2023 US Open Final: Gauff vs. Sabalenka

Who wins the US Open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats, Coco, you are playing tennis without the theatrics and i appreciate it :clap:

I saw parts of the match live, recorded the entire final (in LP mode) on my 19 year old "old faithful" Panny hard-drive to view later, hahahaha. :yesyes:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coco is the first American teenager to win a GS title this century. Prior, the most recent American teenager to win a major was Serena Williams, who won the USO, age 17 in 1999.
Coco becomes only the fourth American teenager to win a GS singles title in the Open Era ( since 1968) joining Chris Evert, Tracy Austin and Serena Williams.
With Coco's first GS title, Coco stands at 16-0 in the US since the summer began, her only loss was to Jess Pegula in the QFs in Montreal.
Coco will be the world No 3 on Monday updated singles ranking and she and her doubles partner Jess Pegula will be co-world No 1 in Mondays new doubles rankings.
She's giving american tennis a real shot in the arm. Very impressed by her demeanor and no-nonsense (that we see a lot these days).
She let her tennis do the talking IN STYLE.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
She's giving american tennis a real shot in the arm. Very impressed by her demeanor and no-nonsense (that we see a lot these days).
She let her tennis do the talking IN STYLE.:face-with-tears-of-joy:
For a 19 year old, she is mature beyond her years and very grounded, in ways we can thank her parents for that, she is a 'breath of fresh air' no tantrums if she loses, just gets back training and tries harder.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She needs to grow a pair..just tired of her whining
She doesn't have a "pair" to grow, and I get a bit tired of sports metaphors being always about men's genitalia. (OK, I'm guilty of it, too.) I don't think she "whines." I think she carries the weight of Arabic women and North African women on her shoulders. She doesn't have to, but she feels it. She's also a really good tennis player, with a lot of tools in the toolbox, and she's fun to watch when she's at her best. She's had a lot of injury issues, and yes, she's suffered the stress and the weight of history. I give her a lot of credit.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There were people telling her she wouldn't go far. I know I felt like she needed to get the right team around her. She was struggling after she made that RG final. I'm so happy she finally got the right coach and you can't say BG and Pera didn't make the difference
Coco did address the coaching team including her Dad Corey...I think Coco took and collected receipts. "You Go Girl"

Reactions: tossip and kskate2

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’m so happy @MargaretMcAleer and I were wrong! I had to DVR it, and just watched it. There’s a lot for Coco to be proud of. I was most impressed with her focus in the last set. Sure, she got broken near the end but she broke right back, and stayed steady. You could see on her face how motivated she was, and how much it meant to her. She played like a true champion!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watched the highlights, too brief a clip but some really impressive points. So happy that Coco won, she rose to the occasion so well in the final two sets that she’s even better than I thought she is, and I always thought she’s great!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tracy Austin is the BEST
You should have heard her criticizing Coco at the year end event last year,and fans called her out for the harsh criticism.She stopped calling Coco's matches after that.She has a pattern,when she criticised Serena now Coco.

• Wow
Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You should have heard her criticizing Coco at the year end event last year,and fans called her out for the harsh criticism.She stopped calling Coco's matches after that.She has a pattern,when she criticised Serena now Coco.
Tossip

Well some of these commentators now have 'egg on their faces' Coco at 19 years of age won the USO, I know Austin was a teenager when she won the USO,
I also think Coco should get off social media, I know she is young and people of her age are on it, though there have been some mean messages regarding Coco and her failure to win big titles etc, usually these type of people are cowards hiding behind a computer, and probably never played sport at any level