Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tsitsipas in 5

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Who wins? The head-to-head favors Medvedev.

A835CF35-55AD-4C86-927F-495DA1197181.jpeg

43883743-111E-4760-BC5A-DA02662C2E62.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Both players have played 'young guns' in their q/final matches.I was impressed with the level of Tsitsipas in his match against Sinner.
I only saw the first set of FFA v Medevev.
This is a different ball game,if this was on clay I would favor Tsitsipas,though personally I can't go past Medvedev on a HC.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's go bullshit Russian! (Medvedev!) Who I like btw. Just quoting ShitsHisPants.

You've been championing him for a long time. Including to get to #1, which could be imminent. (Keep your eye on the rankings thread. Our friend rafanoy seems to have the math down.) Somehow I had missed there was so much bad blood between them. Could be the extra spice in this match? I'm thinking (and hoping) it goes 5. But I pick Medvedev to win it.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You've been championing him for a long time. Including to get to #1, which could be imminent. (Keep your eye on the rankings thread. Our friend rafanoy seems to have the math down.) Somehow I had missed there was so much bad blood between them. Could be the extra spice in this match? I'm thinking (and hoping) it goes 5. But I pick Medvedev to win it.
Actually, their animosity towards each other has cooled down a little bit. They are definitely not friends off the court, but they are mature enough that they can “talk” to each other if they walked by each other off the court.

Reactions: Moxie and kskate2

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now for the match, here's an interesting thing going into this match:

Last year, Medvedev beat Rublev in three sets, while Tsitsipas came back from two sets down to beat Nadal in 4 hours and 5 minutes of play

This year, Tsitsipas beat Sinner in three sets, while Medvedev came back from two sets down to beat FAA in 4 hours and 42 minutes of play.

So, it is a reversal from last year. Tsitipas came to the SF match pretty much dead beat at least in the first two sets. I don't expect Medvedev to be like "that" because he knows how to handle these situations now. However, it is something to keep an eye on...

Now, from a technical standpoint, this is a great match-up for Medvedev at least on hard-courts because his strengths (defense and movement) matches very well with Tsitsipas' strengths (offense and serve). The main key in this match-up at least on hard-courts is that Medvedev can attack Tsitsipas' defense while Tsitsipas is not able to dent Medvedev's great defensive prowess. Part of it is because of technical flaws from Tsitsipas (backhand, return of serve, and slice). Once Medvedev goes aggressive mode, Tsitsipas is not able to sustain barrage from Medvedev. And if Tsitsipas wants to be the aggressive one, then Medvedev is able to absorb the pace and etc...

All in all, while Medvedev will be the more "spent" player going into the match, I think he will able to survive Tsitsipas and win in 4 or maybe 5 sets.

I am curious to see if Tsitsipas' will change something a little bit to throw off Medvedev...

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Going for Tsitsipas in 4 close sets. I feel Medvedev will have a mental/physical letdown after the near death experience with FAA. Tsitsipas practically toyed with Sinner and if he can have anything close to that form I’m betting he’s making it to the finals.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Martina said something very interesting on TC. They were talking about Tsitsipas and the elbow, and how it hasn't really featured. She said that he has gone to a more gut stringing just recently. She said the all synthetic hurt her elbow. And that the gut gives you more "feel." She thinks, as Tsitsipas is a "feel" player, that this is helping him. And the change in fortunes as to who had the long match last round. I'm not going to change my vote, but @Jelenafan might just be on the right track. Tennis.com picked Stephanos.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have not said this in a while on a match poll/thread, but I feel like Tsitsipas needs to win the 1st set more than Medvedev. If Medvedev wins the 1st set, then doubts will start to creep in Tsitsipas' mind.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have not said this in a while on a match poll/thread, but I feel like Tsitsipas needs to win the 1st set more than Medvedev. If Medvedev wins the 1st set, then doubts will start to creep in Tsitsipas' mind.
I agree. Medvedev just proved to himself the other day that he can get way behind, and pull it out. Given their history, Stephanos will be more on edge early, I think.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
T/break for the 1st set,Stefenos was leading 4-1 and a few UFE from him and Medvedev pounces and wins 76(5)

Okay I need to go to bed,as I am on day shift tomorrow

Hoping this match goes 5 sets:) Enjoy the rest of the match who is watching

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm up and it looks pretty even. Uh oh...looks like Medvedev having a meltdown.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some great tennis on display. Set apiece. Well, I was hoping they'd beat each other up. So far, on track.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Medvedev looking to self-implode there, but manages to hold.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Medvedev is so unlikeable and his tennis on is nothing to write home about.

• Haha

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The way he abused the umpire was uncalled for.