2024 WTA News & Gossip

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This is Very Sad News,

Konstantin Kolstov's death has been confirmed by his club, Salvat Yulaev, (passed away suddenly in Miami).He was Aryna Sabalneka's long time boy friend and former hockey player, and was a coach at his former club.
Aryna lost her father a few years ago and now this................
Wow, that's shocking. Hope it wasn't another you know what induced died suddenly.

Update: Reports say a detached blood clot so I'd say there's a very high chance it's due to this actually. Of course as an ice hockey coach it's possible he engaged in hard contact hits so it could be this too. Very sad.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka has said she is playing Miami but not going to do any media or press conferences after matches ( via tennis channel)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is just updated news regarding the death of Aryna Sabalenka's boy friend, ( I am also sad for his 3 children, they must be devastated)

Newspapers are reporting that Konstantin Koltsov jumped from hotel balcony in Miami in apparent suicide according to the Miami-Dade Police Department.
According to investigations on Monday 18th March at approx12.30am Bel Harbour Police and Fire Resuce were dispatched to the St.Regis Bel Harbour Resort, 9703 Collina Ave, in reference to a male that jumped from a balcony, read the report from the Miami-Dale Police department.No foul play is suspected.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This is just updated news regarding the death of Aryna Sabalenka's boy friend, ( I am also sad for his 3 children, they must be devastated)

Newspapers are reporting that Konstantin Koltsov jumped from hotel balcony in Miami in apparent suicide according to the Miami-Dade Police Department.
According to investigations on Monday 18th March at approx12.30am Bel Harbour Police and Fire Resuce were dispatched to the St.Regis Bel Harbour Resort, 9703 Collina Ave, in reference to a male that jumped from a balcony, read the report from the Miami-Dale Police department.No foul play is suspected.
How the hell does it go from detached blood clot to jumped off a hotel balcony?! These journalists should jump from a hotel balcony. Poor Sabalenka though.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
How the hell does it go from detached blood clot to jumped off a hotel balcony?! These journalists should jump from a hotel balcony. Poor Sabalenka though.
This news has been confirmed sad to say, he was 42 years old and has 3 children from a previous marriage, Sabalenka has confirmed she is playing, she has a R1 bye, people handle their grief differently, personally I know I could not, I would need some time off to grieve.

• Sad
Reactions: Moxie and kskate2

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This news has been confirmed sad to say, he was 42 years old and has 3 children from a previous marriage, Sabalenka has confirmed she is playing, she has a R1 bye, people handle their grief differently, personally I know I could not, I would need some time off to grieve.
Yup, I see the latest news on it alright but just bizarre and pathetic reporting of a detached blood clot from sources in Belarus initially. Wouldn't expect her to do well playing this tournament but, yes, probably playing to keep her mind off his death. Truly terrible time for her.

• Sad
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember Nadia Petrova who was a player with a nice enough game ended up retiring when her mum was sick and eventually died and Petrova never returned to tennis. Sabalenka is still very young so hopefully she'll be ok.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember Nadia Petrova who was a player with a nice enough game ended up retiring when her mum was sick and eventually died and Petrova never returned to tennis. Sabalenka is still very young so hopefully she'll be ok.
Well Sabalenka's father died a few years ago, she was very close to him, she has a good support team around her and is very close to her mum, hopefully she will be okay.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, that's shocking. Hope it wasn't another you know what induced died suddenly.

Update: Reports say a detached blood clot so I'd say there's a very high chance it's due to this actually. Of course as an ice hockey coach it's possible he engaged in hard contact hits so it could be this too. Very sad.
Not to derail the thread with this, but, as it does seem to be confirmed a suicide, it could still be related to CTE.

Anyway, it is indeed sad news, all around. I support Aryna's decision to play, whatever shape she finds herself in. If that's what she needs, let her process in her own way.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Unfortunately, he chose to exit, not believing there was someone here who needed him and that he could talk to about his troubles. Suicide is worst for the survivors because they'll always wonder what they could have done differently.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Unfortunately, he chose to exit, not believing there was someone here who needed him and that he could talk to about his troubles. Suicide is worst for the survivors because they'll always wonder what they could have done differently.
I dont know how the survivors get over such a thing, they will carry that guilt for as long as they will live, maybe going to a therapist is one way to help the survivors of suicide

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This news from the ex-wife of Konstantin Koltsov has just come to hand,
She dosent think that her ex husband committed suicide, rather that he got very drunk and accidentally fell over the balcony, empty bottles of alcohol were found in his room

Sabalenka posted this on Twitter today 20th March,
" Konstantin's death is an unthinkable tragedy, and while we are no longer together, my heart is broken.Please respect my privacy and his family's privacy during this difficult time"

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a further post regarding Konstantin Koltsov's ex wife believes his death was an accident ( source the Tennis Letter )
" What is your opinion?"
Yulia,
"It was an accident.We still have the old family computer with Konstantin's email. I knew the passwords and managed to open some emails.Konstantin had further booked apartments in a different location.Purchases that have not yet arrived and paid for.Rented a car for a long time.That is, he did not intend to die.Anything,of course, can go to your head, but there was no sign of tragedy.
What is the picture of what happened after reading all the details?"
Yulia,
" Most likely, he was very drunk.Unfortunately, hockey players are sometimes guilty of this.Empty alcohol bottles were found in the room where Konstantin stayed.There was a balcony overlooking the ocean.Probably Konstantin did not keep track of his actions."
" Would you like it to be confirmed that it was an accident?"
Yulia,
" Yes.It would be calmer for the children, Daniil and Alexander read about suicide on the internet and, of course, they felt uneasy".

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I want to know what Tiafoe did to Coco and Shelton.She has been saying very shady stuff about him and just wondering if Tiafoe is being bullied behind the scenes and it's affecting his game.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I suppose she wants match play on the clay for the up coming clay season, still there is a silver lining Halep didnt get one :)
I don't want to see her mug at this event and might as well go to Europe and prepare for Madrid where she will get red carpet treatment .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't want to see her mug at this event and might as well go to Europe and prepare for Madrid where she will get red carpet treatment .
After IW she headed straight back to Europe , no mention where her next clay tournament is.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Stuttgart WTA500 Wild Cards
Emma Radacunu
Angie Kerber
Laura Siegemund
Tatjana Maria