Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I get really tired of hearing how "unintentionally" he hit that lineswoman. Of COURSE it was unintentional. He had nothing against her. What he did was hit a ball in frustration, and it happened to nail the woman in the throat.

Did he own it? Not long after the incident he said this:

He starts right in addressing it. But go to 13:00 where he says he cannot promise it wouldn't happen again. And if you care to, watch the whole thing. He's says more that once it could have happened to a lot of players. That is not exactly "owning" it.

This was his response to questions when he nearly hit a linesman at the FO 2016:
View attachment 6891

And this is how he responded later that year, when he launched a ball into the stands at the YEC:

You can see why people have issues with him, and we're not just talking about fan bases or fanboys.

The desperation (as they say) is real! This can be done for any player, including Fedal believe it or not! To this day my mouth still hangs agape when I think of Federer admonishing an umpire with a "do you know who I am?" retort while seated! He was on a rant that happens to the best of us, but he's put on a pedestal at times thinking he's above it all! Nadal's list of offenses can go on quite a while since early on he abused the system and his opponents alike! :astonished-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::fearful-face::facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The desperation (as they say) is real! This can be done for any player, including Fedal believe it or not! To this day my mouth still hangs agape when I think of Federer admonishing an umpire with a "do you know who I am?" retort while seated! He was on a rant that happens to the best of us, but he's put on a pedestal at times thinking he's above it all! Nadal's list of offenses can go on quite a while since early on he abused the system and his opponents alike! :astonished-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::fearful-face::facepalm:
You cannot make an equivalent of Federer jabbering at the umpire, and whatever you always want to make as horrible about Nadal...just because you hate him. Plus, if you don't like the arrogance of Roger saying "do you know who I am?" or whatever he supposedly said? Let's go back to what Novak said to the umpire/tournament director after he hit that lines person: Are you really going to do this to me, on this court and at this moment? And also, he did say, "she didn't have to go to the hospital." As if that makes it better. #lowbar

Try to tell me how any of your examples is equivalent to Novak being on the border of hurting someone by his actions, more than a few times, and then finally doing it? Show me one equivalent example from Roger or Rafa. Like, even being close. I have many examples of Novak being close. Until he final did it. He has arrogantly, for years, claimed that he was being hounded by the press for nearly hitting people, and sneering at them, since it hadn't actually happened. Oh, wait...until it did. He has pushed the boundaries of safety and decorum, and he finally got caught. I'll tell you one that has never done that is Rafa. Not one racquet thrown, not one ball hit in anger. Roger got over his bad behavior mostly in his junior days, though he is not without fault in that way. But Djokovic was dancing on the line of default for his anger issues for some years. He sneered at the pressed and got angry that they brought it up. Until it really happened that he got defaulted for it. In his immediate presser after, in Rome, he said, more that once, that it could have happened to anyone. Or any number of other players. I'll tell you who it couldn't have happened to: Nadal for sure, not ever having hit a ball in anger, nor Roger, who rarely does. For Novak, look to the press: they even suggested it was a matter of time, and he just got angry. Let's face it, it was the journalists who were right.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Problem is you can’t back any of these claims..

he hit someone UNINTENTIONALLY at USO and then apologized, owned it.
He had been very open about his stance not to get vaccinated yet AO authorities gave him green light to come (victorian state and AO ), then government intervened and deported him. He handled it all well, making a statement about respecting courts and moving on. He has never advocated for others not to get vaccinated just that he believes he doesn’t need to and we should respect that

So far, nothing here..

what else? Oh accusations that he takes drugs during bathroom breaks? Call that derangement from those making these accusations.. pathetic

What else? Nothing, u have nothing. Are you a better person that djokovic? He is imperfect, that’s his crime? I usually and more suspicious of anyone claiming to be perfect, watch out for those!

Djokovic is one of the most gracious players in defeat and should set the example of how to conduct yourself professionally, his work ethic, mental fortitude, dedication, ability to come back from being down… i would have kids emulate him, more that federer or nadal who set an almost false standard of being perfect humans, an impossibility.

Fact is you have absolutely nothing to stand on, same as the trolls who accuse rafa nadal of gamesmanship by going over time limits all the time, having being coached by toni nadal during matches at times (federer even made the accusation), being a primadonna like making people wait for him on court ( navratilova accuses him of this). Had djokovic done to sonego what nadal did peopke would be a scolding djokivic but nadal can do it. In the end, i defended nadal against this type of BS in past as it’s nothing, came from nadal haters.

you really have nothing but point to a few flaws here and there as if djokivic is a robot… it all comes from a position of jelously, hate or misunderstanding rather than an objective analysis of who he is.

in the end, it’s mostly about how we are witnessing him erasing fedal from record books… this is the fuel of the attacks, mostly because when look at djokovic, there is much more good than bad, he has been great for the sport, at the expense of fanboys who would’ve preferred fedal to get 30 slams each… would that have been better for tennis?
The rule states if a ball hits a person intentionally or unintentionally the player is automatically defaulted.The umpire did the correct decision after the ball hit the lines woman in the throat, remember the force of the ball, she fell to the ground,Novak was defaulted and rightly so.
When the Young Greek was playing Nick K at Wimbledon, this year, he hit a ball into the crowd, he was lucky the ball did not him a person in the crowd if it did, he would have been defaulted.The Young Greek paid a heavy fine for that incident

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSicilian

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The rule states if a ball hits a person intentionally or unintentionally the player is automatically defaulted.The umpire did the correct decision after the ball hit the lines woman in the throat, remember the force of the ball, she fell to the ground,Novak was defaulted and rightly so.
When the Young Greek was playing Nick K at Wimbledon he hit a ball into the crowd, he was lucky the ball did not him a person in the crowd if it did, he would have been defaulted.The Young Greek paid a heavy fine for that incident
It is rather maddening that we have to keep explaining this to some people, but, however roughly, or not so, hit the ball was, it was hit only in frustration, and not in service of play. There is no argument, nor was it even attempted, that he was just gently tapping it towards the ball kids. He lost serve, and he swatted the ball back in anger. And he hadn't even lost the first set yet. When he was questioned, and practically warned by journalists prior that such behavior might eventually cost him, he sneered. Well, sometimes chickens come home to roost. He has made his bed, in many ways. He's just not happy to lie in it. When it gets itchy, he finds someone else to blame.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
It is rather maddening that we have to keep explaining this to some people, but, however roughly, or not so, hit the ball was, it was hit only in frustration, and not in service of play. There is no argument, nor was it even attempted, that he was just gently tapping it towards the ball kids. He lost serve, and he swatted the ball back in anger. And he hadn't even lost the first set yet. When he was questioned, and practically warned by journalists prior that such behavior might eventually cost him, he sneered. Well, sometimes chickens come home to roost. He has made his bed, in many ways. He's just not happy to lie in it. When it gets itchy, he finds someone else to blame.
It was a hard lessen learnt, though to this day his fans say it was a wrong decision, because 'Novak did not mean it' they need to read the rule book for starters.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was a hard lessen learnt, though to this day his fans say it was a wrong decision, because 'Novak did not mean it' they need to read the rule book for starters.
Exactly! Who "means" it? No one. Did Nalbandian mean to hurt that lines person at Queens? Did Shapo "mean" to hit that umpire in the eye? Did Henman mean to hit that ball kid? They're acting out of frustration, but the point of the rule is, if you do act out of frustration, and you hit someone, you're defaulted. There's not that much gray area in the rule, and the players know that. Shockingly, they have been pushing it, even after the Djokovic default. (Look at Zverev in that incident in doubles earlier this year...Acapulco?) The ATP really needs to figure out how to reign in some of these anger management issues.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Exactly! Who "means" it? No one. Did Nalbandian mean to hurt that lines person at Queens? Did Shapo "mean" to hit that umpire in the eye? Did Henman mean to hit that ball kid? They're acting out of frustration, but the point of the rule is, if you do act out of frustration, and you hit someone, you're defaulted. There's not that much gray area in the rule, and the players know that. Shockingly, they have been pushing it, even after the Djokovic default. (Look at Zverev in that incident in doubles earlier this year...Acapulco?) The ATP really needs to figure out how to reign in some of these anger management issues.
The ATP is 'spineless' remember they were going to get tougher after the Zverev incident at Acapulco? still waiting
They are all Talk and No Action!

TheSicilian

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
This is the problem, any bad behaviour from him & a high % of his fans on social media play the victim card. AO vaccine drama or the USO default it's always Djokovic has been treated badly. It's getting boring. On social media 7 months after the AO these same fans are still throwing cheap shots at Rafa trying to discredit his AO win :sleep2:

Djokovic is apparently a man of principle, good for him if it was true. He always wants the best of both worlds, he will stick up for his rights to not have the vaccine which he knows will cost him entry into the AO. Yet he still turns up to Australia to play. A man of principle exercising his freedom to refuse the vaccine would take the negative consequences of his actions & stay well away from Australia. If people like him didn't behave so recklessly at the start of the pandemic maybe things would never have got to the stage where we needed a vaccine & none of the AO drama would of ever happened.... :popcorn

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Speaking of what an honorable citizen/great sportsmen Nadal is, anyone seen the picture of him jet skiing in Mallorca with that terrible abdominal tear??
Sounds to me like he didn't want to lose his next match, as opposed to couldn't play it.
He was playing Nick in his next match so I doubt it was that, but he withdrew because he knew he couldn’t win two matches playing with the tear, and that playing would actually make it worse. I’m not sure what sort of strain in the abdomen hauling around on jet skis causes but I doubt he’s going to risk doing himself much damage.

Though we can’t be sure, given how stupid and reckless Rafa often is at scheduling and such…

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tented,
Remember when we were watching the mens doubles and you commented on Aussie Max Purcell's 'mullet'
Max said,
" It felt pretty illegal winning Wimbledon in front of the Royal Box with a mullet"

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
Tiger woods. Michael jordan

much more flawed than novak. Serial Cheaters, gamblers, arrogant af (jordan j hear is an a-hole), not exemplary humans at all. I was a big fan of them though, i don’t need perfect fake humans at top of sports because it’s an abnormal standard and usually these people hide a lot. Tiger and jordan for a while were marketed as ‘perfect’ like federer and nadal until the truth came out. Being perfect, just like the perfect skinny model, is an impossible standard and a farce. Fed and nadal may be jackarses in real life, they may even have mistresses and who knows, maybe they even bang each other as i see a bit or a ‘twinkle’ in their eyes when they are together:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tented,
Remember when we were watching the mens doubles and you commented on Aussie Max Purcell's 'mullet'
Max said,
" It felt pretty illegal winning Wimbledon in front of the Royal Box with a mullet"
Good thing he didn't put a red hat on it at the ceremony.

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tiger woods. Michael jordan

much more flawed than novak. Serial Cheaters, gamblers, arrogant af (jordan j hear is an a-hole), not exemplary humans at all. I was a big fan of them though, i don’t need perfect fake humans at top of sports because it’s an abnormal standard and usually these people hide a lot. Tiger and jordan for a while were marketed as ‘perfect’ like federer and nadal until the truth came out. Being perfect, just like the perfect skinny model, is an impossible standard and a farce. Fed and nadal may be jackarses in real life, they may even have mistresses and who knows, maybe they even bang each other as i see a bit or a ‘twinkle’ in their eyes when they are together:

Oh, boy...someone is searching desperately for an argument now.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
I agree with the spirit of what MikeOne said if not every word :). I don't think one needs a PHD to see that immediately after Novak won Wimbledon, the anti ND crowd immediately started in on the ill-fated tour he organized, the US Open default incident, etc. Neither admirable on his part in my book. But it would be nice if folks could focus on the performance more and the character assassinations less. Above I purposely mentioned that Rafa is out on jet skis in Mallorca, not the kind of activity one would associate with immediate treatment and recovery of what was called a bad ab tear. But he did play pretty well at times up until then. I admire him for what he brings to the game--incredible competitiveness and tenacity. I admire Roger for playing the most aesthetic tennis we have seen to date, and a natural "genius" that allowed him to dominate until Nadal came along :). And appreciate Novak for his tenacity, mental strength, and defense on another planet. I might root for one or the other to win, but it doesn't fill me with vitriol when someone else does.
Signed,

Switzerland

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with the spirit of what MikeOne said if not every word :). I don't think one needs a PHD to see that immediately after Novak won Wimbledon, the anti ND crowd immediately started in on the ill-fated tour he organized, the US Open default incident, etc. Neither admirable on his part in my book. But it would be nice if folks could focus on the performance more and the character assassinations less.
These conversations have been going on for a time. You just don't come around until it suits you. The people that got all agitated with Novak winning Wimbledon were mostly you and Mike. The rest of us have been around here, and have already debated these issues. None of what you're saying is new around here. We didn't just dredge it up, basically you and Mike did.

I also think a lot of people have said around here that Novak is a fantastic tennis player. That is not even controversial. What Mike is doing, and I don't think you are, but you should be careful, is conflating what happened in Australia with some notion that people think Novak is a bad guy. What happened in Australia is as much as anything, procedural.
Above I purposely mentioned that Rafa is out on jet skis in Mallorca, not the kind of activity one would associate with immediate treatment and recovery of what was called a bad ab tear. But he did play pretty well at times up until then. I admire him for what he brings to the game--incredible competitiveness and tenacity. I admire Roger for playing the most aesthetic tennis we have seen to date, and a natural "genius" that allowed him to dominate until Nadal came along :). And appreciate Novak for his tenacity, mental strength, and defense on another planet. I might root for one or the other to win, but it doesn't fill me with vitriol when someone else does.
Signed,

Switzerland
TBH, I thought when you first posted it, I thought you said that Rafa was waterskiing, which would involved the core. Jet-ski? Are you kidding me? Have you ever been on one? It's not that challenging. Good for you on the rest, if you're trying to be "neutral." Just try to remember that when you ask yourself if you're the only reasonable person around here.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Great video of Novak enjoying himself after his victory