Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shelton in 5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Buona notte, Don. See the rest of you in a bit.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That was low rent by Novak's punkass mocking Ben's celebration. Someone needs to begin circulation of when Andy Roddick has Novak's scared ass hiding in the US Open locker room when Andy threatened to kick his butt
AP even Don Fabio was the first on our live chat to say it was a low act of Novak to impersonate Bens celebration, agree I just rolled my eyes.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well this hanging up the phone act is the kind of thing I was moaning about in the other thread. The tennis is the theatre, not the hammy playing up to the crowd. If Novak gently chided Ben for this trademark malarkey, he was right to. Don’t hang up the phone, son, before the call is ended!

:lulz1:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well this hanging up the phone act is the kind of thing I was moaning about in the other thread. The tennis is the theatre, not the hammy playing up to the crowd. If Novak gently chided Ben for this trademark malarkey, he was right to. Don’t hang up the phone, son, before the call is ended!

:lulz1:
He’s a kid..Novak is so damn insecure he couldn’t let the kid have a few moments of his own in the limelight.. Pete,Rafa,Roger and numerous others would have NEVER went that low to mock that kid’s celebration gesture. the classless so called champion of the GS title. We shall see how he reacts when he gets his junk kicked in again by Daniil’s octopus defense and effortless big serve.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He’s a kid..Novak is so damn insecure he couldn’t let the kid have a few moments of his own in the limelight.. Pete,Rafa,Roger and numerous others would have NEVER went that low to mock that kid’s celebration gesture. the classless so called champion of the GS title. We shall see how he reacts when he gets his junk kicked in again by Daniil’s octopus defense and effortless big serve.
Well you’re right about Novak. I remember in Canada, I think, 2013, Novak was dancing like a fool with the ballkids after every match on his way to the final, sometimes in front of his recently defeated opponent. It was so horrid and lacking in taste. And of course, when he lost the final (I think 7-6 in the third to Rafa) the ball kids tugged at his towel and said, Novak can we dance now?

He’s like, f**k off kid, don’t you get it, that was all about me, making myself look good for the camera? Tacky and original, as far as great champs go. So he’s not really one to mock Ben but at the same time he also hit on something that Shelton will hopefully learn: focus on the game, and focus on your opponent. Learn. These choreographed inanities are a distraction. Don’t rub your opponents nose in it. And don’t ingratiate yourself unnecessarily with the crowd, when there’s still plenty of work to focus on. This game is tough and you can’t drop your guard for even a moment.

The crowd are happy to watch, cheer and get involved on their own terms..

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I didn't watch the match or read the thread, so forgive me if my thoughts are repeats.

I just watched the highlights and both post-match press conferences. Some impressions:

• Shelton is the real deal. He's not a one-dimensional server like an Isner. He has some weaknesses in his game (e.g. limp-ass dropshots), but is young and has got an array of talents and the competitive fire to win big tournaments. That said, I don't see him on the Alcaraz level, or what we can imagine from Rune if and when he matures a bit. But he could be right in the next tier, winning big titles and maybe a Slam or two, if we extrapolate some growth. At the least, he has the chance to be the best American male player since Andy Roddick.
  • I started the Shelton interview by liking him, but liked him less as it went on. Again, he's just a kid, and a cocky American at that, but I disliked what seemed to be a disregard for Novak's stature. It seemed, at the least, a bit naive; at worse, it bordered on disrespectful. I don't think young guys have to fawn over the greats, but a healthy respect for the greatness of other players and the history of the game isn't a bad thing. He just played a match against arguably the greatest player of all time, and kind of brushed it off. On one hand, this might serve him in an ignorance is bliss sort of way, that is now being overwhelmed by the moment. But he seemed to emphasize a bit too much that Novak was just another player. Contrast this with Alcaraz's conference, where he continually emphasized how good Daniil played and that he's going to work hard to improve his game.
  • Novak is always enjoyable to listen to. He's articulate, intelligent, confident without being cocky, but also seems to respect his opponents and appreciate what he's been given and where he's at. My biggest takeaway is that he's far from done. As he said, he's going to keep playing until he starts losing to the pups early on. That's probably at least two or three years away. Meaning, even if he goes Slamless for a year, he'll probably carry on until he's goes through a run of early exits. I don't expect it to be a long and grueling process, though. He'll know when the time comes, and, well, hang up the phone at the appropriate time.
  • The phone thing is overblown. I think Novak expressed why he did it: he liked it and it was playful, not some nasty thing like some of his haters seem to imply. Man, those that dislike Novak will always interpret everything he does in the worst possible way. At worst, he's telling a young, cocky kid to have a bit of humility.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Well you’re right about Novak. I remember in Canada, I think, 2013, Novak was dancing like a fool with the ballkids after every match on his way to the final, sometimes in front of his recently defeated opponent. It was so horrid and lacking in taste. And of course, when he lost the final (I think 7-6 in the third to Rafa) the ball kids tugged at his towel and said, Novak can we dance now?

He’s like, f**k off kid, don’t you get it, that was all about me, making myself look good for the camera? Tacky and original, as far as great champs go. So he’s not really one to mock Ben but at the same time he also hit on something that Shelton will hopefully learn: focus on the game, and focus on your opponent. Learn. These choreographed inanities are a distraction. Don’t rub your opponents nose in it. And don’t ingratiate yourself unnecessarily with the crowd, when there’s still plenty of work to focus on. This game is tough and you can’t drop your guard for even a moment.

True.. Brother Kieran...he won't mock Daniil or even old Andy Roddick Ever ...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Missed this before writing my post. Yeah, I agree with your take re: Shelton. Again, contrast that with Alcaraz. I know they're individuals, but man does it make Americans look like tools.

Reactions: Kieran

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don’t have a problem with Djokovic’s mimicry nor Shelton’s celebration.

I would rather see those than what Kyrgios and Zverev are doing on the court when they are both angry.

Heck, even sometimes I hate Medvedev starts yelling at his team or becomes negative when things go awry during the match.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don’t have a problem with Djokovic’s mimicry nor Shelton’s celebration.

I would rather see those than what Kyrgios and Zverev are doing on the court when they are both angry.

Heck, even sometimes I hate Medvedev starts yelling at his team or becomes negative when things go awry during the match.
Yeah, I hear you...but must admit that I enjoy Kyrgios's "displays." They usually have an edge of showmanship and humor and are less pouty and entitled than, say, Zverev. But that's just my impression.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I hear you...but must admit that I enjoy Kyrgios's "displays." They usually have an edge of showmanship and humor and are less pouty and entitled than, say, Zverev. But that's just my impression.
If we are talking about showmanship and humor,, nothing does it better than Gael Monfils.

Honorable mention: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think when Kyrgios acts up, it’s his way of signalling unconsciously that he’s chickening out. All those flirty texts with Novak before the Wimbledon final last year were Kyrgios way of submitting to defeat before the match. He was trying to reduce the significance of the occasion to let himself down lightly…

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think when Kyrgios acts up, it’s his way of signalling unconsciously that he’s chickening out. All those flirty texts with Novak before the Wimbledon final last year were Kyrgios way of submitting to defeat before the match. He was trying to reduce the significance of the occasion to let himself down lightly…
Yeah, you're probably right. It is a variation of "I'm too cool to care."