2022 USO Final: Jabeur vs. Swiatek

Who will win their first Open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OK, so after 2 unseeded teen queens took NY by storm last year, order is restored with the #1 seed winning the title.
Fair enough. I wouldn't have minded teenage Coco doing it, but there is time. Surely Swiatek has sealed the year end #1.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Fair enough. I wouldn't have minded teenage Coco doing it, but there is time. Surely Swiatek has sealed the year end #1.
No doubt. No one can catch her. the gap was pretty big coming into this tournament and last year she reached the R16

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Gosh this year has gone fast last GS of the year and I will try now to get some normal sleep and cannot wait for The Happy Slam on my own timeline
BIG TIME! I'm very glad it's over for that reason. I was still awake at 4:40am in the end yesterday. Probably no bets on the men's final tbh. Holding off for smaller 250/500 tournaments now for the end of the month and October so I'm done with this tournament. I'll tune in and watch a bit of the men's final but that's it. Important to start going to bed earlier even though I feel fine. Of the 2, I prefer Alcaraz hands down to be world number 1.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BIG TIME! I'm very glad it's over for that reason. I was still awake at 4:40am in the end yesterday. Probably no bets on the men's final tbh. Holding off for smaller 250/500 tournaments now for the end of the month and October so I'm done with this tournament. I'll tune in and watch a bit of the men's final but that's it. Important to start going to bed earlier even though I feel fine. Of the 2, I prefer Alcaraz hands down to be world number 1.
I hear you Fronty I was getting up at 1am my time...agree Alcaraz will win his first GS title and be the new no 1

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It feels puny to complain, since this Major is played in my own backyard, but I have been staying up quite late just to see these matches done. Even I'M sleep-deprived! Hey, Majors are marathons for the players, but I say spare a moment for us fans. It takes dedication to keep up with all of these matches. :)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Iga Swiatek and her first U S Open championship. What a year she's had!

It wasn't pretty but thanks goodness Ons Jabeur was able to settle to fight back from a second set 2-4 deficit, with some momentum, and make it more competitive final.

In that context and patterns, had this been best of 5 , who wouldn't want to see another competitive set?

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Has there every been a time where the finalists , as what we saw last year with Emma Raducanu (winner) and Leylah Fernandez (Runner-up) have bowed out in the first and second rounds the following year ?

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In my opinion, it's time for women to play Majors at best of 5 the whole way. Thanks for bringing it up. It would give the epic matches. Look at what happened this week in the men's game.
Oh no MOX. Please, only make the final as a 5 setter , unless women's tennis evolves and develops more attacking players and dare i say, serve-volleying come back then we can implement your suggestion.

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If the men can play best of 5 with no attacking play or serve-and-volley, so can the women.
Thank you MOXIE. I think i answered this on another thread, was it yesterday?, about changing the men's matches to best-of-three up to the SF round. Another reason for that, i don't know of any other athletic endeavor where competitors could be out there beyond midnight.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ons serve really let her down today, lets see how she goes in slams in 2023
That was my impression too. Managed to watch the match last night on TV as we departed Spain and there was still satellite coverage.

Anyway, thought match was good in the 2nd set, but Ons woke up way too late. Iga had 2 BPs for a double break and 6:2 4:0 lead. It was actually the serve that saved Ons in that 3:0 game and if she served more of that when it mattered could have gone to 3rd set. I also think that Ons fell under pressure in this final given the expectations. We could see also on her body language and frustration at times. TB was very close, could have gone either side.

Ons was unable to expose Iga's weaker backhand side and her few dropshot attempts were terrible. This is the first time I watched Ons. I like her, she just needs to play better next time she reaches the final. Crowd seemed heavily on her side, but I guess they wanted to see a tight battle too.

Reactions: AnonymousFan