2022 Wimbledon QF: Garin vs. Kyrgios

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Garin is the big surprise in this QF, and he just went a long 5 to get here. But he has a good ROS. However, a weak backhand, which Nick will attack. But Nick is Nick, and not sure how he'll handle being the favorite. He didn't handle it that well over Nakashima. He didn't behave poorly, but he had to go 5. Nakashima is good, but he's 20. I think Garin will take a set off of him. And Nick may take a set off of himself. Fitness also comes in. Nick's shoulder was sore today. 5 sets didn't help. I don't think he's injured, but sore. This is where not playing a full schedule to get in his way.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Nick is already 'eyeing off' his semi final match with Rafa
I would suggest to Nick try and concentrate on your q/final match first.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Garin is the big surprise in this QF, and he just went a long 5 to get here. But he has a good ROS. However, a weak backhand, which Nick will attack. But Nick is Nick, and not sure how he'll handle being the favorite. He didn't handle it that well over Nakashima. He didn't behave poorly, but he had to go 5. Nakashima is good, but he's 20. I think Garin will take a set off of him. And Nick may take a set off of himself. Fitness also comes in. Nick's shoulder was sore today. 5 sets didn't help. I don't think he's injured, but sore. This is where not playing a full schedule to get in his way.
Please dont be 'sucked in' into sore shoulder he was firing bombs, I have seen this crap before from him. After his 'blatant tanking' I am done with him, if he wants to be taken seriously players dont tank service games do they? in my book they don't.I have better things to do with my time than watch Nick.

Last edited:
Reactions: tossip

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Please dont be 'sucked in' into sore shoulder he was firing bombs, I have seen this crap before from him. After his 'blatant tanking' I am done with him, if he wants to be taken seriously players dont tank service games do they? in my book they don't.I have better things to do with my time than watch Nick.
I'm not his opponent, so I can't get sucked into anything. (Especially because, unlike Front, I won't be betting, either.) I think that fitness IS an issue with him, and he could feel sore and he could get tired. I don't think Garin will have a chance to wear him out, but I hope he does.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not his opponent, so I can't get sucked into anything. (Especially because, unlike Front, I won't be betting, either.) I think that fitness IS an issue with him, and he could feel sore and he could get tired. I don't think Garin will have a chance to wear him out, but I hope he does.
I am telling you not to get sucked in with his antics, keep excusing his behavior if you wish, I have seen this all before, from junior to senior level.You like Nick, thats your opinion.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am telling you not to get sucked in with his antics, keep excusing his behavior if you wish, I have seen this all before, from junior to senior level.You like Nick, thats your opinion.
I'm not excusing it, and looking at it from the perspective that he might meet Nadal on Friday. I think fitness is an issue for him.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not excusing it, and looking at it from the perspective that he might meet Nadal on Friday. I think fitness is an issue for him.
Nick has always been a lazy trainer, nothing new there.He is a part time player on the tour, he hates clay, sent home as a junior from RG,,didnt play this year at RG, only picks tournaments that suit him.Of course fitness is a issue.Nick's idea of training for tennis is playing basketball? I rest my case.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm surprised earlier you said that because Nadal may play Nick on Friday you haven't picked Rafa to make it to the final! Afterwards all you have to seen , you still have doubts about him winning the championship. You felt the same way during AO .Rafa has another level where Nick cannot obtain if his game is on.. Eg. Novak played a set yesterday vs the Red Baron's bandwagon where's he has zero UFEs

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm surprised earlier you said that because Nadal may play Nick on Friday you haven't picked Rafa to make it to the final! Afterwards all you have to seen , you still have doubts about him winning the championship. You felt the same way during AO .Rafa has another level where Nick cannot obtain if his game is on.. Eg. Novak played a set yesterday vs the Red Baron's bandwagon where's he has zero UFEs
I did not say that. I picked Nadal to win...you can look that up in the draw challenge. As I picked him to win the AO. AND, I was the only one holding out hope in that AO final, though we have talked about that and everyone deals with stress differently. I'm not smarter or more faithful...I just simply needed to believe, at that point. Forgive me if I'm saying that I think Rafa has the tougher opponent left, potentially, in Nick Kyrgios. And Nick has beaten him here. Many years ago, and in a surprise, sneak attack in the match that announced Nick to the world. Can he do it again? I'm not saying he can, I'm just saying he's a tough opponent, if we get there. Who's Novak got? Jannik Sinner, and best case, Cameron Norrie. I have faith in Rafa, for sure. Just discussing the odds and perils, round-by-round, with some looking ahead.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I did not say that. I picked Nadal to win...you can look that up in the draw challenge. As I picked him to win the AO. AND, I was the only one holding out hope in that AO final, though we have talked about that and everyone deals with stress differently. I'm not smarter or more faithful...I just simply needed to believe, at that point. Forgive me if I'm saying that I think Rafa has the tougher opponent left, potentially, in Nick Kyrgios. And Nick has beaten him here. Many years ago, and in a surprise, sneak attack in the match that announced Nick to the world. Can he do it again? I'm not saying he can, I'm just saying he's a tough opponent, if we get there. Who's Novak got? Jannik Sinner, and best case, Cameron Norrie. I have faith in Rafa, for sure. Just discussing the odds and perils, round-by-round, with some looking ahead.
I can concur that Moxie was the only one when we were live online at the AO final this year, that did not give up hope, even when he trailed 2 sets to love, she still kept positive, Tented, Rafanoy and myself thought he needed to win that 2nd set to have a chance, well how wrong were we lol!.Rafa still made us suffer for nearly 5 hours, though in the end we all agreed 'never count Rafa out' regardless of the suffering he puts his fans through at times :)

• Love

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I rarely bet on Kyrgios tbh. Yesterday just for fun I had a measly €5 on Nakashima to win the first set 7-6 at 5/1 odds. He won it 6-4 so wasn't far off. In most cases backing both players to win a set in his matches is the safest option but he's fucked that up for me lately against Krajinovic.

So far I've only one long shot bet for today which is 6-0 set in match in Norrie v Goffin. Norrie bageled him before on clay and Goffin may be fatigued after his last 4 hour 27 minute match so I said why not. Only €5 again but odds are 9.0. If he's tired after 2 sets it could happen.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The last time they played in 2019, Nick didn't train before the match and was out drinking till 4am and his agent had to come and drag him home and yet he STILL won a set and got the match to 2 other tie breaks. Not drinking before and getting proper rest and recuperation he can surely only improve on that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Entiendo mi amiga muchos gracias señorita Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I can concur that Moxie was the only one when we were live online at the AO final this year, that did not give up hope, even when he trailed 2 sets to love, she still kept positive, Tented, Rafanoy and myself thought he needed to win that 2nd set to have a chance, well how wrong were we lol!.Rafa still made us suffer for nearly 5 hours, though in the end we all agreed 'never count Rafa out' regardless of the suffering he puts his fans through at times :)
Noted! I wasn't live with you folks during the final.

Fritz's serve and confidence will be a major factor for Rafa to deal with before he can psych himself up to deal with Nick's and his bag of tricks.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick did play a lot of matches this grass season. Maybe the longest stretch of matches in a while for him. Whether it's a good thing or not, remains to be seen. If his body holds and he goes through to semis, he will be a tough opponent for Rafa, no doubt, maybe even more so given the high stakes.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have put this breaking news on the ATP News,
Nick Kyrgios has been summonsed to appear in a Canberra court next month to face a charge of allegedly assulting a former girl friend late last year.Nick is about to go to the practice courts before his quarter final match, apparently the media at Wimbledon has been informed of the charge.
To date there has been no official comment from either the ATP or Wimbledon officials on this matter
There were a few reporters at Nick's practice session trying to get a comment, to no avail

Last edited:
  • Wow

JC255

In the Locker Room
Reactions
Imagine that! Certainly isn't surprising considering Nick Kyrgios is a complete douche bag!

I don't think I have ever seen a bigger waste of human skin.