BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As has been stated elsewhere, winning the Sunshine Double means in the same year.....
I should have stated when he won in Miami last year as a teenager I will fix my post, I have just come off night shift, need another coffee fix:)

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlos is playing excellent but he's not invincible.. Felix's game gives him trouble and Rafa and Novak especially will be around for two more years.. Remember I said if Daniil's serve was clicking he could make it a battle.. That's why he is bitchin cause he couldn't get the free points..
I agree, if your serve ain't working against Alcaraz, you are probably going to lose. Sinner was about 50 percent first serves against Alcaraz, way too low. If he served with more accuracy it could be a closer match too, possibly a 3 setter. As for Meddy, he loves free serve points against the top players, he dispatched Novak like this in USO final and recently in Dubai.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Carlos is playing excellent but he's not invincible.. Felix's game gives him trouble and Rafa and Novak especially will be around for two more years.. Remember I said if Daniil's serve was clicking he could make it a battle.. That's why he is bitchin cause he couldn't get the free points..

Carlos only going to hold #1 ranking for a min. due to losing 1000 pts. from last year's victory in Miami! He has to win again to keep #1! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:

Reactions: Jelenafan

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Will Tommy make the HOF!? Will Coria or Rios make it? Did Gaudio or Andres Gomez make it from their one slam wonder? I doubt all but DelPorto deserves to be there .
I think Marcelo Rios makes the HOF. There was a time, albeit short, in 1998 where he was the best in the world. Had he just beat Petr Korda in the 98 AO Final, he would be in with no debate. I think Tommy Haas, Coria, Gaudio, and Andres Gomez fall short.

Del Porto should be a lock for the HOF, although I wish he defeated Djokovic in the 2018 US Open final to strengthen his case.

Reactions: Moxie and tented

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree, if your serve ain't working against Alcaraz, you are probably going to lose. Sinner was about 50 percent first serves against Alcaraz, way too low. If he served with more accuracy it could be a closer match too, possibly a 3 setter. As for Meddy, he loves free serve points against the top players, he dispatched Novak like this in USO final and recently in Dubai.
the top two Spaniards has proven to be a bad match up for Daniil's game on the slower surfaces.. Rafa and Carlos will continue to take advantage

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carlos only going to hold #1 ranking for a min. due to losing 1000 pts. from last year's victory in Miami! He has to win again to keep #1! :astonished-face: :fearful-face:
I think that's only in the live-rankings. In the official rankings, which are tabulated weekly, or at the end of a tournament, he will be number 1 for the next two weeks, and keep it if he defends his title. I'm not 100% sure on that, but someone like @tented will know.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think that's only in the live-rankings. In the official rankings, which are tabulated weekly, or at the end of a tournament, he will be number 1 for the next two weeks, and keep it if he defends his title. I'm not 100% sure on that, but someone like @tented will know.
Well yeah, keeping the #1 ranking for just 2 weeks is like holding it for a minute, as Fiero said... : )
He needs to win Miami to keep the top ranking.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos has to win Miami to keep his No 1 ranking, I put the new adjusted rankings for Monday 30th March on the ranking post yesterday

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well yeah, keeping the #1 ranking for just 2 weeks is like holding it for a minute, as Fiero said... : )
He needs to win Miami to keep the top ranking.
Ok, "a minute" in recent colloquial parlance, then, yes. And, he might just defend Miami, in which case, he keeps it. It's only something less than 400 points between them, so even if he does defend, the #1 could go back and forth for a while, depending on how the clay season goes.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos has to win Miami to keep his No 1 ranking, I put the new adjusted rankings for Monday 30th March on the ranking post yesterday
Moxie,
At present with Carlos winning IW he is 7420, Novak is 7,160 a difference of 260 points,so winning Miami is a must for Carlos if he wants to keep the No 1 before we head to the clay, even then, during the clay season it will be interesting.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ok, "a minute" in recent colloquial parlance, then, yes. And, he might just defend Miami, in which case, he keeps it. It's only something less than 400 points between them, so even if he does defend, the #1 could go back and forth for a while, depending on how the clay season goes.
Oh sure, I agree. He could lose in Miami and win Monte Carlo and be back to #1.

I dunno, I think the pressure is off for Carlos, he got a YE #1 ranking, he's just won a Masters where he was clearly the favorite and #1 seed so being 1, 2 or 3 at this point isn't as important to him as to other younger players who've never reached those pinnacles yet.

I sort of chuckled when Zverev humble/bragged mentioned at IW that he reached #2 in the world, what he didn't mention was that he got to that highest ranking in his career when he was injured and other players points were sliding off while they were still playing.

Carlos actually battled Ruud and who won that US Open was going to be the #1 player in the world, so it's not like he backed into that top ranking.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,

This is where it will get interesting,
Alcaraz and Djokovic are both defending almost exactly the same number of points during the clay season
Novak is defending 1,880
Alcaraz is defending 1,870
Both reached the QFs at RG, and claimed a Masters 1000 crown during the swing.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I dunno, I think the pressure is off for Carlos, he got a YE #1 ranking, he's just won a Masters where he was clearly the favorite and #1 seed so being 1, 2 or 3 at this point isn't as important to him as to other younger players who've never reached those pinnacles yet.

I sort of chuckled when Zverev humble/bragged mentioned at IW that he reached #2 in the world, what he didn't mention was that he got to that highest ranking in his career when he was injured and other players points were sliding off while they were still playing.

Carlos actually battled Ruud and who won that US Open was going to be the #1 player in the world, so it's not like he backed into that top ranking.

Both Djokovic & Medvedev have fallen into 1st place for the last year+ due to politics & injury! The race hasn't been this tight at the beginning of the season in years due to the Big 3 monopolizing the Majors and Masters! No doubt if allowed to compete in the Sunshine Double, Novak would have stayed #1! He's getting it back for a week waiting for result of Miami! Alcaraz needs to win it to get #1 back! :astonished-face: :face-with-tears-of-joy::astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I sort of chuckled when Zverev humble/bragged mentioned at IW the he reached #2 in the world, what he didn't mention was that he got to that highest ranking in his career when he was injured and other players points were sliding while they were still playing.

I read some quotes from Carlos today...he said he felt no pressure at the IW final, or at all in IW. (I will find it and post on the fan thread.) He says he was feeling very relaxed, and confident in his shots. This is the danger of the teenager that @kskate2 and I were chatting about. He DOESN'T have pressure, if he chooses not to feel it. He has all the time in the world to rack up weeks at #1, to win big titles, etc. Djokovic will not be feeling the same, IMO.

Good point about Ruud, and the battle for #1, (and laughing out loud at your comment about Zverev.) PS: I think Ruud is feeling pressure to perform off clay, and it's showing.