2022 USO Final: Ruud vs. Alcaraz

Who will win their maiden slam thus securing the top ranking?

• Casper in straights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Casper in 4 sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Without jumping on the ALCARAZ bandwagon, i expect his game is more suited to hardcourt and could end up win multiple US and australian opens. Margaret tonight am going to watch the game in full, which i didn't do LIVE. I have recorded this one on DVD hard drive , however DVD recorders are considered past and near obsolete.
Dont worry I have a DVD recorder, and use it on a regular basis.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good argument for Alcaraz and Sinner to be a major rivalry going forward. I'm wondering how many (Lost Gen...forget them,) Next Gen guys must be pissed-off right now (or embarrassed, as they should be.) At least Next Next Gen is still in. Surely I'm looking at Tsitsipas and Zverev. And Thiem, though I'm sorry for his injury woes. And Zverev's. Even Medvedev has become an after-thought right now. Maybe we need a thread for this, and surely @El Dude is great at rating the current fortunes. I'm not ready to completely have recency bias, but isn't Thiem all but down for the count? One Major and done? One more, at best? Everyone thought he'd eventually get his RG, when Rafa quits, but now there's Ruud, and others. Zverev and Tsitsipas seem like the biggest losers in this time of getting passed by others. They're still top 5-6, but for how long? Anyone still think Zverev will win a Major? I don't. Tsitsipas? Looking less and less likely. I'd give Kyrgios a shot over him. Medvedev isn't done, for sure, but he's a shaky champion. And I still like Berrettini for a Major, when healthy. All I'm saying is, I think there are a few guys at home right now, looking at themselves in the bathroom mirror wondering what happened.
Theim to me is also down but for the count, sad to say that wrist injury has cost him, Ruud to me is the next player that can win RG, when Rafa quits. I am curious to see how Sasha competes coming back from his foot injury. I am still out on the Young Greek, his lack of mental ability still haunts him after being up 2 sets to love over Novak at RG a few years back, his results this year have been sub standard of his ranking. Matteo had a good grass results before Wimbledon and then caught COVID, sad to say, though I didnt think he would do well at the USO, his lack of match practice was evident.I am looking for better results in 2023, maybe he can mount a challenge again on the grass.Meddy was disappointing to me on the 2 HC tournaments leading up to the USO, where he was defending champion, I did say I could not see him defend his title, and he didnt. Nick K I felt had a good chance of a major at USO, after defeating Meddy, I was disappointed in him against KK, he could not get his game going, he had chances, let them slip away.I will be interested to see how Nick performs at his home major at the AO in 2023., I still feel Nick can do well again at Wimbledon which is his favorite surface.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Theim to me is also down but for the count, sad to say that wrist injury has cost him, Ruud to me is the next player that can win RG, when Rafa quits. I am curious to see how Sasha competes coming back from his foot injury. I am still out on the Young Greek, his lack of mental ability still haunts him after being up 2 sets to love over Novak at RG a few years back, his results this year have been sub standard of his ranking. Matteo had a good grass results before Wimbledon and then caught COVID, sad to say, though I didnt think he would do well at the USO, his lack of match practice was evident.I am looking for better results in 2023, maybe he can mount a challenge again on the grass.Meddy was disappointing to me on the 2 HC tournaments leading up to the USO, where he was defending champion, I did say I could not see him defend his title, and he didnt. Nick K I felt had a good chance of a major at USO, after defeating Meddy, I was disappointed in him against KK, he could not get his game going, he had chances, let them slip away.I will be interested to see how Nick performs at his home major at the AO in 2023., I still feel Nick can do well again at Wimbledon which is his favorite surface.
I see things a bit differently in regards to Nick's season but I'm not going to hijack your post. 20 years from now. Nick will not be remembered as a champion but just another entertaining talent that couldn't win a major.

Reactions: tented

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
any official word yet what ESPN ratings was for womens and mens finals? I have not been able to find out.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amazing from the young Alcaraz! Thank you all for watching it with me. Historic day in men's tennis.
you gotta admit it's the level, that WTA just cannot compare. it's not about gender, age, anything else, it's the level.

3, 2, 1....PC talk begins.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I see things a bit differently in regards to Nick's season but I'm not going to hijack your post. 20 years from now. Nick will not be remembered as a champion but just another entertaining talent that couldn't win a major.
Well we shall see

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Juan Carlos Ferrero on what Alcaraz has to improve,

"Return, serve, backhand in some moments.The consistency, specially mentally"

"I have the goal to put him on the high level. I think it will be very difficult to achieve what the Big 3 have done. He has just one Grand Slam. He has the potential to be one of the best ever".

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

"I have the goal to put him on the high level. I think it will be very difficult to achieve what the Big 3 have done. He has just one Grand Slam. He has the potential to be one of the best ever".
Yeah...what's scary is that he's only 19, so he really can improve on all of that.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tented

Administrator
Reactions

Hopefully working on all of these elements will help him during tiebreaks, considering he won just one of the four.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hopefully working on all of these elements will help him during tiebreaks, considering he won just one of the four.
Yeah, but he won the one that mattered. :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
With the help of my Rosary Beads blessed by the Pope remember :)
As if you would let anyone forget. I think we have the idea by now. Still, I'm going to give Alcaraz some credit. :clap:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
New ATP and WTA rankings just announced. Interestingly three of the U.S. Open finalists have all been promoted up the order to 1 and 2, while Swiatek was already at number 1. RUUD is #2 but only by 40 points ahead of NADAL.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The official full match is available for you...

That’s great, thanks. I missed all the tennis but I also missed many nights sleep following Carlos on the scoreboard. Exceptional! Better than Rafa at that age, technically anyway. He’s a beautiful mix of all the best of the Big 3. If he has the same hunger, and is lucky with his health, then he’ll achieve possibly even greater things…

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He's certainly given the game a much needed shot in the arm. I expect the boy is going to be multiple grand slam winner. Not sure if he can adapt his game to grass courts, though.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He's certainly given the game a much needed shot in the arm. I expect the boy is going to be multiple grand slam winner. Not sure if he can adapt his game to grass courts, though.
Big serve? Check.
Great net game? Check.
Great defence? Check.
Great ability to turn defence into attack? Check.

I think he’ll be very good on grass. The great comparison we have so far is with Rafa, age-wise, but I think Carlos is technically far ahead of Rafa at that same age. I think he’s going to be a challenge at all slams, if he retains the same mentality and fitness he has now.

Ruud is good but I’m glad he didn’t win. He’s not that player that I’d like to see as number one. A place holder. A bookmark. A limited compromise until someone great comes along. Carlos at least ticks a good few boxes that suggest he’ll be great, and he already is great, being the youngest ever number one in the world.

Remember when we used to discuss why teenagers aren’t succeeding at the highest level anymore? Carlos is a sound rebuttal to any argument that says they can’t…

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
further to my previous question , american ESPN tv ratings for the mens final were higher this year - Ratings for Alcaraz-Rudd increased 3% over last year’s men’s final, which saw Novak Djokovic go for the calendar Grand Slam (1.12, ~2.1M). Swiatek-Jabeur ratings sank 29% from last year’s matchup of unseeded teenagers Emma Raducanu-Leylah Fernandez (1.4, ~2.4M).

Good article here :