BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2022 - ATP Masters 1000

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Never seen Rafa looking so distraught..just a damn shame he wasn't able to play his brand of tennis today but the BETTER player won today. I am assuming MC is not going to happen

Rafa clarifies why he was looking so distraught after match when asked by the post match reporter.

Reactions: Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is some serious downplaying of results! Someone not of his elite class defeated Rafa in straight sets! This has to be a humiliating loss! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Not as humiliating as Djokovic's loss to Vesley who was ranked #123? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: Also Djokovic lost on his best surface hardcourt, while Rafa's best surface clay is coming up next. The fact that he had a 20-1 record on hardcourt with 3 titles including the AO is perfect. Imagine what he will do on his best surface clay. :good:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
All true. And it's possible that since Nads knew Fritz had an issue, he was extremely tentative at the start. Maybe he didn't think Taylor would be able to compete and so his energy was in the basement. Little did he know that Tay would come out firing and not missing.
Sometimes when you have an injury or a pending issue , you come out even more mentally focused and sharp from the getgo. YOu realize you can't ease into a match or your're sunk.

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Sometimes when you have an injury or a pending issue , you come out even more mentally focused and sharp from the getgo. YOu realize you can't ease into a match or your're sunk.
I dont think this was the case. Rafa wanted to play his game and execute his shots a lethal as he normally does. Yesterday was just not his day. the better player won while Nadal gave it his best. Nuff said!

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dont think this was the case. Rafa wanted to play his game and execute his shots a lethal as he normally does. Yesterday was just not his day. the better player won while Nadal gave it his best. Nuff said!
I wasn’t talking about Rafa, I was talking about Fritz. I only mention this because It appears there was talk and concern regarding his ankle match day, and sometimes that can make you even more focused. I’m saying that also because of the speculation of how Frtitz could possibly play that well, obviously the ankle got better and for all we know that relaxed him even more; I agree he had a great day at the office. There were times he could have folded but he held.

Reminds me of that old Packer QB Lynn Dickey, saw a Monday night Football where he looked unstoppable , and Dickey was hardly a Canton HOF caliber QB.

It’s nice when a player has a nice unstoppable day, gives hope to everyone.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Funny I've just read an article how Pistol Pete recovered before playing Key Biscane final against Agassi in 94. When final was delayed because Sampras was feeling very sick and was receiving infusion. Came out on court and played lights out tennis and beat Andre in 3 sets. It's all the adrenaline they have when they are out there. Similar thing happened to Jordan when he ate that pizza and was sick the next day and he had play off game. Started playing badly, but by the end of the game he was the best player on the court.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny I've just read an article how Pistol Pete recovered before playing Key Biscane final against Agassi in 94. When final was delayed because Sampras was feeling very sick and was receiving infusion. Came out on court and played lights out tennis and beat Andre in 3 sets. It's all the adrenaline they have when they are out there. Similar thing happened to Jordan when he ate that pizza and was sick the next day and he had play off game. Started playing badly, but by the end of the game he was the best player on the court.
Pistol Pete had an upset stomach and Andre was a champ of a guy to agree with the delay. Dealing with an upset stomach is not the same as dealing with an injured body part. All tennis players may have played a match with an non agreeing stomach but when its a knee, hamstring, back, neck or etc its mutually exclusive scenario.