ATP World Tour Finals 2017, London, UK

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This shows you are not a tennis fan. You could never be objective, and have no regard for truth......only care about agenda for someone or something.
I picked your post for no reason, but, how many people who post here actually watched the match today? Maybe some watched but didn't post. Anyway, it was a good match. They did well by the event, even though they were both surprise finalists.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I picked your post for no reason, but, how many people who post here actually watched the match today? Maybe some watched but didn't post. Anyway, it was a good match. They did well by the event, even though they were both surprise finalists.

The star power isn't there and it has little to do with what decides the top rankings, but it was more than an adequate match! It was competitive, had ebbs and flows, and the result was in doubt even though Grigor should have finished it off a lot sooner! What did he leave on the board; a dozen missed opportunities to break Goffin even more! The live ranking says with these 1500 points, he's the new #3 jumping 3 spots from #6; Goffin started tourney as #7! That's some jump without winning a major, but the best of the rest is so bunched up, the rankings will be like a revolving door below Fedal! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The star power isn't there and it has little to do with what decides the top rankings, but it was more than an adequate match! It was competitive, had ebbs and flows, and the result was in doubt even though Grigor should have finished it off a lot sooner! What did he leave on the board; a dozen missed opportunities to break Goffin even more! The live ranking says with these 1500 points, he's the new #3 jumping 3 spots from #6; started tourney as #7! That's some jump without winning a major, but the best of the rest is so bunched up, the rankings will be like a revolving door below Fedal! :whistle: :rolleyes: :ptennis:
Grigor was the favorite, but I like what Goffin showed. He was a bit Davydenko-esque, when he took the ball early and played aggressively, (which is how he beat Roger.) The better player did win, but it was a good match.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't quite agree with the bolded above. I mean, the "definitely" is a bit strong, as Sasha won 2 MS 1000s, and he's only 20, so Grigor's YEC is better, but not a lot, and he took a long time to get to these results. Not a big deal, but I wouldn't overstate it.

Of course, Sasha is young and Grigor has been around. I am not actually taking these things into account in my post. All I am saying is that in this year, Grigor's results at big events are better than that of Sasha's and so his #3 ranking is well deserved and not achieved by scraping points from some lowly events.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Dimitrov's results at slams are also better than Zverev's, I guess:

AO: Semis (lost no Nadal)
RG: R32 (lost to PCB)
W: R16 (lost to Federer)
USO: R64 (lost to Rublev)

Zverev

AO: R32 (lost to Nadal)
RG: R128 (lost to Verdasco)
W: R16 (lost to Raonic)
USO: R64 (lost to Coric)

If you go slam by slam, Dimitrov went quite farthest on AO, even if they lost to the same player in five. At RG Dimitrov went farthest and lost to a better clay courter (who was playing better and ranked quite higher at the time). At Wimbledon both lost at the same round, even if Dimitrov lost to the eventual champion. At USO both lost early matches they were surely supposed to win.

So I would give an edge to Dimitrov here too, but above all they BOTH need to do much better at majors.

My chips for the next new major winner are firmly put on Thiem. His clay court level was for me BY FAR the highest level a young player showed this year. He hang on toe to toe with Nadal playing well on clay in three matches this year and you can count on the fingers of half a hand the number of players on history that did that. (OK, only RG is on clay but I guess that sooner or later he will translate that in to other surfaces too).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Problem for Thiem is he was good only in the pre RG events and beyond crap at the real deal. Needs to play way better next year.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Problem for Thiem is he was good only in the pre RG events and beyond crap at the real deal. Needs to play way better next year.

You mean against Nadal, right? Because reaching the semis is a pretty decent result. But, yeah, I forgot about that match... (btw I checked and Thiem's GS results are better than Dimitrov and Zverev, so I stand by my original point).

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I liked this final, both players played great. congrats to Grigor and David, hope they'll have a great 2018 (please David, let us win DC...)

Reactions: Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Vallverdu explains the keys of the improvement of Dimitrov, one of them is leaving behind the comparison with Federer because both players are completely different . Other key has been his behavior out of the court and the third key is his work with Nadal in his Academy where he will do again in December. He says: "Any time that a player can work with someone like Rafa it's very valuable. He gives you a very clear idea of how a professional tennis player have to behave and what are his priorities. We are very thankful, that has helped Grigor a lot"