2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing I have noticed with Ruud’s game is his backhand is doing much better and holding up. He also is moving forward, and he seems to be growing more comfortable at net. He probably does need to add someone on his team that works with him on his court positioning. It will definitely help him find more success on grass and hard courts.
I just finished watching the highlights of Ruud v Stef, yes his bhand was much better in that match, he just needs to have more consistency with it.Anyway a well deserved title and he finally wins a ATP500 title

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The American players have always been a bit more disappointing with their clay schedules. You are definitely not going to improve on it if you aren’t making an effort to play on it.

Reactions: kskate2

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It will help his game overall. Since he's not a huge hitter he's not likely to boss most of the points. The advantage for him will be to find ways to take the ball early, create different looks w/ spin and placement, and come to the net whenever he sees a clear advantage to do so.
I want to scream at him when I see him living in no man’s land. I’m like you aren’t doing yourself any favors.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Maybe someone who knows can explain to me, since they started a Pickleball channel, why show Pickleball on the Tennis Channel when you have 5 finals from earlier today that need to be replayed for anybody who wasn't able to see them live?
I'm so sick of pickleball being pushed down on our viewership..it's fun at times to play but not for TV. IMO

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm afraid Thiem is toast. I don't see him coming back to anything close to his peak form, and I'd guess is probably going to retire in the next year or so. He's on the wrong side of 30 (crazy to think he's that old) and it has now been over 3 years since he was playing well.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Fonzie alert. He's won his first two matches at Bucharest (ATP 250). #240 in the live rankings. He's beaten Sonego and Albot, both of whom are former top 40 guys (Sonego ranked as high as 21 at one point, and is currently 57).

Not bad for a 17-year old. Really interested in seeing how this kid does. Maybe we can lure @mrzz back to tell us more.
Apart from my few words on this post, only a few things I can add:

I talked to a few people who saw him playing/practicing in person. They told me his power is insane. All players hit very hard in practice, but, according to this witness, he stood out. It is interesting to see that, no matter who he plays, he is never blown away, and he is always trying to dictate. One can see that he still lacks stamina both in the deep end of matches and tournaments. He is not the first promising Brazilian junior (we had our fair share of #1/junior major winners), but his odds are looking better by the day to be one of the best Brazilians ever (which is not much by this forum standards. If he breaks into top 20 he would be already the second best Brazilian ever, right now he is around #250).

I saw two or three of his matches. One thing that stood out is that, albeit aggressive, he has tennis IQ. Half the globe is betting on his potential. He just got a WC to Madrid as further evidence of that.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Apart from my few words on this post, only a few things I can add:

I talked to a few people who saw him playing/practicing in person. They told me his power is insane. All players hit very hard in practice, but, according to this witness, he stood out. It is interesting to see that, no matter who he plays, he is never blown away, and he is always trying to dictate. One can see that he still lacks stamina both in the deep end of matches and tournaments. He is not the first promising Brazilian junior (we had our fair share of #1/junior major winners), but his odds are looking better by the day to be one of the best Brazilians ever (which is not much by this forum standards. If he breaks into top 20 he would be already the second best Brazilian ever, right now he is around #250).

I saw two or three of his matches. One thing that stood out is that, albeit aggressive, he has tennis IQ. Half the globe is betting on his potential. He just got a WC to Madrid as further evidence of that.
Hey bud! He's an exciting young player, and from what I can see seems to have a great mentality and maturity for his age, to go along with the talent. As I said, he's become a personal favorite and I'm with that half of the world that is betting on his potential.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal will play in the 2024 Laver Cup., joins Alcaraz, Medvedev and Zverev in Team Europe,.That means he is not planning to stop in the middle of the year- body permitting

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak Djokovic wins his 5th Laureus "Sportsman of the Year' award ( equaling Roger Federer's 5 Laureus Sportsman of the Year awards)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa Nadal will play in the 2024 Laver Cup., joins Alcaraz, Medvedev and Zverev in Team Europe,.That means he is not planning to stop in the middle of the year- body permitting
What's the latest from Rafa in regards to how did his body recover from Barcy?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree, I think we had a conversation regarding Diego, regarding his poor results I read he is frustrated with his results especially on clay, if he wants to play Rome he will have to play qualifiers again
Lots of players look done to me for a while and should think about retirement. Schwartzman, Thiem, Goffin, Wawrinka, Murray, Fognini. Only Monfils is having a good season so far.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lots of players look done to me for a while and should think about retirement. Schwartzman, Thiem, Goffin, Wawrinka, Murray, Fognini. Only Monfils is having a good season so far.
Agree, Monfils while staying fairly healthy so far this year is having a good season, I also think his wife Elina Svitolina has had a good influence on him training as well, Monfils always a fan favorite and seems to attract good crowds at the tournaments he plays in.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
The frustrating thing about Monfils is that he always had the talent to be great. Just ask Novak Djokovic, who has said that Monfils was the toughest opponent he played in the juniors. I just hated how Monfils waited until he was 37 to finally take tennis seriously. I will always wonder what if he had done so at a younger age. Could he have been one of the greats like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The frustrating thing about Monfils is that he always had the talent to be great. Just ask Novak Djokovic, who has said that Monfils was the toughest opponent he played in the juniors. I just hated how Monfils waited until he was 37 to finally take tennis seriously. I will always wonder what if he had done so at a younger age. Could he have been one of the greats like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, etc?
Nah. He's made of glass.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Nah. He's made of glass.
Front what I truly don't understand is Novak has provided the blueprint to taking care of an older body years ago by daily stretching exercises and a very strict diet but most of these guys don't follow it. That's like if a top software technology CEO writes a handbook about how to stay on top of technology challenges such as cyber security, AI and ML, I would have to be a complete idiot not to listen and adapt.