2022 USO Final: Jabeur vs. Swiatek

Who will win their first Open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was my impression too. Managed to watch the match last night on TV as we departed Spain and there was still satellite coverage.

Anyway, thought match was good in the 2nd set, but Ons woke up way too late. Iga had 2 BPs for a double break and 6:2 4:0 lead. It was actually the serve that saved Ons in that 3:0 game and if she served more of that when it mattered could have gone to 3rd set. I also think that Ons fell under pressure in this final given the expectations. We could see also on her body language and frustration at times. TB was very close, could have gone either side.

Ons was unable to expose Iga's weaker backhand side and her few dropshot attempts were terrible. This is the first time I watched Ons. I like her, she just needs to play better next time she reaches the final. Crowd seemed heavily on her side, but I guess they wanted to see a tight battle too.
She really is fun to watch, at her best. But she does get tight in the big moments. And yes, she does feel a big weight of history on her shoulders, I think. She really wants to be a role model for, most particularly, Arab girls. And I don't think you're wrong that the crowd was partisan towards her. It was that way from the beginning, not just rooting for a good match.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That was my impression too. Managed to watch the match last night on TV as we departed Spain and there was still satellite coverage.

Anyway, thought match was good in the 2nd set, but Ons woke up way too late. Iga had 2 BPs for a double break and 6:2 4:0 lead. It was actually the serve that saved Ons in that 3:0 game and if she served more of that when it mattered could have gone to 3rd set. I also think that Ons fell under pressure in this final given the expectations. We could see also on her body language and frustration at times. TB was very close, could have gone either side.

Ons was unable to expose Iga's weaker backhand side and her few dropshot attempts were terrible. This is the first time I watched Ons. I like her, she just needs to play better next time she reaches the final. Crowd seemed heavily on her side, but I guess they wanted to see a tight battle too.
This was second time she has played a GS final, she played one at Wimbledon this year,I really feel Ons game is suited to grass, though again she did not bring her A game with her and was defeated in straight sets by Rybakina. Agree her serve let her down big time in her match against Iga., she rushed her shots which ending in UFE. Lets see how she fares in 2023 at GS level, hopefully she can learn from her mistakes.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The American doubles team of Caty McNally / Taylor Townsend won the 1st set 63...well done
Krejcikova/Siniakova are competing for their Career Slam in doubles, the USO is the only GS in doubles they have not won

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am happy for Taylor and Katy,they too deserve a place in the sun... hopefully they keep the lead .

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Katy messed up that second set..she got broken twice.Last year in the final she was making the same mistakes.This match was in their pockets..aagh

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congrats to the Czech team of Krejickova/Siniakova who have now completed their Career Doubles winning the USO 36 75 61

Well done to the American unseeded team of Caty McNally and Taylor Towsend being runner's up at the USO.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Katy messed up that second set..she got broken twice.Last year in the final she was making the same mistakes.This match was in their pockets..aagh
Is Coco officially with Jesse for doubles partner ?