Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berrettini in five sets

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal won their only meeting in the 2019 US Open Semifinals in three sets, but the 1st set was super close with Berrettini having three set points in the tiebreaker.

It should be a good match...

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm glad that Nadal has 2 days off because he looked very tired. I say GOATdal will win in 4 sets.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini has not looked imperious in this tournament. With a good recovery, and getting back to the way he played Khachanov, he could win in 3, but I gave Babycakes a set, anyway.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
From a technical standpoint, Berrettini's backhand will get super tested once again. Berrettini better serve well and hit his forehand well or else Nadal will eat that backhand slice ALL day long.

As for Nadal, return of serve is once again key. I am hoping he will get aggressive not get too comfortable on standing way back of the court

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa v Berrettini match will be played RLA day session from 2.30pm local time Friday 28th January.
I just got an email from TA saying they are releasing extra tickets for this match.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Nadal beats Berrettini and makes the final, who in your opinion would be more difficult for Rafa, Tsitsipas or Medvedev?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tits for sure would be the harder match
I don't agree with that, at all, in spite of the AO upset of Nadal last year. Tsitsipas is not nearly as sturdy, and he has not yet won a Major. He was up 2 sets to love in his lone final so far, and still managed to lose. I think Medvedev takes a lot of positives away from his win today, and he knows he can win a Major.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't agree with that, at all, in spite of the AO upset of Nadal last year. Tsitsipas is not nearly as sturdy, and he has not yet won a Major. He was up 2 sets to love in his lone final so far, and still managed to lose. I think Medvedev takes a lot of positives away from his win today, and he knows he can win a Major.
Jon Wertheim on Sports Illustrated the other day quoted the Matts Wilander rule:

“You can’t be a favorite to win a Major until you’ve won a Major.”

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It's a matter of opinion, isn't it? I'm not basing this solely on his win in the QF last year. I agree he isn't as sturdy mentally, but he has more variety in his game than Meddie and can trouble Nads more in the forecourt. Med is pretty much a baseliner and Nadal can game plan easier than what Tits will throw at him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Surely, we're not relying on anything Medicated Mats has to say. :wacko:
Matts really can't help himself of late,maybe he does have to up his medication,it is clearly not working lol!
Any tennis fan with a brain would just dismiss what Matts has to say.

• Haha
Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a matter of opinion, isn't it? I'm not basing this solely on his win in the QF last year. I agree he isn't as sturdy mentally, but he has more variety in his game than Meddie and can trouble Nads more in the forecourt. Med is pretty much a baseliner and Nadal can game plan easier than what Tits will throw at him.
Of course it's a matter of opinion. I didn't say you were wrong, just that I disagreed. But I appreciate hearing your reasoning, and I gave you mine. I still go with the sturdiness, and I do think Meddie has variety in his game, just a quirkier version, but yes, much more baseline.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa v Berrettini match will be played RLA day session from 2.30pm local time Friday 28th January.
I just got an email from TA saying they are releasing extra tickets for this match.
I sort of wish he weren't playing daytime again, but this will be a switch-up for Berrettini, who, IIRC, hasn't played many day matches.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I sort of wish he weren't playing daytime again, but this will be a switch-up for Berrettini, who, IIRC, hasn't played many day matches.

I think it will be an advantage for the winner of the match (hopefully Nadal) because it will give him extra time to rest before the final compared to Medvedev/Tsitsipas.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think it will be an advantage for the winner of the match (hopefully Nadal) because it will give him extra time to rest before the final compared to Medvedev/Tsitsipas.
A little bit. It will make a bigger difference if the winner (hopefully Rafa,) gets through without getting too bashed up, and Medvedev and Tstitsipas bash each other up quite a bit, which is possible. But they're both young.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree,I just hope the temps aren't like in his match against El Shapo...