2019 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Felt bad for Berrettini. Playing Roger here is a totally different thing than what he is used to. Roger rushes you like a Mexican whore on a tight schedule. Good lesson for the kid though.
And Milos should have closed this out serving for the 4th set. I have a feeling he will lose now.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
can't believe servebot couldn't put either of those volleys away. He looked like Roddick at the net

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well color me mildly shocked. Pella of course has a great serve and has been truly great this year. But even after winning the third set I really thought Raonic was gonna win this one in 4. Good on Pella. Keeps up his banner year. This will be by far his most successful campaign/season. Makes his first slam 4th round and quarter at the same slam at 29. At Wimbledon of all places. Naturally I would have thought it would have been on the clay. But here he is. No longer has a losing record at Wimbledon.

Ya gotta feel like it makes it all that more likely that RBA will be making his first grand slam semifinal. Though Pella will certainly feel that it's a very winnable match as well. And while I'm a big Goffin fan. I do find it hard to believe he'll pull off the Djokovic upset which means Djokovic is basically a lock for the final, if he wasn't already a couple rounds ago. I think I was counting on Raonic to make the semis and give Djokovic a serving clinic and a challenge. Goffin actually has been playing great and hopefully will be able to get a set from Djokovic. But you gotta feel that his serve is going to be way to easy for Djokovic to attack. And in the long run, Djokovic will break more than Goffin will.

Here's to Querrey taking out Nadal and Fed beating Nishikori! Even though, I hate to see Nishikori lose. I'm sure we'll have a Fedal semifinal though. Second straight slam. Hopefully a different result.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bookies are loving this year Wimbledon, so many upsets. I am leaning towards Agut too, he should be ready to reach SF.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol, about as awesome as Chinese water torture.
You seem to have mistaken RBA for a clay player, and I doubt you've been watching Pella if you think he's not playing some grass tennis here. Your whining about some of these players seems to be more based on how you think they play than how they've actually been playing.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
You seem to have mistaken RBA for a clay player, and I doubt you've been watching Pella if you think he's not playing some grass tennis here. Your whining about some of these players seems to be more based on how you think they play than how they've actually been playing.

Oh whateva, defend your boys as hard as you like.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Although I did not see his match today, I am glad Pella won (at least partly because his victim is MIlos). But, I did see his previous match. He was playing fantastic grass court tennis. I would agree with Moxie on this. Even though Pella is traditionally known as clay courter, he is winning here by playing grass court tennis and not by grinding it out.

Reactions: mrzz and Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Factoid: Uncle Sam has not lost to Uncle Toni's nephew for the last three years.

Just saying.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm starting to think that Roger isn't going to end up with the Slam record.

Slams: Roger 20, Rafa 18, Novak 15

Let's say Roger wins one more and finishes with 21. Do we really think that Rafa won't do what it takes to stick around and makes sure he gets those 4 more? And don't you think Novak will be motivated to stay around long enough to surpass Rafa?

My prediction is that Roger finishes with 20-21, Rafa with +1 (21-22), and Novak +2 (22-23). Its just the way of things.

Now if the situation was reversed and Roger was 5-6 years younger, I would predict him to finish with the highest Slam count. That's the benefit of coming after - you get to break older players' records.

The only way that doesn't happen is if either Rafa and/or Novak experience catastrophic injury, and/or one or two of the Next Genners rise to a level of greatness.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm starting to think that Roger isn't going to end up with the Slam record.

Slams: Roger 20, Rafa 18, Novak 15

Let's say Roger wins one more and finishes with 21. Do we really think that Rafa won't do what it takes to stick around and makes sure he gets those 4 more? And don't you think Novak will be motivated to stay around long enough to surpass Rafa?

My prediction is that Roger finishes with 20-21, Rafa with +1 (21-22), and Novak +2 (22-23). Its just the way of things.

Now if the situation was reversed and Roger was 5-6 years younger, I would predict him to finish with the highest Slam count. That's the benefit of coming after - you get to break older players' records.

The only way that doesn't happen is if either Rafa and/or Novak experience catastrophic injury, and/or one or two of the Next Genners rise to a level of greatness.

………….a sudden realization of their ages and GS totals?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh whateva, defend your boys as hard as you like.
Neither one is "my boy." I have no particular affection for RBA, and I've only started taking a shine to Pella this year. (Tbh, until this season, I thought he and Pablo Cuevas were the same person. :lol6:) You're so busy setting up your case against the state of these courts, you're not really paying attention. I saw you and GSM all "disgusted" that RBA beat Paire today, though you both fail to notice that he's the better grass player, by record. (I didn't see the match...my TV didn't show it.) I'll give you that Paire is the flashier player with better shots, when he can be arsed, but he's 20-22 on grass (.476) v. 26-12 (.684) for RBA. And while RBA has a higher win pct. on clay than Paire, it's his 3rd best surface, and Paire's best.

While I find it boring that you harp on the grass at Wimbledon starting before Day 1 and every day of the fortnight, and then some, that is your right. But don't be so lazy with your distain. Try using the eye-ball test a bit more, or at least do your homework on players, instead of using them as proof of your theory based on nationality.:lightning:

Reactions: tenisplayrla08
Status
Not open for further replies.