2023 US Open F: Djokovic vs. Medvedev

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The chance of rain is low until 10pm. And now the sun is coming out here. It would be wrong, in an outdoor tournament, to keep the roof closed for a 20% chance of rain, or less, would it not?
I would open the roof, but I don’t think the USTA will.

Reactions: don_fabio

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The chance of rain is low until 10pm. And now the sun is coming out here. It would be wrong, in an outdoor tournament, to keep the roof closed for a 20% chance of rain, or less, would it not?

Djokovic fans strategy is: Roof when no rain, magical drink, long bathroom breaks to break rhythm of opponents, and endless pushing.

And then they wonder why Pickleball will soon surpass Tennis.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would open the roof, but I don’t think the USTA will.
The chance of rain is now 15% every hour until 7pm, when it goes up to 22%. In fact, there's no rain in the forecast through all of tomorrow. If they keep the roof closed, it's because they want to air condition their fancy patrons. It's over 60% humidity. Temps go up to over 80 for 5-6pm.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Djokovic fans strategy is: Roof when no rain, magical drink, long bathroom breaks to break rhythm of opponents, and endless pushing.

And then they wonder why Pickleball will soon surpass Tennis.

Hatah's gonna hate; as they say! How convenient to overlook Nadal's abuse of the clock & gamesmanship against his opponents for 20 yrs! :fearful-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Meddy serve and FH will have to be on in this match, also he has to be aware that Novak will drop shot him, angles and slices

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, T! I think it will be long...how about that?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I do not think it is the same thing, in my opinion. Medvedev can play so-so on baseline rallies, return and other shots, but if he plays the important moments well then he can win the match.

In my view, playing perfect tennis against Djokovic in a slam will be Stan Wawrinka in 2015 RG Final or even the 2013 AO match.

As for the Alcaraz match, Medvedev did not just stay the course against Alcaraz. He actually had to be really aggressive from the baseline. If Medvedev stayed on course, Alcaraz would have blitzed him just like at Wimbledon. I could see the difference in Medvedev's demeanor especially after he won the 1st set.

One more thing: Yes, Medvedev will need to adjust when Djokovic adapts to the situation. That I agree 100% with you. But, I think Medvedev knows who is he facing in the final. He won't get intimidated AND he realizes that Alcaraz is not Djokovic.
Yes, agree on the last part.

What I mean by "staying the course" is that he didn't let up - he kept to his game plan, which worked. Novak is a different ball game. He'll adapt and adjust, and Daniil will have to adapt himself.

In a way, Carlos reminded me a bit of Roger, in the way that Roger was inferior to Novak and Nadal: He wasn't great at adapting. I mean, he didn't figure out how to beat Rafa consistently until 2017. I think it has something to do with his early dominance - it worked so well for four or five years, but eventually stopped working as well - not just against Novak and Rafa, but the field as a whole, as more and more players began to emulate Djokodal. So maybe Carlos is having a wake-up call that will prevent that. I mean, at 20 one can hardly be expected to have the adaptability of Novak.

Anyhow, the point being that Daniil took a tactical approach to Alcaraz that worked. He'll need several approaches to beat Novak, IMO.

Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think it will be long too, even if it’s straight sets. The nature of their games invites long rallies.

Reactions: Fiero425

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I said I'll watch for about 2 and half hours, but we will see. It's late here.