2024 WTA News & Gossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena Vesina's comeback will not happen at Indian Wells, as a cold and some niggles from her previous injuries have hindered her progress.Most likely that she will begin her comeback during the clay court season instead

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The WTA have ' still not announced' where the WTA Finals will be held in 2024? seeing it is nearly March, I am hearing 'strong rumors' it will be in Saudi Arabia! though I must admit I will not be surprised, and I Will Not Be Watching if that is where the Finals will be held at the end of the year

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The No 2 seed Haddad Maia defeated in a tough battle 36 63 64 by Katie Boulter, who reaches her first QF at the WTA500 level in San Diego
The No 1 seed Jess Pegula playing her first match since the AO with a comfortable win over Niemeier 60 64

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The WTA have ' still not announced' where the WTA Finals will be held in 2024? seeing it is nearly March, I am hearing 'strong rumors' it will be in Saudi Arabia! though I must admit I will not be surprised, and I Will Not Be Watching if that is where the Finals will be held at the end of the year
Philadelphia needs to put a bid in for this. We can definitely hold the event. I mean, we hosted a Viriginia Slims event from 1991-94 (and in November of all months). I'd definitely attend if the WTA Finals were in Philadelphia.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Philadelphia needs to put a bid in for this. We can definitely hold the event. I mean, we hosted a Viriginia Slims event from 1991-94 (and in November of all months). I'd definitely attend if the WTA Finals were in Philadelphia.
II cant see the WTA going to Philly, my money is on Saudi Arabia sad to say.this will just be a stepping stone for the Saudis to have more tournaments for the WTA tour then they do now, and they have the money to back it up.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
II cant see the WTA going to Philly, my money is on Saudi Arabia sad to say.
Are they going to accept Kasatkina or treat people of color with respect because that place is well known for abusing maids from the Philippines, Africa or South America.

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Are they going to accept Kasatkina or treat people of color with respect because that place is well known for abusing maids from the Philippines, Africa or South America.
I cant see them changing their views on gay people

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Venus Williams, Caroline Woznicacki and Emma Raducanu have been awarded wild cards for Miami Open

• Wow
Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay someone can correct me if I am wrong?
I thought a player could only received 3 main wild cards in one season
Emma Raducanu received 1 for Auckland, 1 for Stuggart, 1 for Miami ( which is owned by IMG, no surprises she got a WC)
Emma is in LA doing sponsors work apparently, tennis experts believe she will get one for IW? making that 4 main draw wild cards
Updated news, Emma is waiting to see if she receives a WC at IW.

Last edited:
  • Haha

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
San Diego Open QFs on Friday

Donna Vekic vs Katie Boutler
Daria Saville vs Emma Navarro
Jessica Pegula vs Anna Blinkova
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs Marta Kostyuk

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Okay someone can correct me if I am wrong?
I thought a player could only received 3 main wild cards in one season
Emma Raducanu received 1 for Auckland, 1 for Stuggart, 1 for Miami ( which is owned by IMG, no surprises she got a WC)
Emma is in LA doing sponsors work apparently, tennis experts believe she will get one for IW? making that 4 main draw wild cards
Updated news, Emma is waiting to see if she receives a WC at IW.
I want her to play IGA..lol ..make another first round exit.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I just looked up the rule of wild cards in the WTA rule book,
Here is the exception,
Any player who is a past singles champion of the WTA Finals or Grand Slam champion will be allowed to accept an unlimited number of singles.
Main Draw Wild Cards, including Top 20 Singles wild cards and
WTA 125 Top 11-50 Wild Cards if such players is a Top 11-50 player

Reactions: kskate2 and tented

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I just looked up the rule of wild cards in the WTA rule book,
Here is the exception,
Any player who is a past singles champion of the WTA Finals or Grand Slam champion will be allowed to accept an unlimited number of singles.
Main Draw Wild Cards, including Top 20 Singles wild cards and
WTA 125 Top 11-50 Wild Cards if such players is a Top 11-50 player
Thanks. I was coming here to tell you it's unlimited for the two categories you mentioned. Meaning, Emma will likely get WC's for the rest of her life

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
#1 seed Kalinina in trouble. Down a set and a break in Austin

EDIT: Girlfriend must have gotten a bee sting. Since I typed the original post, she completely turned this around winning 11/13 games and closed out the match 1-6 6-4 6-2

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Katie Boulter's 1st WTA500 SF, she defeated Vekic (7) in the QF in San Diego 64 63
First time Boulter has beaten multiple Top 50 players in an event, she will break Top 40

Reactions: kskate2 and tossip

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
BTW Emma did receive a wild card into Indian Wells
These wildcards should be given to deserving players and Emma is not deserving.I am beginning to suspect that she took something to win the way she did,and she had to win in NY because of the sponsors.Her agent wants money ...a lot and just suspicious of her and her team.The way she won in NY reminds me of the way pova won at Wimbledon.I see retiring early and joining another eisenbuddy Laura Robson doing commentary.