BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2022 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Something doesn't smell right about today. The American had discomfort a few hours before but later covered like a gazelle for over 2 hours. I NEVER seen such a miraculous recovery. I guess the American recovery skills are similar to the X-Men wolverine character.
I hate this crap. They played same on Rafa for years, and you should be ashamed of yourself. "Like a gazelle." With Rafa they always said, "like the Energizer Bunny." You know what makes Fritz a "gazelle?" Being 24. You know what always made Rafa the "Energizer Bunny?" Being young. Things don't hurt as much when you're young, and full of adrenaline, and spit and vinegar. And you recover better, more quickly. Rafa looked tired and achy today, and he clearly was. No shame in it. But no shame in recovering better because you're 11 years younger, either.

• Wow
Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I hate this crap. They played same on Rafa for years, and you should be ashamed of yourself. "Like a gazelle." With Rafa they always said, "like the Energizer Bunny." You know what makes Fritz a "gazelle?" Being 24. You know what always made Rafa the "Energizer Bunny?" Being young. Things don't hurt as much when you're young, and full of adrenaline, and spit and vinegar. And you recover better, more quickly. Rafa looked tired and achy today, and he clearly was. No shame in it. But no shame in recovering better because you're 11 years younger, either.
Yeah being 24 makes s huge difference you don't have to be so mean.I just made an observation.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa’s been a tiebreak beast since he won that epic against Mannerino in Australia. He’d flopped in big tiebreaks since he won Paris in 2020, but lately he’s been reliable, so when it reached a second set tiebreak, and Rafa had it on his racket, it was a clutch moment for Fritz, and that’s what it comes down to. I know we can talk about how they reached that point, and that’s true too, but generally Rafa takes care of the moment, and the final set is often a formality. This time he bunched the forehand volley at 5-4, and Taylor held firm.

Those bloody tiny margins are what kill us. Great for the game though. Unpredictability and new champions. I don’t think that Fritz is gonna become a great player, he’s not gonna win slams, but he’s shown that the era of dominance is ending, and that if the field grow a pair, there’s rich pickings waiting for them…

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You probably right but I remembered back in 2016 or something that Fritz was heralded as the next good American tennis player.

All I am saying is that he is too talented not to be consistent on Masters 1000 and/or Slams.

At least with Sock, Tiafoe, Isner and Opelka their limitations are pronounced therefore I don’t expect them from to have a lot of big titles.

I think if Fritz can have a career similar to Andy Roddick, then I would be happy.
Taylor has something that Sock didn't have, Paul Annacone. He's really helped Fritz get to this place in his career. He was a woefully inconsistent choker before and he's come a very long way. Annacone gave him the game plan to defeat Nads today. If Sock had someone like Annacone in his camp back then he likely would still be a relevant singles player.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa’s been a tiebreak beast since he won that epic against Mannerino in Australia. He’d flopped in big tiebreaks since he won Paris in 2020, but lately he’s been reliable, so when it reached a second set tiebreak, and Rafa had it on his racket, it was a clutch moment for Fritz, and that’s what it comes down to. I know we can talk about how they reached that point, and that’s true too, but generally Rafa takes care of the moment, and the final set is often a formality. This time he bunched the forehand volley at 5-4, and Taylor held firm.

Those bloody tiny margins are what kill us. Great for the game though. Unpredictability and new champions. I don’t think that Fritz is gonna become a great player, he’s not gonna win slams, but he’s shown that the era of dominance is ending, and that if the field grow a pair, there’s rich pickings waiting for them…
Well said Kieran. Again Congrats to Fritz and to Nadal too for some extremely extraordinary tennis this past week at IW.

Reactions: Fiero425

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa lost the match and has never played well at this event.He can now rest up for the clay season.Fritz was lucky to play an injured Rafa let's hope he capitalizes on this win.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It wasn't a criticism; more about fact! I'm actually shocked Taylor's staying in front with no real weapon! His volleys truly $uck! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face::astonished-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Folk like you have selective eyesight. I know a player whose volleys and OH were crap during all of his 20s and yet he still went on to win multiple slams and become #1 despite that weakness. In fact, his net game was so bad, his fans even cringed when he journeyed into the forecourt.

• Haha
Reactions: Jelenafan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Rafa lost the match and has never played well at this event. He can now rest up for the clay season. Fritz was lucky to play an injured Rafa let's hope he capitalizes on this win.

Worse record at Miami without a single title! At least he won 3 at IW's, but it's been a decade since his last championship! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :fearful-face::anxious-face-with-sweat::yawningface:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah being 24 makes s huge difference you don't have to be so mean.I just made an observation.
Don't act all hurt. You're the one who was being mean, by making an implicit accusation. Otherwise, what did you mean by "something doesn't smell right?" All of the years that you've been on the forums, you know how many Federer fans, particularly, used that exact line of thinking to accuse Nadal of feigning injury, or even other more nefarious things, like doping. Which is why it surprises me that you would stoop to suspicion of fake injury in Fritz.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't act all hurt. You're the one who was being mean, by making an implicit accusation. Otherwise, what did you mean by "something doesn't smell right?" All of the years that you've been on the forums, you know how many Federer fans, particularly, used that exact line of thinking to accuse Nadal of feigning injury, or even other more nefarious things, like doping. Which is why it surprises me that you would stoop to suspicion of fake injury in Fritz.
I didnt say that he was faking an injury, I said something doesnt smell right meaning the feedback that was given that Fritz had problems barely standing. Correct me if that wasnt the data that was provided.

As for my hurt feelings, I will heal eventually like Nadal's pectoral muscle. Give Us time, We both shall be back. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I didnt say that he was faking an injury, I said something doesnt smell right meaning the feedback that was given that Fritz had problems barely standing. Correct me if that wasnt the data that was provided.

As for my hurt feelings, I will heal eventually like Nadal's pectoral muscle. Give Us time, We both shall be back. ;)
I still don't understand who you are accusing, and of what? But to say something doesn't smell right means it smells "fishy" which means that something was intentionally corrupted, no? I mean, was it not true as reported that he stopped his first practice after 5 minutes? Then we did two pages on speculating what might be wrong and chances of him even playing. What doesn't smell right?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I still don't understand who you are accusing, and of what? But to say something doesn't smell right means it smells "fishy" which means that something was intentionally corrupted, no? I mean, was it not true as reported that he stopped his first practice after 5 minutes? Then we did two pages on speculating what might be wrong and chances of him even playing. What doesn't smell right?
Relax.. you are taking this to the zenith. I just made an observation and now you want to tar and feather me. Tommy Haas was worried, TC was very concerned by mentioned that he may not play. I never said he was faking it but obviously the reports of how badly he was injured was inaccurate.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa had some issues during the match..

"I have problem to breathe. I don't know if it's something on the rib, I don't know yet. When I'm breathing, when I'm moving it's like a needle all the time inside here," he said, indicating his chest.

"I get dizzy a little bit because it's painful. It's a kind of pain that limit me a lot. Is not only about pain, I don't feel very well because affects my breathing."

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Relax.. you are taking this to the zenith. I just made an observation and now you want to tar and feather me. Tommy Haas was worried, TC was very concerned by mentioned that he may not play. I never said he was faking it but obviously the reports of how badly he was injured was inaccurate.
I read that people like Paul Annacone,Fritz physio,coach,advised him not to play and to withdraw.Fritz made the decision to play on regardless of his calf/ankle injury

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I read that people like Paul Annacone,Fritz physio,coach,advised him not to play and to withdraw.Fritz made the decision to play on regardless of his calf/ankle injury
Thanks Margaret. I just spoke with a co worker of mine who I have NEVER discussed tennis with who was at IW. We just had a conversation and he is huge Nadal fan who is afraid he may never get an opportunity to see him in So Cal again. He shared that he attended the last few Nadal practices and said Rafa was not ripping the FH the same way in the final. He said before I said anything about Taylor that alot of people were surprise that Taylor was able to play so well. They weren't disappointed so much in the results but the information they had received prior. That is not a negative about the character of Fritz or his team.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
All true. And it's possible that since Nads knew Fritz had an issue, he was extremely tentative at the start. Maybe he didn't think Taylor would be able to compete and so his energy was in the basement. Little did he know that Tay would come out firing and not missing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Speaking of Annacone, (and especially @kskate2's very complimentary post of his coaching, above,) it was his birthday yesterday. Nice birthday present for him.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Speaking of Annacone, (and especially @kskate2's very complimentary post of his coaching, above,) it was his birthday yesterday. Nice birthday present for him.
I only posted what I've heard. Annacone has been analyzing all of Taylor's matches for at least 2 years and most times he will mention what instruction he gave him pre-match, what he needs to do in that moment to turn a current match, etc. Because he's on the TC panel, he'll be asked frequently by other commies what happened here or there.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I only posted what I've heard. Annacone has been analyzing all of Taylor's matches for at least 2 years and most times he will mention what instruction he gave him pre-match, what he needs to do in that moment to turn a current match, etc. Because he's on the TC panel, he'll be asked frequently by other commies what happened here or there.
I have always felt that Anacone coaching and teaching tips are the best EVER. I wish he won join team Rafa.