27. Dan Evans
28. Tallon Griekspoor
29. Tomas Martin Etcheverry
30. Nick Kyrgios
31. Alejandro Davidovich Fokina
32. Ben Shelton

38dd35bf91161a7533ab2aaa341e4b61.jpg

The Tournament:

The Wimbledon Championships, commonly known simply as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts, with retractable roofs over the two main courts since 2019.

Wimbledon is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the others being the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open. Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass, the traditional tennis playing surface. Also, it is the only Grand Slam that retains a night-time curfew, though matches can now continue until 11.00 pm under the lights.

The tournament traditionally takes place over two weeks in late June and early July, starting on the last Monday in June and culminating with the Ladies' and Gentlemen's Singles Finals, scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday at the end of the second week. Five major events are held each year, with additional junior and invitational competitions also taking place. In 2009, Wimbledon's Centre Court was fitted with a retractable roof to lessen the loss of playing time due to rain. A roof was operational over No. 1 Court from 2019, when a number of other improvements were made, including adding cushioned seating, a table and 10 independently operable cameras per court to capture the games.

About London:

London is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom, with a population of just under 9 million. It stands on the River Thames in south-east England at the head of a 50-mile (80 km) estuary down to the North Sea, and has been a major settlement for two millennia. The City of London, its ancient core and financial centre, was founded by the Romans as Londinium and retains its medieval boundaries. The City of Westminster, to the west of the City of London, has for centuries hosted the national government and parliament. Since the 19th century, the name "London" has also referred to the metropolis around this core, historically split between the counties of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Kent, and Hertfordshire, which since 1965 has largely comprised Greater London, which is governed by 33 local authorities and the Greater London Authority.

London_Skyline_(125508655).jpeg

Buckingham_Palace,_London_-_April_2009.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think the question is: Can anyone de-throne Novak? Barring injury, it is hard to see it, but who would the main contenders be?

I'm not sure I'm a believer in Alcaraz on grass. He's young enough that he can improve, but I can't see it happening this year.

Rune is a bit of a wildcard. He's one player that when he steps on court, anything could happen - and I think it possible that he beats anyone, on any surface. He's lightning in a bottle. But my money would still be on Novak.

Maybe one of the big servers. I mean, Novak could be at the point that a big server could upset him before the final, opening a path for others. But he's still probably a better return than Roger ever was, or at least the version of Roger that was prone to Wimbledon upsets.

The other problem with the "big server darkhorse" thing is that while Wimbledon has a history of big server upsets and one-Slam wonders, the main contenders are either out or playing at a sub-par level: Berrettini, Kyrgios. Cilic is old, Khachanov is out. I just can't see Rublev winning a Slam at this point, though he's a distant darkhorse. Zverev has been playing better, but he (like Tsitsipas) would likely puss out at the last moment.

I do think that FAA has the talent and skill-set to win Wimbledon, but he's not (yet) consistent enough, and his play this year has not been encouraging. I still think he might show up at a Slam one day and surprise everyone by putting it all together, but I don't see that happening yet (unless he's had a spiritual experience over the last month). He's the type of guy that we'll write off (if we haven't already), then he shows up after a layoff playing light's out. Again, I don't see that happening right now, if at all.

Korda's another guy that I think could make a big jump, but hard to imagine him doing it by winning Wimbledon this year.

If Novak is upset or gets hurt, then it is anyone's guess who wins - truly a wild west scenario. I don't think there's really a non-Novak favorite, and if he's healthy then he's going to be tough to beat.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Novak is to be defeated, I feel a player has to defeat him early in the tournament, before he gets his rhythm, he came into Roland Garros with not good form but he played himself into form and won.
I feel Seb Korda has a good game for grass, though it is too early this year for him to win, hopefully he can stay healthy
Rune is another player that has impressed me on grass, again maybe too early for him to hold the Wimbledon trophy
Alcaraz I feel watching him play at Queens, he is more suited to grass,
Maybe the draw could be vital to these players, have to wait and see.
Nick K is still struggling with knee pain
Matteo Berrettini is also struggling with abdominal pain, I dont expect much from either player at Wimbledon this year
Jannik Sinner who made the QFs last year at Wimbledon his worst surface mind you, had to retire in his match at Queens today, with a strained abductor muscle, I thought this might be his year to win a big title, sad to say his form to date has been interrupted with illness and injury

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I found this Active Player Win- Loss Record On Grass,

1. Andy Murray 117-27
2. Novak Djokovic 109-18
3. Feli Lopez 85-42
4. Marin Cilic 80-.32
5. Rafa Nadal 76-20
6. Richard Gasquet 75-.37
7. Nicolas Mahut 67-41
8. Adrian Mannarino 61-43
9. John Isner 53-27
10. Fernando Verdasco 51-44

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Novak is to be defeated, I feel a player has to defeat him early in the tournament, before he gets his rhythm, he came into Roland Garros with not good form but he played himself into form and won.
I feel Seb Korda has a good game for grass, though it is too early this year for him to win, hopefully he can stay healthy
Rune is another player that has impressed me on grass, again maybe too early for him to hold the Wimbledon trophy
Alcaraz I feel watching him play at Queens, he is more suited to grass,
Maybe the draw could be vital to these players, have to wait and see.
Nick K is still struggling with knee pain
Matteo Berrettini is also struggling with abdominal pain, I dont expect much from either player at Wimbledon this year
Jannik Sinner who made the QFs last year at Wimbledon his worst surface mind you, had to retire in his match at Queens today, with a strained abductor muscle, I thought this might be his year to win a big title, sad to say his form to date has been interrupted with illness and injury

I agree with this, and following on @El Dude's post above. While I never put much credence in the betting odds, who have they even got??

As you point out here, and with Medvedev getting shown up by RBA today, the decent grass players are basically unavailable due to injury, or a bit too wet behind the ears. IMO, if Novak doesn't win this Wimbledon, it will be due to early upset. He always/often chooses not to play a tune-up, and as he ages, one does wonder if that will serve him. If someone like a Griekspoor appears early in his draw, when he's still getting his feet in the slippery grass, then maybe he could be troubled. I'm not really curious about Dark Horses to win, but who do people see as potential spoilers?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree with this, and following on @El Dude's post above. While I never put much credence in the betting odds, who have they even got??

As you point out here, and with Medvedev getting shown up by RBA today, the decent grass players are basically unavailable due to injury, or a bit too wet behind the ears. IMO, if Novak doesn't win this Wimbledon, it will be due to early upset. He always/often chooses not to play a tune-up, and as he ages, one does wonder if that will serve him. If someone like a Griekspoor appears early in his draw, when he's still getting his feet in the slippery grass, then maybe he could be troubled. I'm not really curious about Dark Horses to win, but who do people see as potential spoilers?
Mark Philippoussis.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Mark Philippoussis.
I will always wonder what if he didn't get hurt in 1999. Does he go on to win the title? Or does Henman stop him in the semifinal and win it all? Or does Andre complete the channel slam, and go on to hold all 4 slam titles at the same time (remember, he wins the US Open and the Australian Open in the coming months)?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Wimbledon draw is Friday 30th June at 10am ( British Summer time)
Mens singles seeds if nobody withdraws with the draw on Friday
First players out,
33 Ben Shelton
34.Matteo Berrettini
Also unseeded,
Andy Murray

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Wimbledon draw is Friday 30th June at 10am ( British Summer time)
Mens singles seeds if nobody withdraws with the draw on Friday
First players out,
33 Ben Shelton
34.Matteo Berrettini
Also unseeded,
Andy Murray
You said Khachanov is out. So Shelton and Berrettini both out? What about Kygrios? Won't they give Murray a WC?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
You said Khachanov is out. So Shelton and Berrettini both out? What about Kygrios? Won't they give Murray a WC?
Current news with Nick is he tried to practice at Mallorca before the tournament, decided to withdraw, hopefully he said he will be okay for Wimbledon? wait and see, Khachanov withdrew before I posted the news, he was already with drawn from the draw,.Well seeing Murray is a former champion at Wimbledon I cannot see why they wont give him a WC, there are 2 WC left BTW, being unseeded he can face anybody, though if Murray was seeded he would avoid danger players till at least until the 3rd round.

Reactions: Moxie

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Well seeing Murray is a former champion at Wimbledon I cannot see why they wont give him a WC, there are 2 WC left BTW, being unseeded he can face anybody, though if Murray was seeded he would avoid danger players till at least until the 3rd round.
Murray is ranked No. 39 — why would he need a WC?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray is ranked No. 39 — why would he need a WC?
Well after he was beaten in his first match in Queens, Murray still maybe seeded but not confirmed, as yet, Berrettini is highly questionable if he plays , Nick K is also still up in the air if he plays due to his latest withdrawal at the Mallorca Open, also Sinner has a abductor injury, having to retire in Halle, also could withdraw from Wimbledon

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Bublik took down Sinner, Zverev and Rublev in Halle. He could be dangerous for Novak if he lands in his half of the draw.
Nah..it's gonna have to be someone who is just as fit and mentally tough during the 2nd week of a fortnight. ONLY Medvedev is able to stand up to Novak's game at this point. Will Daniil allow his tennis game to transfer to the grass at this stage in his career? That's the unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.