Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rune in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, but at the same time is not like 22 years old is old though.

By the way, Rune is one loss away from being 0-4 from Slam QF just like Sinner before this tournament so...;)
Well yes, Rune has 7 more Slam chances to better that record before he turns 22 like Sinner. Again i like Rune’s progress at age 20.

As I’ve mentioned before all multi slam winners in the last 50 years have reached at least one Slam final by age 22 in the Open era with the exception of Wawrinka.

Though IMO Medvedev may break that streak.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well yes, Rune has 7 more Slam chances to better that record before he turns 22 like Sinner. Again i like Rune’s progress at age 20.

As I’ve mentioned before all multi slam winners in the last 50 years have reached at least one Slam final by age 22 in the Open era with the exception of Wawrinka.

Though IMO Medvedev may break that streak.
I am not disagreeing with you at all.

But, at the end of the day, they are both young enough to be great players.

Also, it is just friendly banter. I like Rune's competitive nature and variety on his game and I won't properly assess his career until end of 2024 season (just like Sinner).

Reactions: tented and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing that stood out to me in this match was the amount of injection of pace on Alcaraz fhand is able to implement at any point in a rally, it is an enormous weapon.

Reactions: tented and Moxie

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not disagreeing with you at all.

But, at the end of the day, they are both young enough to be great players.

Also, it is just friendly banter. I like Rune's competitive nature and variety on his game and I won't properly assess his career until end of 2024 season (just like Sinner).
Hey Sinner has accomplished something by age 21 very impressive to me, he’s made the qtrs or better of all 4 Slams. Not an easy task. As to his 4 Slam QF losses, they were all to players ranked top 4, including 3 who went on to win that particular Slam. ( Nadal, Djokovic & Alcaraz)

So again with the young players embarrassment of riches.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True, but at the same time is not like 22 years old is old though.

By the way, Rune is one loss away from being 0-4 from Slam QF just like Sinner before this tournament so...;)
I like it! The smack-talking amongst the factions has begun! The next Big 3 rivalry is shaping up nicely, at least on Tennis Frontier. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie,
Well to me Sinner is still a work in progress, though I am pleased with his play on grass so far in this tournament, making his first SF at at GS, he will improve at his own pace, glad that he has Cahill as his coach
You know I have always been a fan of Alcaraz, this young man continues to impress me on all surfaces which bodes well for him in the future, he is in front of Rune and Sinner at present

Last edited:
Reactions: atttomole

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like it! The smack-talking amongst the factions has begun! The next Big 3 rivalry is shaping up nicely, at least on Tennis Frontier. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
To be fair, Alcaraz is a league on his own right now compared to Rune and Sinner.

I am hoping that both Rune and Sinner reach to that level at some point though

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
To be fair, Alcaraz is a league on his own right now compared to Rune and Sinner.

I am hoping that both Rune and Sinner reach to that level at some point though
Interestingly, Charlie was asked in his pre-tourney presser who did he feel his biggest rival was of the Next Gen. He said Jannik.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Interestingly, Charlie was asked in his pre-tourney presser who did he feel his biggest rival was of the Next Gen. He said Jannik.
He’s had a few barnstormers with Jannik so he feels the weight of that shot..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I heard that, too. I think he repeated it the other day as well during an ESPN interview. It makes sense, because their matches have been electric, whereas he has barely played Rune. Maybe in one year he will be saying it’s Rune, and no longer Sinner, if Rune is across the net more often.

Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I heard that, too. I think he repeated it the other day as well during an ESPN interview. It makes sense, because their matches have been electric, whereas he has barely played Rune. Maybe in one year he will be saying it’s Rune, and no longer Sinner, if Rune is across the net more often.
That and Jannik had his # early on.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of people underestimate the weight of shot Jannik has on both wings, he has easy power, I think that was highlighted in last years SF at the USO, in his match against Alcaraz ( which I still dont like to remember he had MP :)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Going back to the match. I was finally able to watch Rune’s game properly.

I like/love a lot of things from Rune’s game. He has very good return game, he has variety in his game, he has great front end speed especially going to the net. And we all know his mentality of hating to lose.

However, the two things that I really love about his game are his serve AND BH. Those two shots can be very special if continues to improve those shots. For his height, he can hit some huge serves (both 1st and 2nd). In addition, he is not afraid to go for it even he hits a DF. Then his BH is magnificent. He hits his BH beautifully and can add power when he needs to. Also, his BH on the return is also very nice to see!

If there is one shot he definitely needs to improve on is his FH. He has a very good FH, but sometimes he hits too loopy and in this match Alcaraz punished that loopy FH. In addition, when he does hit it hard, it goes long. Having said that, he does have variety on that wing. If he can somehow control that FH a little bit, he will be even a better player than he is right now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Going back to the match. I was finally able to watch Rune’s game properly.

I like/love a lot of things from Rune’s game. He has very good return game, he has variety in his game, he has great front end speed especially going to the net. And we all know his mentality of hating to lose.

However, the two things that I really love about his game are his serve AND BH. Those two shots can be very special if continues to improve those shots. For his height, he can hit some huge serves (both 1st and 2nd). In addition, he is not afraid to go for it even he hits a DF. Then his BH is magnificent. He hits his BH beautifully and can add power when he needs to. Also, his BH on the return is also very nice to see!

If there is one shot he definitely needs to improve on is his FH. He has a very good FH, but sometimes he hits too loopy and in this match Alcaraz punished that loopy FH. In addition, when he does hit it hard, it goes long. Having said that, he does have variety on that wing. If he can somehow control that FH a little bit, he will be even a better player than he is right now.
Do you think on grass he takes a bigger back swing on his fhand that is necessary? to me he would be better to have a more compact swing on his fhand, eg, shorter swing, in saying that, he probably could stay with a shorter back swing on his fhand