Australian Open 2024 SF: Djokovic vs. Sinner

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congrats to Jannik! Beating Novak at the AO is huge. I know we often say that a certain match or tournament signals a sea shift, and really it is more a process of "micro-shifts" that add up to a larger pattern, but this definitely feels like another marker on the path to the Post-Big Three tennis world.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just heard this: Jannik Sinner is the first Italian man to beat a world #1 in the history of the ATP rankings. Italians were 0-23 before Sinner did it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just heard this: Jannik Sinner is the first Italian man to beat a world #1 in the history of the ATP rankings. Italians were 0-23 before Sinner did it.
Well I know he will be the first Italian Man ever to win the AO title if he does, I just got my connection back it went in the Meddy/Sasha match
Yes Moxie that is a correct stat,

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A couple of more stats for Jannik,

At 22 yo Sinner have become the youngest singles finalist since Novak in 2008
Sinner has a stellar record against players ranked No 1 having won four of his first six matches against top ranked players. Sinners record is second only to Nadal, who won five of his first matches against World No 1s
Sinner is the first Italian man/.woman to reach the final at the AO

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Darren Cahill was asked after Sinner's win, who would they prefer to play in the final, Cahill replied no preference, keeping his cards close to his chest is Darren Cahill :)

Last edited:

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I still can't believe that Jannik Sinner did not allow Novak Djokovic to generate a SINGLE break point in 4 sets AT Rod Laver Arena, nonetheless! I remembered last year that he was struggling to hold serve especially when he had the lead in the match. Now, he does not look like he is fazed anymore when facing tremendous pressure on his own serve.

One last thing: He is the 2nd best returner on tour behind Djokovic. He proved it last night. Those return of serves that he hit in the match were deep and amazing to watch. Yes, Djokovic struggled in the 1st two sets on his own serve, but in sets 3 & 4 he was serving well and Sinner was still putting those serves deep enough to make Djokovic play an extra shot. Sinner might not be as good as a defender compared to the Top 3 players, but he can return serves really well in any surface!

Last edited:
Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
AP if you are around,

Our favorite doubles player Su-Wei Hsieh wins her 3rd slam title in the last eight months, taking the AO mixed doubles with Jan Zielinsk
Hsieh can add a 4th- with four different partners tomorrow in the womens doubles final!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, that's surprising. I would have though Adriano Panatta beat Jimmy Connors or Bjorn Borg at least once while the were #1.

Checking, and Panatta definitely beat Connors while Jimmy was #1, but not at a Slam. I guess that's what they mean.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, that's surprising. I would have though Adriano Panatta beat Jimmy Connors or Bjorn Borg at least once while the were #1.

Checking, and Panatta definitely beat Connors while Jimmy was #1, but not at a Slam. I guess that's what they mean.
Good point...Panatta beat Borg twice at RG, but Borg wasn't #1 either of those times?

Reactions: El Dude

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is what I have read regarding Sinner,
Jannik Sinner is the first Italian male player since the ATP rankings were introduced in 1973 to defeat a world No 1 in a GS, It was 23-0 before the match, Sinner made it 23-1
Jannik Sinner is one win away from becoming the 2nd Italian man to win a GS, Panatta achieved the feat in 1976 at the French Open defeating Harold Solomon 61 46 64 76

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good point...Panatta beat Borg twice at RG, but Borg wasn't #1 either of those times?
Pannatta d Borg 4th round in 1973 and the QFs in 1976 at RG
Borg No 1 in 1977 taking the spot from Connors
Borg was also No 1 in 1979

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
July 2001 - Pete, meet Roger.
January 2008 - Roger, meet Novak.
January 2024 - Novak, meet Jannik.

This result does more for the future of men's tennis than another Djokovic slam win.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reply to @Moxie post about Novak's behaviour. (My internet still bad, so I reply like this)

It seems to me that Novak gave up on fighting. When excatly, I can't say, I didn't watch. I really thought he would fight with all he's got out there, but instead he went the path he explored before, on a mental walkabout.

Not to take anything from Sinner, he is the one who put Novak in such uncomfortable position on the court and all credit to him, but Novak not making a single BP the whole match tells me there must have been a lack of effort from his side that helped this statistic.

Which leads me to ask another question. Is Novak tired mentally and did he start thinking that he has enough records? Like, what is the point to chase more? Maybe he needs some rest to recharge again, loose matches and become hungry again if that is possible at this stage. He's been talking a lot lately about the family, raising kids and other priorities in life. He might not be at the best place mentally at the moment and it could have aided to this loss. Is he going to have another burn out period?

Again, all kudos to Sinner for delivering an upset in so dominant fashion, but I can't help myself and ask why Novak failed to put up a good fight.

Reactions: Moxie

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Reply to @Moxie post about Novak's behaviour. (My internet still bad, so I reply like this)

It seems to me that Novak gave up on fighting. When excatly, I can't say, I didn't watch. I really thought he would fight with all he's got out there, but instead he went the path he explored before, on a mental walkabout.

Not to take anything from Sinner, he is the one who put Novak in such uncomfortable position on the court and all credit to him, but Novak not making a single BP the whole match tells me there must have been a lack of effort from his side that helped this statistic.

Which leads me to ask another question. Is Novak tired mentally and did he start thinking that he has enough records? Like, what is the point to chase more? Maybe he needs some rest to recharge again, loose matches and become hungry again if that is possible at this stage. He's been talking a lot lately about the family, raising kids and other priorities in life. He might not be at the best place mentally at the moment and it could have aided to this loss. Is he going to have another burn out period?

Again, all kudos to Sinner for delivering an upset in so dominant fashion, but I can't help myself and ask why Novak failed to put up a good fight.
Every great has a match like this. Roger at the 2008 AO and FO, for example. Or Rafa against Novak at the 2015 FO.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Some days you get up, and it isn’t in you. Age does wonders to your abilities sometimes. I don’t think Novak is the type to show up if he didn’t want the trophy. Sinner came on strong last year and managed a few wins against Novak, so it certainly is plausible Novak realized Sinner is on trek here. I think it gets harder to get yourself out of situations when you are older especially from game players like Alacaraz and Sinner. It happened a lot with Serena when she came back from giving birth.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some days you get up, and it isn’t in you. Age does wonders to your abilities sometimes. I don’t think Novak is the type to show up if he didn’t want the trophy. Sinner came on strong last year and managed a few wins against Novak, so it certainly is plausible Novak realized Sinner is on trek here. I think it gets harder to get yourself out of situations when you are older especially from game players like Alacaraz and Sinner. It happened a lot with Serena when she came back from giving birth.
I think you are right, could be the age and just not feeling it on a day. Those matches that Sinner won last year were close battles, so it was reasonable to think this one could be similar. I just have a feeling that Sinner wanted to win this match so badly, like it meant so much more to him at this point of his career than to Novak and the result shows it.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Don Fabio,

Quite frankly Novak wasnt his usual self or player at the AO, I dont think he played well, maybe except for the match against Mannarino, I thought to myself okay this is his statement!
Novak even said in his presser that that was one of his worst performances he put in in the SF
In saying that Sinner had a great game plan and executed it, the match to me wasnt about how poorly Novak played it was about Sinner who took his game to him and deserved his win. The most telling stat to me was Novak was 0/0 BP against Sinner.!

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio