2022 Australian Open Men’s Final: Rafael Nadal vs. Daniil Medvedev

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
If you can't appreciate that Rafa was down for the count, and came all the way back up to his full height and told Daniil who was boss, then you're not really giving Nadal his due. It's not a question of fans keeping faith, or P-Mac telling people it was all but over. There was one man, gutting it out, point by point, game by game, 3rd set after 4th set after 5th set to turn that match around. It was Rafa who made that great comeback for the amazing win. The rest of us were just left to watch, and then pick our jaws up off the floor. No discredit to a commentator for stating the nearly obvious. No credit or discredit to fans for faith or loss of. Rafa did it all by himself.
Woman Please.. NoOne appreciates Rafa's comes from the dead victory more than myself. There's not a person on this board who even picked Nadal to win the tournament in January prior to week one of the forth night but myself. However, your beloved commentator's views was too much. Johnny McEnroe wasn't getting ready to euglogize Nadal because he was in the same position that Medvedev was in at the RG 84 fisl when he was two sets to love and a break vs Lendl before he lost his focus arguing over silly issues. That's the one victory that have haunted him for almost the past 40 years. I have NEVER been a Pat McEnroe fan and he has tugged on big brother's superman cape for too long. Listen to his comments, he NEVER gives brilliant tactical advice or the little he does is at the level of a local tennis club teaching pro.

Last edited:

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think when all is said and done Federer will be remembered for 40-15, Djokovic will be remembered for the deportation and Nadal will be remembered as the GOAT. :good:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie, I think all things considered, it was the greatest comeback EVER. Just think about the drop shot. Danii’s gangly arms probably gives him a wingspan of an NBA 7 footer. It took the balls of a mental giant to try and execute that shot at that point in the match. I would like to see what Rafa’s thoughts are. Rafa, “Is this your greatest come from behind victory

Matt jumps on and off the Nadal bandwagon more than anyone. I think this victory will finally even convince Uncle Cliffy whom I grew up listening too as a young child that he needs to remember how great Nadal is and he for lack of a better word “bested“ his beloved da Raaoog (Federer) in his prime and for the third time fi

Matt jumps on and off the Nadal bandwagon more than anyone. I think this victory will finally even convince Uncle Cliffy whom I grew up listening too as a young child that he needs to remember how great Nadal is and he for lack of a better word “bested“ his beloved da Raaoog (Federer) in his prime and for the third time figured out the Djorker dilemmas during his 15 years of encounters.
In regards to Cliffy....his days are numbered to me as a 'tennis commentator' he suffers from huge bouts of 'amnesia' ....time for him to go into the 'retirement home for commentator's'!

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
In regards to Cliffy....his days are numbered to me as a 'tennis commentator' he suffers from huge bouts of 'amnesia' ....time for him to go into the 'retirement home for commentator's'!
1645900439331.png

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A friend texted this to me so I thought I would put it on the current GS of 2022,
Winning GS titles without dropping a set,

Nadal 4
Connors 3
Borg 3
Federer 2
Natase 1

Thanks to Fiero425....my friend forgot to include Borg who won 3 GS without dropping a set.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
A friend texted this to me so I thought I would put it on the current GS of 2022,

Nadal 4
Connors 3
Federer 2
Natase 1
Funny how El Dude NEVER produced these types of stats..30 tournaments without dropping a set may be the hardest record of any sport to break. Think about it.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny how El Dude NEVER produced these types of stats..30 tournaments without dropping a set may be the hardest record of any sport to break. Think about it.
Indeed....I cannot see it happening with the current younger, up and coming players in tennis breaking that record,maybe not in my life time anyway lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Nadal 4
Connors 3
Federer 2
Natase 1

I must be missing something because I know for a fact Borg won at least 3 majors without losing a set including his Wimbledon title in '76! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I must be missing something because I know for a fact Borg won at least 3 majors without losing a set including his Wimbledon title in '76! :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Okay I will re-check as I posted this from a friend who has watched tennis over 30 years plus...thanks
Just checked and Borg did win 3 GS titles without dropping a set...1976 Wimbledon,1978 French,1980 French.
I just sent my friend a text saying what about Borg?....thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Okay I will re-check as I posted this from a friend who has watched tennis over 30 years plus...thanks
Just checked and Borg did win 3 GS titles without dropping a set...1976 Wimbledon,1978 French,1980 French.
I just sent my friend a text saying what about Borg?....thanks again.

When will you ever learn I'm the only tennis historian you can ever really trust? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::lol6::clap::yes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
When will you ever learn I'm the only tennis historian you can ever really trust? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::lol6::clap::yes:
You do know your history. If only you were as conversant with your present. For example, you still seem to think that Rafa is a defensive tennis player. Medvedev, too. Do you really think that gets anyone to #1? Your Novak plays a lot of defense, and, then, like the other 2, turns it to offense. I guess this conclusion comes from your not watching sports anymore. :lulz1:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
You do know your history. If only you were as conversant with your present. For example, you still seem to think that Rafa is a defensive tennis player. Medvedev, too. Do you really think that gets anyone to #1? Your Novak plays a lot of defense, and, then, like the other 2, turns it to offense. I guess this conclusion comes from your not watching sports anymore. :lulz1:

:facepalm: (From on High) I well know the hypocrisy of my statements at times! I make no bones about Nadal's no fave of mines, and he'll get the back of my hand no matter what happens! Djokovic is about as popular to me as the one player to take down a peg or 2 The MYTH of Fedal which got gutted! Tennis Intelligentsia got a big smack across the face several years ago when Novak changed the course of tennis history by his late surge! Lendl did the same way back when boors like McEnroe and Connors ruled the tour! I have no real fave! Watching tennis doesn't do what it once did! I can still deal with Nadovic, but how long will that last? Either Nadal will break all the way down or Djokovic can be legislated right out of the game! That'll be one way to keep Nadal ahead for good in the GOAT race! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :clap: :yawningface::rolleyes:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
:facepalm: (From on High)
Well, that goes without saying.

I well know the hypocrisy of my statements at times!
There's a first, and thank you!
I make no bones about Nadal's no fave of mines, and he'll get the back of my hand no matter what happens! Djokovic is about as popular to me as the one player to take down a peg or 2 The MYTH of Fedal which got gutted!
It's clear that you don't like Nadal, though you did once champion Federer, and, I have to say, it's not clear what your gripe is, here. They've played some amazing tennis, and racked up some incredible stats. Why so committed to taking them down?
Tennis Intelligentsia got a big smack across the face several years ago when Novak changed the course of tennis history by his late surge! Lendl did the same way back when boors like McEnroe and Connors ruled the tour! I have no real fave! Watching tennis doesn't do what it once did! I can still deal with Nadovic, but how long will that last?
Novak changed the course of history all by himself, I guess you're saying, by adding himself into the Fedal mix. Well, he did. What is it you have against Fedal? What do you dislike about that? What tennis intelligentsia are you railing against, and why? And in this golden age of men's tennis, why can't you enjoy it?
Either Nadal will break all the way down or Djokovic can be legislated right out of the game! That'll be one way to keep Nadal ahead for good in the GOAT race! ?
I don't think these are the only options. Nadal seems to be healthy, for now. And no one is trying to "legislate" Novak out of the game. It is clear to him what he can do, or not, to play, and he is committed to not getting vaccinated. No one created those border rules to keep Novak from being the GOAT in tennis, if you believe in one. They are created for reasons that are way larger than tennis. But it's surely not the tennis powers that are keeping him from playing tennis. Some may say that he is within his rights to choose what he puts into his own body. I don't actually agree with that, as a person who, professionally, needs to cross international borders all the time. However, if he really won't vaccinate, then, yes, his ability to play in big tournaments will be curtailed. That's not a conspiracy against him...that is his choice.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It's clear that you don't like Nadal, though you did once champion Federer, and, I have to say, it's not clear what your gripe is, here. They've played some amazing tennis, and racked up some incredible stats. Why so committed to taking them down?

Novak changed the course of history all by himself, I guess you're saying, by adding himself into the Fedal mix. Well, he did. What is it you have against Fedal? What do you dislike about that? What tennis intelligentsia are you railing against, and why? And in this golden age of men's tennis, why can't you enjoy it?

Being consistent, Roger failed me! He wasn't able to tame Nadal; even with smoke and mirrors making them out to be rivals! It wasn't a real rivalry; more like Fed and A-Rod! Roger was Rafa's pigeon, esp. on clay for years early on! I loved how Djokovic snuck up on both of them! The tennis community at large still haven't completely accepted that Roger will end up being a 3rd wheel after all's said and done! Roger has a beautiful game, but he's only king of the "Also-Rans!" :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::clap::lol6:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Being consistent, Roger failed me! He wasn't able to tame Nadal; even with smoke and mirrors making them out to be rivals! It wasn't a real rivalry; more like Fed and A-Rod! Roger was Rafa's pigeon, esp. on clay for years early on! I loved how Djokovic snuck up on both of them! The tennis community at large still haven't completely accepted that Roger will end up being a 3rd wheel after all's said and done! Roger has a beautiful game, but he's only king of the "Also-Rans!" :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::clap::lol6:
Given how much you hate Nadal, I suppose it is "consistent" if you felt betrayed by Roger and switched loyalties. But as a close student of the game, it still amazes me that you can have no appreciation for Nadal. Your prejudice blinds you, IMO.

Anyway, Djokovic didn't sneak up on them. They knew what he was like. He came up on the heels of them, and capitalized somewhat on late entry. But here's the deal...Nadal came up on Roger's coattails, too. Even if I have the right to claim some momentary GOATness for Nadal, I won't, because I've always said there is no one GOAT, and I don't believe there will be one of this era. I don't think you'll ever be able to split Roger, Rafa and Novak apart, if you want to describe this era. I am no apologist or champion for Federer, but to call him an "also-ran" is risible. He set the bar for Rafa and Novak. And it was high. Whatever they manage is still "standing on the shoulders of." As an historian of the game, you should appreciate that.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Given how much you hate Nadal, I suppose it is "consistent" if you felt betrayed by Roger and switched loyalties. But as a close student of the game, it still amazes me that you can have no appreciation for Nadal. Your prejudice blinds you, IMO.

Anyway, Djokovic didn't sneak up on them. They knew what he was like. He came up on the heels of them, and capitalized somewhat on late entry. But here's the deal...Nadal came up on Roger's coattails, too. Even if I have the right to claim some momentary GOATness for Nadal, I won't, because I've always said there is no one GOAT, and I don't believe there will be one of this era. I don't think you'll ever be able to split Roger, Rafa and Novak apart, if you want to describe this era. I am no apologist or champion for Federer, but to call him an "also-ran" is risible. He set the bar for Rafa and Novak. And it was high. Whatever they manage is still "standing on the shoulders of." As an historian of the game, you should appreciate that.

Over the years there are players I just never cared for from the beginning! Sometimes it had to do with their ego/arrogance, a bad attitude/sportsmanship, or more fame than actually warranted! It was hard to like/love players like Connors, McEnroe, Agassi (image is everything), Becker (hard to believe since I have this thing for redheads), Nadal, & now Medvedev (ugly game)! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy::clap::fearful-face::yawningface: