjoyed it the first time around but didn't pay much attention to detail.

I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the origins of the virus, even the accepted truth is based on a guess. But it makes you wonder what governments really know based on the scale of the reaction.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I watched Contagion last week again. It's really well put together in hindsight. I enjoyed it the first time around but didn't pay much attention to detail.

I don't think we'll ever know the truth about the origins of the virus, even the accepted truth is based on a guess. But it makes you wonder what governments really know based on the scale of the reaction.

This may interest you (I hope this embedded video works ...)

Reactions: britbox

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I’m having trouble accessing this page. Maybe the site is overwhelmed right now. What does it say about the origin?

The author's claim is roughly that evidence points out to the natural origins of the virus. I am no biology expert and therefore I have no way to assess the paper's quality.

One of the unpleasant characteristics of the XXIst century is that politics have contaminated everything including science, so one cannot simply trust a scientific paper nowadays (yes, science has been politicized since forever, but the level today is orders of magnitude higher than ever before).

Reactions: tented and britbox

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1584803803762.png

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't believe anyone actually knows at the moment. A few too many people have watched Contagion and are jumping to conclusions imho... It takes WHO/CDC years to figure that stuff out

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
How did the zoonotic spill occur? Is it by humans eating bat soup?

Please check the reference I cite in this post.

If it is precisely bat soup is unclear, but it seems to be quite clear that it is directly related to consumption of wild animals meat.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Please check the reference I cite in this post.

If it is precisely bat soup is unclear, but it seems to be quite clear that it is directly related to consumption of wild animals meat.

I understand that people are not 100% sure that it came from bats, but they say it is likely.

But, what is not clear to me is whether the virus jumped from animals to humans in some other way or because of direct consumption.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I understand that people are not 100% sure that it came from bats, but they say it is likely.

But, what is not clear to me is whether the virus jumped from animals to humans in some other way or because of direct consumption.

Somewhere in the above article's introduction (the only reference on the subject I read), the authors say that China's population growth has increased protein demand, which led to the existence and/or spread of wet markets. So it is implicit that direct consumption is assumed as cause, but, yes, it is also conceivable the mere concentration of live animals could lead to contamination. Anyway, reading the article really gave me the impression that is a known fact that direct consumption is assumed to be the link.

Reactions: tented

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Somewhere in the above article's introduction (the only reference on the subject I read), the authors say that China's population growth has increased protein demand, which led to the existence and/or spread of wet markets. So it is implicit that direct consumption is assumed as cause, but, yes, it is also conceivable the mere concentration of live animals could lead to contamination. Anyway, reading the article really gave me the impression that is a known fact that direct consumption is assumed to be the link.

Yes, consumption is certainly the cause. But, what is not clear is whether it is a direct cause or indirect cause. Is it possible some wild animal sneezed in this wet market ( without using Kleenex tissue:sneezing-face:) and patient zero breathed it in. If so, that would only be an indirect cause.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yes, consumption is certainly the cause. But, what is not clear is whether it is a direct cause or indirect cause. Is it possible some wild animal sneezed in this wet market ( without using Kleenex tissue:sneezing-face:) and patient zero breathed it in. If so, that would only be an indirect cause.

Not much difference, really. In both cases, a human is consuming something from an animal.

If there’s one takeaway everyone around the world should get from this, it’s never, ever, ever eat a bat.

Reactions: mrzz

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok so here's an interesting conspiracy theory that's been posited to me today. Some folks are claiming this is all to do with 5G.... :astonished-face: