BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a great success this tourney was plus the addition of junior tennis:

i sat next to one of those Junior kids in the stands and maybe a future star, LOL.

It truly is the “5th Slam”, next year it needs to add senior tennis events :D. People forget it had a complete hawkeye ststem installed over a decade ago and the spectator stands for players practice are exceptional outside of the Slams themselves.

Attendance is expected to be between 475-500 K for the 10 day tourney (not including qualifying)

What other tournament would offer free parking a year after it was charging $25 per? ; )

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Congratulations to Carlos ..What an awesome tournament FAA will be better in Miami and may have a chance to correct his 2nd and kick serve vs Alcaraz...We shall see..

Out of the room, Annacone invoked completion of the Sunshine Double! I thought I lost a couple weeks of my life! Completed from last year? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Out of the room, Annacone invoked completion of the Sunshine Double! I thought I lost a couple weeks of my life! Completed from last year? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I agree that was a stretch. It just means he's won both, but not in the same year. Annacone getting ahead of himself.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Carlos ..What an awesome tournament FAA will be better in Miami and may have a chance to correct his 2nd and kick serve vs Alcaraz...We shall see..
I think the court suited Carlos better than Meddy and other players, still you have to adjust your game to different surfaces and conditions outdoors, also I did mention Carlos used his kicker serve to perfection at IW

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Alcaraz new No 1 ( will improve his total weeks to at least 22) needs to defend his Miami title to keep the No 1 till the start of the clay season.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio I am certain you will appreciate this quote from Medvedev after his final :)

" I had a pretty toxic relationship with the courts here. A lot of love, hate moments. I would like to thank the this court. I was giving it a hard time so it gave me a hard time also, rolled ankle, the thumb. But it gave me the chance to finish the tournament'

Daniil Medvedev.

• Haha
Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
" I have no doubts about my shots. I really trust in every shot I hit. As I said, that's why I'm playing a great level, because if I miss, I don't mind. I don't care about the miss. I'm just trying to hit 100% in every shot and having no doubts about the shot"

Carlos Alcaraz after his win today in IW

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just want to add a quick comment before I go back around Fall:

There was one player who gave Alcaraz the toughest challenge in both US Open AND Indian Wells. And that one player is still in work in progress too...

Arrivederci!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just want to add a quick comment before I go back around Fall:

There was one player who gave Alcaraz the toughest challenge in both US Open AND Indian Wells. And that one player is still in work in progress too...

Arrivederci!
Addio Amico Mio!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz is a dagger, but those drop shots are like savage paper cuts. Never seen a player use the drop shot so effectively and so often in a match. Murray used to litter the court with desperate attempts to break his opponents rhythm with drop shots, but that always seemed to me to be typical of players who overuse it, that they’ve run out of ideas.

With Carlos, the drop shot is like Rafa’s clipper down the line. It’s an aggressive and nasty shot. Poor Medvedev, he looked so bewildered and lost. Sure, the courts were slow, and Charlie chucked in occasional serve volleys as if it was 90’s grass. He seems capable of doing anything. Most importantly, he can finish matches. He knows how to win finals. He’s not out there like some gormless Greek hoping his opponent has a let down. Alcaraz goes for the neck. I think he’s only going to get better, too. This season might be one of both progress and consolidation, I’m not going to be surprised by anything he achieves this year, but next season he may well start to savagely oppress and dominate the field…

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz is a dagger, but those drop shots are like savage paper cuts. Never seen a player use the drop shot so effectively and so often in a match. Murray used to litter the court with desperate attempts to break his opponents rhythm with drop shots, but that always seemed to me to be typical of players who overuse it, that they’ve run out of ideas.

With Carlos, the drop shot is like Rafa’s clipper down the line. It’s an aggressive and nasty shot. Poor Medvedev, he looked so bewildered and lost. Sure, the courts were slow, and Charlie chucked in occasional serve volleys as if it was 90’s grass. He seems capable of doing anything. Most importantly, he can finish matches. He knows how to win finals. He’s not out there like some gormless Greek hoping his opponent has a let down. Alcaraz goes for the neck. I think he’s only going to get better, too. This season might be one of both progress and consolidation, I’m not going to be surprised by anything he achieves this year, but next season he may well start to savagely oppress and dominate the field…
Gormless Greek :lulz1: This must be a thread name for him if he ever gets his own thread on TF.

Alcaraz dropshot is his signature shot already. He can pull that one from every position with fascinating precision and unpredictability. I don't want to sound like we are drooling over him, praising him because he is hot at the moment, but really he is just that good in almost everything he does. I don't think it is exaggeration to say that at this moment he is already a player to beat. Rafa and Novak will have their hands full if they meet him in RG and one of them will, maybe both will who knows, but I will not be surprised if he beats one of them or both. Last year in RG was a bit weird, he struggled with expactations as it seemed at the time, I don't think the same thing will be this year when he already has 1 slam in a pocket. Let's say I will be hugely surprised if Carlos doesn't win a slam this year and if he stays healthy possibly wins 2 in the next season and starts to dominate.

He has that killer instinct that every great champion carries inside, you have to be born with it.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, but he's still got those cheekbones and that Marvel comics square jaw. And he's done a great job with IW since taking over from the prior misogynist. Talking of retired players, Juan Carlos Ferrero is still as handsome as ever, and I think is the ace-in-the-hole that Alcaraz needs. I really do think he's his "Uncle Toni."
If Haas parents would have created him a few years later he may have been to capture a slam .. jajaja. Those injuries plus his parents had a tough motorcycle accident really took a toll on him..Lord knows he was the darling of Nick's academy and made it to world ranking of #2.. Tommy dismantle Novak a few years ago at Miami and had a great late career RG campaign which I felt he didn't believe he could defeat Roger when in essence he had the goods to slay the Mighty Fed during that fortnight..His strokes were so fundamentally sound but didn't have the inner fortitude to be a GS champion..but who knows Gaudio won a slam but Rios or Coria didn't. The tennis gods just were not in their corner.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Gormless Greek :lulz1: This must be a thread name for him if he ever gets his own thread on TF.

Alcaraz dropshot is his signature shot already. He can pull that one from every position with fascinating precision and unpredictability. I don't want to sound like we are drooling over him, praising him because he is hot at the moment, but really he is just that good in almost everything he does. I don't think it is exaggeration to say that at this moment he is already a player to beat. Rafa and Novak will have their hands full if they meet him in RG and one of them will, maybe both will who knows, but I will not be surprised if he beats one of them or both. Last year in RG was a bit weird, he struggled with expactations as it seemed at the time, I don't think the same thing will be this year when he already has 1 slam in a pocket. Let's say I will be hugely surprised if Carlos doesn't win a slam this year and if he stays healthy possibly wins 2 in the next season and starts to dominate.

He has that killer instinct that every great champion carries inside, you have to be born with it.
In the last few years I’d say overall mens tennis has utilized the drop shot so freely in a way I have not seen before. Surprisingly on hardcourts its part of so many younger players arsenal as a counterpoint to all that power ground game.

Yet that drop shot is uniquely offensive the way Alcaraz uses it. Used to be one of the basic rules of dropshots is not to hit one unless you are well within the baseline in a winning position. Carlos will feather the ball from behind the baseline to win the point outright as you would say, hit a DTL backhand with extra power. Its the damdnest thing.

I have to go back to Chris Evert in her salad days to recall someone who used the drop shot as effectively.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Haas parents would have created him a few years later he may have been to capture a slam .. jajaja. Those injuries plus his parents had a tough motorcycle accident really took a toll on him..Lord knows he was the darling of Nick's academy and made it to world ranking of #2.. Tommy dismantle Novak a few years ago at Miami and had a great late career RG campaign which I felt he didn't believe he could defeat Roger when in essence he had the goods to slay the Mighty Fed during that fortnight..His strokes were so fundamentally sound but didn't have the inner fortitude to be a GS champion..but who knows Gaudio won a slam but Rios or Coria didn't. The tennis gods just were not in their corner.
Who can forget Gaudio played Coria for his one Major, who seemingly willed himself to lose that French Open final. : (

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Who can forget Gaudio played Coria for his one Major, who seemingly willed himself to lose that French Open final. : (
And don't forget that Federer was given a bad break with Kuerten in the 3rd round. If he faced anyone but Kuerten, Fed probably goes on to win the calendar slam in 2004.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Will Tommy make the HOF!? Will Coria or Rios make it? Did Gaudio or Andres Gomez make it from their one slam wonder? I doubt all but DelPorto deserves to be there .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just some stats Carlos Alcaraz after his win at IW,

Carlos Alcaraz is the youngest ( and the first teenager) to win the Sunshine Double, he won the Miami last year as a teenager)
The 2nd player ( after Nadal) to win more than 2 M1000 as a teenager
The 2nd youngest ever IW champ ( after Boris Becker)
8th title, 2nd of 2023
14-1 in 2023

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Carlos is playing excellent but he's not invincible.. Felix's game gives him trouble and Rafa and Novak especially will be around for two more years.. Remember I said if Daniil's serve was clicking he could make it a battle.. That's why he is bitchin cause he couldn't get the free points..

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
Just some stats Carlos Alcaraz after his win at IW,

Carlos Alcaraz is the youngest ( and the first teenager) to win the Sunshine Double
The 2nd player ( after Nadal) to win more than 2 M1000 as a teenager
The 2nd youngest ever IW champ ( after Boris Becker)
8th title, 2nd of 2023
14-1 in 2023
As has been stated elsewhere, winning the Sunshine Double means in the same year.....

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos is playing excellent but he's not invincible.. Felix's game gives him trouble and Rafa and Novak especially will be around for two more years.. Remember I said if Daniil's serve was clicking he could make it a battle.. That's why he is bitchin cause he couldn't get the free points..
I dont know if Rafa will be around for 2 more years? the surface did suit Alcaraz better than Meddy, Alcaraz kicker serve was too much for his opponents at IW, he can bitch all he likes they are the facts lol! Meddy's serve did let him down, I will also include Sinner when he played Alcaraz, Sinner played Alcaraz closer than Meddy btw

Last edited: