Reactions
BTW rain has caused the rest of the scheduled play in WTA500 Strasburg
The only match was concluded, was rain interrupted was Samsonova v Fernandez,
Samsonova winning in 3 sets 46 64 62

Reactions: AnonymousFan

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP you can only play the draw that is in front of you? so if you are using the excuse that Leylah could not win because of her draw, that is rubbish okay, Emma came through qualies to begin with?
Draws pan out, Emma has more weapons than Leylah to begin with, to me she hasnt got the weapons to win a GS title, she is tiny in stature and has to use her speed around the court to begin with,. I am not putting her down, she does well with what weapons she does have.
Would you like me to clean your Leylah Fernandez glasses for you)
We can agree to disagree on this one.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
We can agree to disagree on this one.
Well remind me who won the final Emma or Leylah, GS finals are different ball game all together regardless of who you have played ine QF SF, it is the final that counts and you have to be prepared to play higher than you have leading into the final!
BTW Emma won from the qualies right to the final without dropping a set
So if you are implying that Leylah had a harder draw from the QF,SF to the final, she was too tired in the final to win? please lets move on quickly

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well remind me who won the final Emma or Leylah, GS finals are different ball game all together regardless of who you have played ine QF SF, it is the final that counts and you have to be prepared to play higher than you have leading into the final!
BTW Emma won from the qualies right to the final without dropping a set
So if you are implying that Leylah had a harder draw from the QF,SF to the final, she was too tired in the final to win? please lets move on quickly
As the great detective Sargent Drucker from the movie HEAT ( Mehkli Williamson ) said..."She had a rough ride !". MM , I not making excuses for Leylah but she was jaded when she got to the finals but it comes with the territory. @kskate2 @Moxie I am not going to be able to get you to listen. Only Keli and Moxie are able to.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As the great detective Sargent Drucker from the movie HEAT ( Mehkli Williamson ) said..."She had a rough ride !". MM , I not making excuses for Leylah but she was jaded when she got to the finals but it comes with the territory. @kskate2 @Moxie I am not going to be able to get you to listen. Only Keli and Moxie are able to.
Well apparently you dont want to listen to reason? from Moi, so according to you just because she got a tough draw and was jaded in the finals was the reason she lost? dont make me laugh, you are making excuses, you just stated she was jaded when she got to the finals,. that is a Excuse lol!
Well players dont lose finals, players play to win finals, regardless of their draws period, or if they are feeling a bit jaded.I suggest you rewatch that USO final the better play won, btw Emma came all the way through the qualifies to the final without dropping a set, I suppose the reason why she had a soft draw and wasnt jaded when she got to the final :)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I think that Leylah was playing a lot better tennis that late summer fortnight,

Leylah defeated the third seed and defending champion, Naomi Osaka, in three sets in the third round,[14] former world-number-one and three-time major champion, Angelique Kerber, in the fourth round, in three sets,[15] and fifth seed Elina Svitolina in the quarterfinals, again in three sets, to reach her maiden major semifinal a day after her 19th birthday. She then defeated Aryna Sabalenka, the second seed, to reach her first major final. Emma was playing great but her path to the final wasnt no where as difficult as Miss Lil Bit. @kskate2 Miss Keli.. Your thoughts!
I thought she was playing better than Emma because she had to in order to defeat the barrage of seeded players she slayed on her way to the final. But getting to final doesn't put that trophy in your hand. For whatever reason when she really needed to bring that same level on that day, she could not. She likely will never get a chance like that again. That's why you have to take those opportunities when they're presented. Somebody had to win and Emma did what was necessary that day to be called GS champ. Emma's attitude was she was not going to be denied. Too bad for Lil Bit, she didn't have that same fire for the final. Look at Ons. 3 GS finals and still no title. How many more chances will she get?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought she was playing better than Emma because she had to in order to defeat the barrage of seeded players she slayed on her way to the final. But getting to final doesn't put that trophy in your hand. For whatever reason when she really needed to bring that same level on that day, she could not. She likely will never get a chance like that again. That's why you have to take those opportunities when they're presented. Somebody had to win and Emma did what was necessary that day to be called GS champ. Emma's attitude was she was not going to be denied. Too bad for Lil Bit, she didn't have that same fire for the final. Look at Ons. 3 GS finals and still no title. How many more chances will she get?
Quite frankly Fernandez hasnt the weapons to win a GS title,yes she had a chance at the USO since then? lets also look at Emma who has not reproduced the level she showed when she won the USO and quite frankly I cannot see her getting to that level again, she appears to me to want to pick her tournaments and tires easily when she does play a tournament, also she expects to get wild cards all the time?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Quite frankly Fernandez hasnt the weapons to win a GS title,yes she had a chance at the USO since then? lets also look at Emma who has not reproduced the level she showed when she won the USO and quite frankly I cannot see her getting to that level again, she appears to me to want to pick her tournaments and tires easily when she does play a tournament, also she expects to get wild cards all the time?
Of course Lil Bit is undersized. But she didn't let that stop her from making a magical run to the final. She just didn't put the cherry on top. Again, too bad for her because she was fearless when the expectation wasn't on her. When she got to the final, everyone was expecting her to win because of who she had defeated. Neither player has done much since then. Lil Bit has won a title and featured well at RG, but not much else.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Of course Lil Bit is undersized. But she didn't let that stop her from making a magical run to the final. She just didn't put the cherry on top. Again, too bad for her because she was fearless when the expectation wasn't on her. When she got to the final, everyone was expecting her to win because of who she had defeated. Neither player has done much since then. Lil Bit has won a title and featured well at RG, but not much else.
Well I picked Emma to win at the USO, because of the brand of tennis she was displaying, she hasnt shown that kind of tennis since,.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nice post Keli. I think it was a combination of the high expectations, the bright lights of the USO final in NY and being a bit jaded attributed to Miss Lil Bit disappointing finals.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA500 Strasburg, play was not interrupted today rain for the moment has cleared

Seeds through Haddad Maia (2) Vondrousova (11) Keys (4) Collins (3)

Upsets Svitolina (7) who was the defending champion. Alexandrova (6)

The Banshee (3) on court and is taking no prisoners taking the 1st set 61 against Siniakova
Banshee (3) 61 62 over Siniakova

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Colour Me Suprise!

Emma Raducanu has received a wild card into WTA250 Nottingham ( I would imagine as a Brit she will receive wild cards into all the tournaments in England )

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs WTA500 Strasburg,

Haddad Maia (2) vs Samsonova (5)
Keys (5) vs M.Linette
Collins (3) vs C.Bural
Vondrousova (1) vs A.Kalinina

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Colour Me Suprise!

Emma Raducanu has received a wild card into WTA250 Nottingham ( I would imagine as a Brit she will receive wild cards into all the tournaments in England )
Of course she will. She'll have to beg for any WC's during N.A. HC season except for the USO.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Banshee again is 'on fire' in her QF match against Burel winning the 1st set 61 in Strasburg
Banshee continues her great run in Strasburg 61 63

Earlier QF matches results,

Samsonova (5) d Haddad Maia (2)
Keys (5) d Linette 61 63

The last QF match
Vondrousova (1) vs Kalinina ( who is dating my Italian Sinner, hmm I dont like her history with former boy friends btw)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW just saw on social media Stef and Paula Badosa having their photo together outside a French restaurant in Paris, still no official word they are back together as a couple, though I must say the break up didnt last long, seen in MC holding hands and driving off in Stef's car :)

• Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well deserved!

Danielle Collins will be back in the Top Ten after Strasbourg, when the new rankings come out on Monday, ( she has made the SFs), regardless of whats going to happen in the rest of the the week.

Last edited: