2024 ATP General News

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the Germany final,
Struff is just one set away from his first ATP title, winning the 1st set 75 over Fritz
Struff game is flourishing in these cold weather conditions and Fritz got his ass frozen. It's only 4-5 degC with rain drizzle, people are in winter jackets and wool caps. Awful weather.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
ATP has made a 'rod for its own back' with this insane coaching rule, Stef's dad could talk and bark instructions under water with duck tape over his mouth, it wasnt the first time in the tournament that the umpire told him he wasnt allowed to coach when Stef was up the other end of the court, ATP should fine Stef's dad who thinks he is above any rule, when he continues to coach 'illegally' agree the ATP is weak and spineless.
Did I just see Papa Pus standing in the side court while Rudd was serving . SMH 2

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Struff ( I did take a nap after the 1st set) he has won his maiden ATP title on home soil to boot, defeating Fritz 75 63! and also wins a BMW car!

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Matteo Berrettini has been struggling with tonsillitis and wont be able to compete in Madrid, hopefully will recover in time for Rome
Alcaraz was seen practicing today from reports he should be able to play in Madrid. The draw for Madrid is tomorrow ( Monday)

Reactions: kskate2

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I do know one thing if you are Ruud or Tsitsipas you should probably figure out if you aren’t playing Madrid or Rome, so you don’t overplay and find yourself fatigued or peaking early at RG. I would probably skip Madrid since it doesn’t play close to the conditions at RG.

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I do know one thing if you are Ruud or Tsitsipas you should probably figure out if you aren’t playing Madrid or Rome, so you don’t overplay and find yourself fatigued or peaking early at RG. I would probably skip Madrid since it doesn’t play close to the conditions at RG.
I can't see either one skipping a M1000. What they probably will do is go and play until someone defeats them and since these tourneys are 2 weeks long now, they can play a round or two and lose gracefully or withdraw citing muscle soreness and then get ready for Rome.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well they better make their minds up as the draw comes out tomorrow ( Monday)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well done to Struff ( I did take a nap after the 1st set) he has won his maiden ATP title on home soil to boot, defeating Fritz 75 63! and also wins a BMW car!
I'm glad to see Tay commit to come over early and play on the dirt. Too bad none of the other top Americans did. Where is Ben, Tommy Paul and Big Toe?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Glad to see Ruud show up and not let Tsitsipas get away with his second serve the way he did in Monte Carlo. Gets his biggest title of his career.
I would say he learned his lesson. Too bad it came at the expense of a M1000 final after he sent Djoke packing.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm glad to see Tay commit to come over early and play on the dirt. Too bad none of the other top Americans did. Where is Ben, Tommy Paul and Big Toe?
They took a week off, they should be back for Madrid

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like it too. Will certainly help get his ranking up and hopefully a decent draw for Wimbledon.

Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Maybe someone who knows can explain to me, since they started a Pickleball channel, why show Pickleball on the Tennis Channel when you have 5 finals from earlier today that need to be replayed for anybody who wasn't able to see them live?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I would say he learned his lesson. Too bad it came at the expense of a M1000 final after he sent Djoke packing.
One thing I have noticed with Ruud’s game is his backhand is doing much better and holding up. He also is moving forward, and he seems to be growing more comfortable at net. He probably does need to add someone on his team that works with him on his court positioning. It will definitely help him find more success on grass and hard courts.

Reactions: Moxie

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
One thing I have noticed with Ruud’s game is his backhand is doing much better and holding up. He also is moving forward, and he seems to be growing more comfortable at net. He probably does need to add someone on his team that works with him on his court positioning. It will definitely help him find more success on grass and hard courts.
It will help his game overall. Since he's not a huge hitter he's not likely to boss most of the points. The advantage for him will be to find ways to take the ball early, create different looks w/ spin and placement, and come to the net whenever he sees a clear advantage to do so.