• Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes, young champs just step up and take it, they don’t wait their turn.

Players give lip service about wanting to play against the best, yada, yada, yada, but I suspect sometimes they are hoping their opponent gets upset.

I get the sense Holger actually relishes the prospect of playing Carlos on Centre Court.
He IS that ambitious guy who wants the big stage. So is Carlos. That's why they are pegged as the best of the future. And I'm sure they both know that this is the first real "big boy" match of their future rivalry. For that reason, and the obvious ones, I'm sure both are desperate to win it. This is where you give a bit of an edge to Rune, who can swing more freely, IMO. Charlie is #1, and did succumb to nerves at the FO. By which I don't mean edge, overall, but in the intangibles.

And yes, @don_fabio I believe it was, who said that the betting odds idiots who give Carlitos an 80% chance....well, I've always thought they know nothing about tennis.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
We all like who we like and we all dislike who we dislike, that’s just life. I confess Federer’s Gold Bavarian marching band outfits at W made me dislike the player no end. : )
Roger’s Village People outfit was a blight on tennis that’s it’s barely recovered from. It revealed his smug narcissistic inner world. The gold handbag accessory predicted the trans mania by several years. Roger, and Ru Paul, a few others, ahead of the curve. I’ve got to hand it to them…

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But! He did have an extraordinary record of never really being injured and never retiring from matches. Between you and me, that MTO in Australia wasn’t legit. He needed time out to regroup. Others do it, so why not him?

And happy birthday tomoro!

TWO MTOs in Australia, against both Nadal and Wawrinka when both had the momentum. He even admitted that it was fake MTO.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think another reason everyone is so amped for this match is because two youngsters of such promise on all surfaces simultaneously on the rise is rare. That both are adapting to the tricky grass surface so young is very impressive. They have both shown already they can excell on HC and red clay. Carlos is the youngest quarterfinalist at W since Kyrgios in 2013 and Rune is right behind him, At age 20 this is already Carlos 5th Slam quarterfinal & Rune’s 3rd. Finally, the 20 year olds matchup is the youngest quarterfinalists meeting in the Wimbledon Open Era era, which started in 1968.

It’s like the Evonne Goolagong/Chris Evert match in 1972 with nothing but upswing (for now)

Youth is served.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
First tennis match I’m getting really excited about in a long while. I looked forward to the FO semi with Novak and Chaz, but this match is a totally different beast. Hopefully they’re both able to bring their best.,

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
First tennis match I’m getting really excited about in a long while. I looked forward to the FO semi with Novak and Chaz, but this match is a totally different beast. Hopefully they’re both able to bring their best.,
Unfortunately I have to travel for work this morning. Hopefully my WiFi via the airlines is good and I can catch some of the matche

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
In a way, it’s their first match, in that the first one was an abbreviated-format Next Gen match (4 game sets), and in their second encounter, Alcaraz retired. Hopefully no one retires, gets injured, cramps, or whatever.

I voted Alcaraz in 5, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Rune wins. They both like to rise to the occasion, and relish big matches, so it should be a great one.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
In a way, it’s their first match, in that the first one was an abbreviated-format Next Gen match (4 game sets), and in their second encounter, Alcaraz retired. Hopefully no one retires, gets injured, cramps, or whatever.

I voted Alcaraz in 5, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Rune wins. They both like to rise to the occasion, and relish big matches, so it should be a great one.
They do. They’re both fairly accomplished technically and mentally they’re advanced. It’s hard to be certain who wins..

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At times to me Alcaraz over plays the drop shot, players are getting used to is now and are ready, it is a good shot, still I feel he needs to have a 'element of surprise' at times when he plays it.
Wonderful slice from Alcaraz, well used in his service game to hold serve

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Triple SP for Alcaraz …

I thought the TB would be closer than this.

EDIT: First set to Alcaraz, with a beautiful winner.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Triple SP for Alcaraz …

I thought the TB would be closer than this.

EDIT: First set to Alcaraz, with a beautiful winner.
Nervier from Holger. Yes, that was a great shot!

Reactions: tented

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Holger: Must fight harder.

IMG_3680.jpeg

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m now starting to wonder if he actually took more MTOs than Rafa and Novak combined…

:lol6:
Irony from Rafa fans. We now have MTO Roger, in addition to a Serbian who is so desperate to be loved. Rafa made a career out of MTOs. I give credit to Rafa because he has been punching above his weight his entire career. A slow court player who was able to win two Wimbledons. That is extraordinary!! His grit is unparalleled. Djokovic is also physical, but is way more stylish than Nadal.

• Haha
Reactions: tented