Barclays ATP World Tour Finals 2016

Who will be victorious?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Haven't made a thread in forever, so here goes.
Surface: Indoor hard (not to be confused with indoor hard tournies of old, this literally plays like mud, and the bounce is low)
Defending champion: No2e

The draw is out:
Group McEnroe: Murray, Wawrinka, Nishikori, Cilic
Group Lendl :cover: : No2e, Raonic, Monfils, Thiem
Alternate1: Berdych... Alternate 2: Goffin
Feel free to discuss anything that happens during this glorious tournament.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
Questions: If Raonic drops out and is replaced by Berdych, does that mean that Berdych directly replaces Raonic in the draw? Or does Berdych become the 8th seed and everyone below Raonic moves up 1 (Nishikori to 4th, Monfils to 5th, Cilic to 6th and Thiem to 7th)? Finally, if the seedings do shuffle up like that, would it change the groups to be:

McEnroe: Murray, Wawrinka, Monfils, Thiem
Lendl: Djokovic, Nishikori, Cilic, Berdych?

:devil

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
Questions: If Raonic drops out and is replaced by Berdych, does that mean that Berdych directly replaces Raonic in the draw? Or does Berdych become the 8th seed and everyone below Raonic moves up 1 (Nishikori to 4th, Monfils to 5th, Cilic to 6th and Thiem to 7th)? Finally, if the seedings do shuffle up like that, would it change the groups to be:

McEnroe: Murray, Wawrinka, Monfils, Thiem
Lendl: Djokovic, Nishikori, Cilic, Berdych?

:devil

I don't think it works like that. If Raonic were to withdraw, I believe he would just be replaced by Berdych in the draw, nothing more. GSM or El Dude, I expext one of you to correct me if need be :) .
I just know one thing, someone is going to get spanked hard in the semifinal and it isn't Andy :laydownlaughing

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That draw is brutal for Andy. He has to face Cilic AND Wawrinka? Ouch. I was expected him to win this, but now I'm not so sure.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Murray will get on fine with the draw--Tomas is not too much of a problem for Andy these days, but Cilic and Stan are always dangerous. I don't believe both will knock him out in London. He will move on to the semis no worse than 2-1.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is unbelievably brutal draw for Andy. Novak got it very easy (just like at USO). Injured Milos, Exhausted Thiem and Tanker Monfils all land up in Novak's group. We may have a Bollywood ending to this WTF.

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
WTF Draw stinks,why not give to Nole now as he's not one Slam winner in his group.

ps I might not even bother to watch this.

Raonic might not be fit enough,Monfils & Thiem what a joke,who the hell going to waste there money going to watch this.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Just like I feared on what might potentially happen...I can still see Murray advancing in the semifinals but he has to play on his A game if he wants to survive the group. It would be a bummer if Djokovic and Murray face each other in the semifinals.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nothing wrong with the draw ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
This is unbelievably brutal draw for Andy. Novak got it very easy (just like at USO). Injured Milos, Exhausted Thiem and Tanker Monfils all land up in Novak's group. We may have a Bollywood ending to this WTF.

Well. We all know what happened at the USO. He had such an easy time w/ his draw that when he faced Stan in the final, he wasn't prepared for that level of competition.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
That draw is brutal for Andy. He has to face Cilic AND Wawrinka? Ouch. I was expected him to win this, but now I'm not so sure.

it could harder than scheduled....Murray is in the stronger group but if he plays well, he can win like in Vienna and Paris
C'mon Andy, show them who's the boss

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Bad draw for Muzz, he should have to play well unless he would feel too relaxed after to reach the #1 for the first time in his career. This time I chose Cilic as winner

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
The unbelievable good luck that enabled Djoke to reach the USO final was at work once again in placing slamless, injured players in his group. I feel sorry for Murray. If, against overwhelming probability, Murray wins in London, we should agree to stop debating whether he is the best player at the moment.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I personally have no doubt Murray will win the whole thing.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
The unbelievable good luck that enabled Djoke to reach the USO final was at work once again in placing slamless, injured players in his group. I feel sorry for Murray. If, against overwhelming probability, Murray wins in London, we should agree to stop debating whether he is the best player at the moment.

Yeah, remember that draw? :laydownlaughing

First round? AWOL.

Second round? MIA.

Third round? DOA.

4th round? DUI.

Qtr-finals? RIP.

Semis? Monfils.

:cover

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:

Is that for lack of a better word an endorsement by you for Murray :puzzled

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

He may endorse Andy, but for sure not voting for him. :snicker

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Can't stand him but regardless of draws, I think he'll win it this year. No Federer and well below par Djokovic makes him a clear favourite. Hopefully if he wins he uses some of his prize money to get a damn haircut too.

TennisFanatic7

Major Winner
Reactions
Website
tennisfanaticblog.weebly.com
I'd love Andy to win it but at the US Open he was clearly burnt out following Wimbledon and Olympic gold and running to the Cincinnati final.

Let's not forget that his Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna and Paris wins were four tournaments in five weeks. While those tournaments were no Wimbledon, playing and winning over 20 matches as well as the mental "exhale" at finally getting to the #1 spot, are likely to take their toll, especially at this time of year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does carry it on and get to the final or win it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we see him some way off his best in London.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
TennisFanatic7 said:
I'd love Andy to win it but at the US Open he was clearly burnt out following Wimbledon and Olympic gold and running to the Cincinnati final.

Let's not forget that his Beijing, Shanghai, Vienna and Paris wins were four tournaments in five weeks. While those tournaments were no Wimbledon, playing and winning over 20 matches as well as the mental "exhale" at finally getting to the #1 spot, are likely to take their toll, especially at this time of year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does carry it on and get to the final or win it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we see him some way off his best in London.

Not necessarily, I believe if he hasn't collapsed until now, he won't for one more tournament. Plus he has almost a week off after Paris, practice sessions not included. It's too important of a goal to lose like that. Everyone else is tired and/or injured as well, so it's fair game. I believe Andy will go all out and win his group 3:0. After that, we will have a battle ready Wawrinka face No2e in the semis.
Ideal scenario if you ask me, but he has to play as well as he did in Paris, maybe even a tad better, depending on the competition.