2021 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Technically did Sinner do enough to get top 16 ranking? Pretty sure he will pass Raonic.
Also if Casper Ruud wins his tourney is it enough to leap frog him to top 16 for Roland Garos, I would think others wouldn't' love to face him early..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Technically did Sinner do enough to get top 16 ranking? Pretty sure he will pass Raonic.
Also if Casper Ruud wins his tourney is it enough to leap frog him to top 16 for Roland Garos, I would think others wouldn't' love to face him early..
Live rankings shows Sinner at 19 and Ruud at 16, based on Sinner losing today. I don't think anyone wants Sinner early, either. Seems like Roland Garros has a whole new crop of potential potholes for the earlier rounds.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Would not be surprised if the tennis gods in their infinite humor have the FO draw so that Nadal and Novak are on the same side, and Theim and Medvedev as seeds 2 and 4 are slated to meet on the lower half. :rolleyes:
Last year #3Thiem was scheduled to meet Rafa #2..at RG

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Regarding about the BNP Paribas Open returning in October, I am actually curious on how will the Asian swing will be affected by the announcement. Three of the European tournaments slated at the end of the October were officially moved into November 7th week (Stockholm, Antwerp, and Kremlin Open).

In the first half of October, there are three tournaments: Japan Open, Beijing Open and Shanghai Rolex Masters 1000.

My gut is telling me that the BNP Paribas Open will be put in the late October slot, but the main draw will probably be reduced from 96 players to 64 players (basically it’s the same as other Masters 1000 except Miami).

I know for sure Nadal will definitely want to play at Indian Wells because of the playing conditions but also it will be easier from him to travel from California back to Europe.

Federer might not play at Indian Wells because his hometown tournament (Basel) is schedule towards the end of October, so he will definitely prefers the indoor conditions plus he gets to stay home.

Djokovic is 50/50 at this point. He loves playing Beijing/Shanghai combo at the same time he probably would not want the strict COVID protocols that China is implementing at the moment.

By the way, California is probably one the best US states in terms of handling COVID and vaccination protocols. Ever since March, the cases have been slowing down significantly and people are not getting critically ill as it used to compared to the holiday surge. I can confirm this because I work at hospital in Southern California.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafanoy,
Regarding about the BNP Paribas Open returning in October, I am actually curious on how will the Asian swing will be affected by the announcement. Three of the European tournaments slated at the end of the October were officially moved into November 7th week (Stockholm, Antwerp, and Kremlin Open).

In the first half of October, there are three tournaments: Japan Open, Beijing Open and Shanghai Rolex Masters 1000.

My gut is telling me that the BNP Paribas Open will be put in the late October slot, but the main draw will probably be reduced from 96 players to 64 players (basically it’s the same as other Masters 1000 except Miami).

I know for sure Nadal will definitely want to play at Indian Wells because of the playing conditions but also it will be easier from him to travel from California back to Europe.

Federer might not play at Indian Wells because his hometown tournament (Basel) is schedule towards the end of October, so he will definitely prefers the indoor conditions plus he gets to stay home.

Djokovic is 50/50 at this point. He loves playing Beijing/Shanghai combo at the same time he probably would not want the strict COVID protocols that China is implementing at the moment.

By the way, California is probably one the best US states in terms of handling COVID and vaccination protocols. Ever since March, the cases have been slowing down significantly and people are not getting critically ill as it used to compared to the holiday surge. I can confirm this because I work at hospital in Southern California.
Plus you have the WTA having to be accommodated as well, since IW is one of the handful of non Major tournaments which has both tours converging.

Rafanoy, I'm more North Cali and my county is teetering towards yellow tier, but of course by June 15 hopefully it should be a moot point as all the state is slated for full opening. I'm just pumped up because workwise, IW in March never worked for me so this Oct scheduling will hopefully let me finally get to IW.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Last year #3Thiem was scheduled to meet Rafa #2..at RG

Jelenafan said:
Would not be surprised if the tennis gods in their infinite humor have the FO draw so that Nadal and Novak are on the same side, and Theim and Medvedev as seeds 2 and 4 are slated to meet on the lower half. :D
-------------------

W/O looking & since I don't watch their FO matches, I think the SF contests have been more competitive w/ Nole within a pt. or 2 of winning! :good:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Jelenafan said:
Would not be surprised if the tennis gods in their infinite humor have the FO draw so that Nadal and Novak are on the same side, and Theim and Medvedev as seeds 2 and 4 are slated to meet on the lower half. :D
-------------------

W/O looking & since I don't watch their FO matches, I think the SF contests have been more competitive w/ Nole within a pt. or 2 of winning! :good:
There was only the one, and Novak was far from a "point or two" of winning. You either need to work on your memory, or your google skills.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Rafa is very good friends with Larry Ellison, the owner of IW, and his team usually stays with Larry at his home in IW.I am certain he will try to play seeing that the tournament had to be cancelled last year.
Novak is not happy with the 'bubble type arrangements' for Roland Garos,agree he probably would not like the strict COVID protocols that China has implemented at present.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa is very good friends with Larry Ellison, the owner of IW, and his team usually stays with Larry at his home in IW.I am certain he will try to play seeing that the tournament had to be cancelled last year.
Novak is not happy with the 'bubble type arrangements' for Roland Garos,agree he probably would not like the strict COVID protocols that China has implemented at present.

Nadal also loves to play Golf when he attends Indian Wells tournament. In a way, while it is not an indoor tournament, playing Indian Wells might help Nadal's confidence post-USO going into Bercy/ATP Tour Finals. Also, the schedule is perfect for him because after the US Open he can go back to Mallorca, then he can fly to Indian Wells easily during mid-October.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Makes me wonder if he’ll go to Tokyo for the Olympics (assuming they aren’t cancelled, of course).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal also loves to play Golf when he attends Indian Wells tournament. In a way, while it is not an indoor tournament, playing Indian Wells might help Nadal's confidence post-USO going into Bercy/ATP Tour Finals. Also, the schedule is perfect for him because after the US Open he can go back to Mallorca, then he can fly to Indian Wells easily during mid-October.
So are you thinking that Rafa would just skip the Asian swing after USO? I'd be down with that. Come in fresh for the end of the year. And I agree that IW could be a perfect place to kick off the last leg for Rafa. He does love IW.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I thought tented's response was about Novak and his aversion to the "bubbles". Rafa has already said that he may not go to Tokyo, but that's about COVID, which he actually believes in.

Yes, my post was about Novak and his bubbles aversion & anti-vaccination stance.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Lyon Tournament will be the battle of the a one-handed bhands on Saturday.The Young Greek and my Italian youngster Musetti will meet in a s/final.I do expect The Young Greek to win.

Norrie v Rinderknech match suspended due to rain...1 set all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lyon Tournament will be the battle of the a one-handed bhands on Saturday.The Young Greek and my Italian youngster Musetti will meet in a s/final.I do expect The Young Greek to win.

Norrie v Rinderknech match suspended due to rain...1 set all.
A lot of one-handers seemed to feature this week. In Geneva, obviously the most famous one-hander went out early, but yesterday Cuevas took out Dimitrov, and today Shapo beat Cuevas, all one-handers. Too bad some of our favorite posters and members of the one-hand backhand cult are not around much lately, such as @britbox, though there was a recent @mrzz sighting. :)

Reactions: britbox

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A lot of one-handers seemed to feature this week. In Geneva, obviously the most famous one-hander went out early, but yesterday Cuevas took out Dimitrov, and today Shapo beat Cuevas, all one-handers. Too bad some of our favorite posters and members of the one-hand backhand cult are not around much lately, such as @britbox, though there was a recent @mrzz sighting. :)
Yes I saw Mrzz sighting yesterday and I hope Baron...Britbox makes an appearance,seeing Federer has come back to play.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes I saw Mrzz sighting yesterday and I hope Baron...Britbox makes an appearance,seeing Federer has come back to play.
Those crazy bastards who drink blood out of monkey skulls over the one-hander. Yes, I'm hoping that Roger being back will smoke them out. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Makes me wonder if he’ll go to Tokyo for the Olympics (assuming they aren’t cancelled, of course).
Latest I read is that athletes will NOT be required to vaccinate for the Games, though strongly encouraged. It still doesn't seem clear what the protocols will be, though restrictions are in place, and no international spectators. Some 75% of the Japanese population is for postponing or cancelling. It looks like it's going to happen, though.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Latest I read is that athletes will NOT be required to vaccinate for the Games, though strongly encouraged. It still doesn't seem clear what the protocols will be, though restrictions are in place, and no international spectators. Some 75% of the Japanese population is for postponing or cancelling. It looks like it's going to happen, though.
Heard today the Japan Olympics is going ahead even if there is another state of emergency in Japan,that has been on our news today.I hope Rafa does not go,I know he loves representing Spain,he has nothing more to prove at the Olympics.Personally if I was an athlete I would be vaccinated before I went.Australia is now fast tracking our athletes with COVID vaccines before they depart for Japan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.