Australian Open Final: Rafael Nadal (9) v Roger Federer (17)

Who wins?

• Total voters

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Australian Open Men's Final

rafael-nadal.jpg
v
roger-federer.jpg

Rafael Nadal (9) v Roger Federer (17)

H2H: Nadal leads 23-11

2015 Basel F Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-3 5-7 6-3
2014 Australian Open SF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-6(4) 6-3 6-3
2013 ATP World Tour Finals SF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-5 6-3
2013 Cincinnati Masters QF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 5-7 6-4 6-3
2013 Rome Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-1 6-3
2013 Indian Wells Masters QF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-4 6-2
2012 Indian Wells Masters SF Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-4
2012 Australian Open SF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-7(5) 6-2 7-6(5) 6-4
2011 ATP World Tour Finals 10 Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-0
2011 FO - RG F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-5 7-6(3) 5-7 6-1
2011 Madrid Masters SF Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 5-7 6-1 6-3
2011 Miami Masters SF Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-3 6-2
2010 ATP World Tour Finals F Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-3 3-6 6-1
2010 Madrid Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-4 7-6(5)
2009 Madrid Masters F Clay Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-4
2009 Australian Open F Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-5 3-6 7-6(3) 3-6 6-2
2008 Wimbledon F Grass Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-4 6-4 6-7(5) 6-7(8) 9-7
2008 FO - RG F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-1 6-3 6-0
2008 Hamburg F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-5 6-7(3) 6-3
2008 Monte Carlo Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 7-5 7-5
2007 Tennis Masters Cup SF Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-4 6-1
2007 Wimbledon F Grass Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 7-6(7) 4-6 7-6(3) 2-6 6-2
2007 FO - RG F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-3 4-6 6-3 6-4
2007 Hamburg F Clay Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 2-6 6-2 6-0
2007 Monte Carlo Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-4 6-4
2006 Tennis Masters Cup SF Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-4 7-5
2006 Wimbledon F Grass Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 6-0 7-6(5) 6-7(2) 6-3
2006 FO - RG F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6(4)
2006 Rome Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-7(0) 7-6(5) 6-4 2-6 7-6(5)
2006 Monte Carlo Masters F Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-2 6-7(2) 6-3 7-6(5)
2006 Dubai F Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 2-6 6-4 6-4
2005 FO - RG SF Clay Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-3 4-6 6-4 6-3
2005 Miami Masters F Hard Roger Federer Rafael Nadal 2-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-3 6-1
2004 Miami Masters R32 Hard Rafael Nadal Roger Federer 6-3 6-3

--

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Ok, I´ll open the proceedings and go for Federer in three. More wishful thinking than anything else for sure, and as Twisted wrote in other threads form never really mattered in their match up.

The only rational argument I can give here, and I think is a good one, is the mental thing. Federer seems less tight in key moments lately, I could bet he would lose both the Nishikori and the Wawrinka matches given the way it unfolded. He also seems more philosophical about his losses to Nadal, but that´s too subjective anyway.

On the other hand, Nadal himself is far from the confidence beast he once was. He still has the edge on that department, but what once was an abysmal difference, is now just an ordinary edge.

Off course we have all been here before, trying to rationalize reasons why Federer would finally turn it around. But even a broken clock is wrong twice a day. That would be the first...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murphy's law this tournament for me I guess.

I congratulate Nadal and his fans on his 15th title and double GS. I'm already looking forward to Nadal's "Roger is the best ever" and "I love Rogers backhand more than I love Xisca" speech.

Grigor was a good warm up for the beating we will witness this Sunday.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok, I´ll open the proceedings and go for Federer in three. More wishful thinking than anything else for sure, and as Twisted wrote in other threads form never really mattered in their match up.

The only rational argument I can give here, and I think is a good one, is the mental thing. Federer seems less tight in key moments lately, I could bet he would lose both the Nishikori and the Wawrinka matches given the way it unfolded. He also seems more philosophical about his losses to Nadal, but that´s too subjective anyway.

On the other hand, Nadal himself is far from the confidence beast he once was. He still has the edge on that department, but what once was an abysmal difference, is now just an ordinary edge.

Off course we have all been here before, trying to rationalize reasons why Federer would finally turn it around. But even a broken clock is wrong twice a day. That would be the first...

There were plenty of reasons to think Roger could win matches like 2008 Wimbledon, and 2009 AO, and yet he rather pathetically couldn't even win one of those. I honestly can't think of one reason to give him more than a puncher's chance here.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There were plenty of reasons to think Roger could win matches like 2008 Wimbledon, and 2009 AO, and yet he rather pathetically couldn't even win one of those. I honestly can't think of one reason to give him more than a puncher's chance here.
I guess that's it, in a nutshell.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It was interesting during his on court interview with Courier, he talked about how his loss at RG 08 was in his head and probably cost him any chance of really competing in the first two sets of the Wimbledon final. He said that he'd lost so many clay court matches against Rafa near the start that it affected how he approached Rafa on all surfaces. Glad to hear he's finally admitting what we all knew! More than anything else it really does seem like he's just playing for the love of the game now. If he can bring that to the court maybe he'll surprise us. I'm not holding my breath!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Nadal will retrieve like crazy and when the opportunity arises start pounding federers backhand. Inevitably federer will because of his less risk averse game start shanking, affecting his confidence and bringing back memories he doesn't need. And that will be the end of it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Only kidding. I'm not sure what this tournament says about Wawrinka or Dimitrov, or Djokovic or Murray, but I know what it says about Roger and Rafa. They are two grizzled, be-damned competitors, who've rarely seen a window of opportunity they wouldn't slip through somehow. I don't know if the old narrative will hold between them, though I hope so. But they are not the same people they were 8 years ago, so a fresh chance for Roger, for sure. I doubt Rafa is still in his head. Other than playing Stan in the last 3 sets, he looked very fine this tournament. For Rafa's part, he'll be tired, but he knows what he has to do, and will put his whole self into it. I like Roger's quote, after his win the other night: "I may not be able to walk for the next 5 months, but I'll give it everything I have." Or something like that. I hope neither has to give up their legs, but I think they will throw everything at it. I hope it's a great match.

Reactions: Tennis Fan and mrzz

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Agreed with everything except the part where you doubt Rafa is still in his head. If anything is a given it's that.

And I also thought Roger looked like crap the whole match against Stan. The only similarities between the semis is it left me wondering how the hell the winners got through because I felt they were outplayed for the most part. But unlike the Roger-Stan semi the match today was truly terrific tennis. Grigor was not missing much and controlled most of the rallies until the 5th set when Rafa played unbelievable. Even then Grigor had chances, the match came down to whoever won the game with Rafa serving at 3-4. Once Rafa held I think everyone knew the match was over. But going back to Roger he is going to have to move and serve a lot better than he did vs. Stan or this won't even go 4.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was interesting during his on court interview with Courier, he talked about how his loss at RG 08 was in his head and probably cost him any chance of really competing in the first two sets of the Wimbledon final. He said that he'd lost so many clay court matches against Rafa near the start that it affected how he approached Rafa on all surfaces. Glad to hear he's finally admitting what we all knew! More than anything else it really does seem like he's just playing for the love of the game now. If he can bring that to the court maybe he'll surprise us. I'm not holding my breath!
I'm hoping for same old-same old, but thinking the alternative is not possible is a failure of imagination. Who would have even guessed they'd both be back in this final? I'm guessing: no one. At this stage of their careers, I defy anyone to really predict what happens next.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Agreed with everything except the part where you doubt Rafa is still in his head. If anything is a given it's that.

And I also thought Roger looked like crap the whole match against Stan. The only similarities between the semis is it left me wondering how the hell the winners got through because I felt they were outplayed for the most part. But unlike the Roger-Stan semi the match today was truly terrific tennis. Grigor was not missing much and controlled most of the rallies until the 5th set when Rafa played unbelievable. Even then Grigor had chances, the match came down to whoever won the game with Rafa serving at 3-4. Once Rafa held I think everyone knew the match was over. But going back to Roger he is going to have to move and serve a lot better than he did vs. Stan or this won't even go 4.

That's an interesting perspective, because I did sleep through the first 2.5 sets of SFvSW. I just assumed Roger was much better. And today's was the kind of match that gets Rafa's confidence and juju going. It's also why everyone says his career will be shorter...he likes the long slog, believes he needs to suffer for his tennis. Aside from the one-less day off, that could be an advantage to Nadal.

As to being in Roger's head, I have nothing to base that on, other than the notion that Roger is, by especially Annacone's account, an optimist, and he has eyes. If Rafa has lost his aura with most of the field, I don't know why Roger should be completely immune.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
If Rafa has lost his aura with most of the field, I don't know why Roger should be completely immune.

That´s the best argument till now. Now someone please forward it to Federer´s camp.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That´s the best argument till now. Now someone please forward it to Federer´s camp.
Nadal just reached the final of his least successful major. His aura looked pretty good to me when he was two breakpoints down at 4-4 in the fifth today.

Reactions: Mary

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal just reached the final of his least successful major. His aura looked pretty good to me when he was two breakpoints down at 4-4 in the fifth today.
That wasn't his aura, it was his tennis, which he still has.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions

He won Wimbledon twice but I bet his win/loss ratio in Australia is better. Yes, he gutted out this one but old Nadal would had his "aura" working way before the fifth.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He won Wimbledon twice but I bet his win/loss ratio in Australia is better. Yes, he gutted out this one but old Nadal would had his "aura" working way before the fifth.

True, but what about the 35 year old across the net? It's somewhat of a prelude to the senior tour. :lol6:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
True, but what about the 35 year old across the net? It's somewhat of a prelude to the senior tour. :lol6:

Would you let me stay positive or what? Not that are a lot of things to hang too...

Last edited:
Reactions: Denis

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal was mentally off for awhile but he clearly has not forgot to play and I think Moya has helped him to remember

Reactions: Tennis Fan

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Would you let me stay positive or what? Not that are a lot of things to hang too...
I'm probably with the underdog Sunday if that's any solace to you. I really don't have anything positive to say about feds chances other than he's been playing great for two weeks.