Conspiracy Theory

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
I think it's good to have some degree of scepticism on taking things at face value and making your own judgements. I find some of the 9/11 conspiracy theories flat out ridiculous... but who knows what events are guided by others with vested interests.

One event I look at with a real sceptical eye was the death of Dr David Kelly, a UK weapons expert who committed suicide around the time of the report into Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction. Kelly was supposed to have killed himself and yet they found no finger prints on the knife or any of the packets of pills he was supposed to have taken.

The inquiry into his death ordered that the official documents be sealed for 70 years rather than the usual 30.

Well, this is the thin edge of the wedge that allows Underpants Man to believe anything while disbelieving everything. The David Kelly death is suspicious. You're bound to get that, by the way, governments sanctioning shady things. Not all of them are as terrible as the death of Dr Kelly, but once they're witnessed covering up one event, well, why not UFO's, Elvis disappearance, Bin Laden being spotted on a beach in Miami, taking selfies. Area 51.

It breeds suspicion.

Look also at Assange and Snowden. Aside from the fact that I'd lock both of them away for centuries, what did they expose? That governments have secrets. That Obama is watching You. We knew all this - and I approve of governments using spying methods for national security purposes - but again, it gives ammo to the lazy and feckless and disingenuous to disbelieve everything - while falling for any old guff.

I don't mind conspiracy theories but usually it ends in a circular argument about the evidence having been destroyed - "so how do you know this, if the evidence is destroyed?" - and my own complicity in supporting the old regime - "You're so naive, you just believe everything they tell you!". Followed by me replying, "eh, you're the naive one for swallowing this theory, without evidence to support it." And so on.

In the absence of evidence, it's difficult to accept these theories, but people do...

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Loving the MH370 conspiracy theories at the moment. According to some, it was hijacked by the New World Order to be used in a false-flag operation, much in vein of 9/11. Sure, a hijacking theory is plausible, but do they have to include this NWO?

Oh, and what do we think of David Icke? He is a character. For fun, you should check out his forum.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember David Icke. He used to present sports on the BBC until one day his shiny turquoise tracksuit top reflected the planets and told him he's an alien, or summit like that. I thought he had sunk into ridiculed obscurity but apparently he's huge, a best selling author, and so on. Hard to figger out how these things happen...

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
I remember David Icke. He used to present sports on the BBC until one day his shiny turquoise tracksuit top reflected the planets and told him he's an alien, or summit like that. I thought he had sunk into ridiculed obscurity but apparently he's huge, a best selling author, and so on. Hard to figger out how these things happen...

Yeah. Apparently he used to be a very respectful sports presenter on the BBC until he said he was the son of God and began making outlandish conspiracy theories that were so damn implausible. Still, he has - as you said - been a huge success in his respective field. I mean, who else would give David Icke two hours in a Melbourne University lecture room talking about reptilians?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Bush was a reptile, right? Obama might be a snake then.

It's a fun game. Reagan? Chameleon. Clinton? (Lounge) Lizard.

Bush snr? Dinosaur.

I wonder how Icke figgers all this. He's the conspiracy theorists manual. There was an article about him recently in the paper, I wish I could remember a few more of his ideas but I can't. I washed myself thoroughly after it, regardless...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Icke was also a goalkeeper with Coventry City (English football team). I remember when I was a football mad youngster and read a book by him called "It's a tough game, son". This was a book detailing how he made it (and how hard it was to make it) as a pro footballer. It was a good read and he was still a respected sports presenter by then.

He's the ultimate conspiracy theorist these days... think Alex Jones x10. In the UK he was a figure of ridicule to be honest. Maybe 2% of his theories are on the ball and he can offer a "told you so" message... other than that, the guy is a pretty harmless crazy. Makes money though with his lecture tours to the wildly impressionable.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He says it's not missing - we are!

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
that jfk thing is crazy..

read some stuff and some slowed down vids on youtube with folk trying to get away with claiming that one of the guys in the front seat of jfk car shot him in the neck by sneaking an arm round or something, and another theory that he was shot by a bloke with a rifle in the drains by the kerb on the roadside on other side of road..:s :huh:

then I thought...well, that's enough internet for today.

I thought of a new one, that unfortunate vanishing plane of 2days ago didn't crash in the south china sea..it was abducted from above and taken into deep space by aliens. (2 false passports were on board aliens to help from the inside).

No, I heard it was forced down low and flew under the radar

to North Korea where the Korean hijacker landed it at Pyong Yang.....lol

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
david ike..his appearance on wogan in 1991 was the start of the son of god/illuminate/reptiles era.

he was always on telly, :)sportsnight, match of the day, sport on Friday..and grandstand when frank bough was recovering from one of his 'special parties' or too tired from doing breakfasttime. :snigger

he grew up in Leicester..also home of gary lineker and joe orton. :approved:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought this might be a good time to revive this thread and share some conspiracy theories circulating around the web. Some for fun and some for discussion.

Of course, there are dozens of crazy theories going around ranging from Boris Johnson trying to kill off old people to the USA attacking China with a bioweapon.

There are other theories related to the fallout, which while not necessarily questioning the event itself, rather looking at how Governments may use it as an excuse to implement otherwise unpopular measures such as moving to a cashless society or microchipping citizens.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One thing I've been concerned about, which I don't think is a conspiracy is how information is starting to be controlled. I had one post on Facebook flagged as Fake News - it was about COVID-19 being found in toilet rolls. Clearly a joke but it got flagged, and a video about a Chinese wet market got taken down.

I also saw Ron Paul had stuff flagged by Facebook because he questioned the figures on the virus.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Ok, so there are published papers already discussing -- and apparently showing it clearly, the the natural origin of the virus.

That there is a huge information war going on, I have no doubt. It will be good to see how much power China has over big media outlets -- both traditional and digital. Quite frankly it already shows they have quite a lot.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is quite an interesting read on the history of biological warfare.

OK, I wasn’t going to post this, but after reading that, why not ...

I have a brother-in-law who does work which crosses over between the public sector and the government. It’s classified. I barely know what he does. The group he works with contains a few people from China. They’re convinced this was an accidental release from a biological weapons research facility. Apparently such research is done in Wuhan.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, I wasn’t going to post this, but after reading that, why not ...

I have a brother-in-law who does work which crosses over between the public sector and the government. It’s classified. I barely know what he does. The group he works with contains a few people from China. They’re convinced this was an accidental release from a biological weapons research facility. Apparently such research is done in Wuhan.
There is a definitely a lab in Wuhan, I know that much. It wouldn't surprise me, but citizens are the last to know, if ever. Shit happens... Chernobyl being the prime example.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

[TD valign="top"]
1763​
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
British distribute blankets from smallpox patients to native Americans​
[/TD]

Something I never knew before. I was always of the belief that is was passive contagion not by design.