• Poll closed .

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal in 3, Berrettini wins no more than 3 games in any set

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even though Rafa wasn't completely convincing tonight, I think Berrettini will face what Medvedev did in the Rogers Cup final in August: to meet Rafa for the first time in the biggest match of your career is not a great combination. I expect Berrettini to be more sanguine than he was at Wimbledon meeting Roger, but not a lot more. Rafa in 3. Maybe 2 competitive sets.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Berrettini's quarter final went 5 sets and he choked big time at the end. Can't see him physically or mentally being up to much here but it's great to see both him and Medvedev having such a good year. Berrettini underperformed at Wimbledon after winning Stuttgart and could be a force to be reckoned with by grass court season next year. Grass seems to really suit his game.

Went off a bit on a tangent there but just 'cos I reckon this is hopefully just the beginning for him and next year will be even better but I think he's a bit spent for this match.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like Berrettini and neutrals should be happy he won because Monfils would have brought nothing and gotten slaughtered. I'm not sure how much energy Berrettini has got left, but his game is far more interesting.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
I like Berrettini and neutrals should be happy he won because Monfils would have brought nothing and gotten slaughtered. I'm not sure how much energy Berrettini has got left, but his game is far more interesting.
I like him too.
But no energy will help him.
He will lose in straights, think his game is not suited to Nadals (same for Daniils, Grigors or Gaels).
I woud not be angry if proven wrong :).

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Berrettini has to serve well to have any chances of beating Nadal. If he doesn’t serve well, Nadal will run him ragged. Not sure how many 5 set matches Berrettini has played, but that won’t matter because Nadal is there for the long haul. Should be in straight sets.

Fedal_fan

Reactions
Nadal will win this in 3 sets most probably. However, he needs to up his game against Medvedev

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First of all, I want to congratulate Matteo Berrettini for his 1st career Slam SF and a career high ranking of 13 in the world this upcoming Monday.

1st career meeting between the two male players.

You mean:

1st career meeting between the male player Berrettini and the immortal God Nadal.

:clap:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
king of clay in 4 without playing well

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

As always, I have to give Broken credit for being the least stupid Nadal fan. It was Nadal's mostly moronic fanbase in 2009/2010 that turned me against him.

That said, there is some trouble here for Nadal. The first time I had seen Berretini was against Rublev, and I could not believe that I was seeing a young player who was worth a damn with an all-court game. Berretini can do major damage against Nadal with his forehand and his volleys. Plus he is fearless on big points. The issue with Monfils - aside from tactics - is that he has major psychological baggage to overcome when playing Nadal and none of that is a factor with Berretini.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal in 3, Berrettini wins no more than 3 games in any set

Stupid prediction. Berretini is going to dictate most of the rallies, especially early. Nadal's best bet will be to ride out Berretini's impressive shotmaking, steal a set or two in a tiebreak, and wear him out.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even though Rafa wasn't completely convincing tonight, I think Berrettini will face what Medvedev did in the Rogers Cup final in August: to meet Rafa for the first time in the biggest match of your career is not a great combination. I expect Berrettini to be more sanguine than he was at Wimbledon meeting Roger, but not a lot more. Rafa in 3. Maybe 2 competitive sets.

Lol.....goodness gracious. This is asinine on so many levels. First of all, the Rogers Cup match was played in windy connections that will not be a factor on Friday. Second, Federer at Wimbledon is a different animal than f-ing Nadal at the US Open (LOL). Federer's game matches up immaculately well with grass and he is the best grass court player of all time. The same cannot be said - to state this as politely as possible - with Nadal of all people on hardcourts. If this was Nadal at Roland Garros, your comparison would be apt, but it's not.

Third, the pattern with Nadal on hardcourts against numerous players (such as Blake or Nalbandian or Davydenko) is to get his ass kicked in initial meetings, and then to patch up some vulnerabilities in later matches to eek out tight wins. The fact that Nadal has no familiarity with Berretini aside from maybe practicing with him is a huge advantage to Berretini because if this is just a free-flowing mano a mano slugfest the Italian will at the least get the better of a lot of rallies.

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
king of clay in 4 without playing well

You should know better as a former Nalbandian fan. Can't you recognize a dominant rally player when you see it after all those times watching Nalbandian?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will go with Berretini in 4, though I am leaning 3. Nadal has not played anyone remotely like this the entire tournament except Cilic, who is less athletic and less fit than Berretini and not as mean with the forehand. Cilic plays a few tough rallies and (like Monfils) he is bent over breathing heavy. Berretini does not appear to have that problem.

What is also encouraging about Berretini is how many quality volleys he hit against Rublev and Monfils to finish off points. That is something that can put him over the edge against Nadal. I have no doubt that he will push Nadal back and make him chase in rallies, so it will be crucial that he comes to net effectively. I also love Berretini's fearlessness on big points and the overall swagger he carries himself with - he is not the standard effeminate Euro nerdboy of the young generation today. It will also be of help that his serve has some pop because one of Nadal's weaknesses over the years has been poor reflexes compared to the rest of the Big 4 in returning. Berretini can get some cheap points off him that way.

Vinci questo per l'Italia!

Last edited:

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like him too.
But no energy will help him.
He will lose in straights, think his game is not suited to Nadals (same for Daniils, Grigors or Gaels).
I woud not be angry if proven wrong :).

Why is Berretini's game "not suited" to do well against Nadal?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will go with Berretini in 4, though I am leaning 3. Nadal has not played anyone remotely like this the entire tournament except Cilic, who is less athletic and less fit than Berretini and not as mean with the forehand. Cilic plays a few tough rallies and (like Monfils) he is bent over breathing heavy. Berretini does not appear to have that problem.

What is also encouraging about Berretini is how many quality volleys he hit against Rublev and Monfils to finish off points. That is something that can put him over the edge against Nadal. I have no doubt that he will push Nadal back and make him chase in rallies, so it will be crucial that he comes to net effectively. I also love Berretini's fearlessness on big points and the overall swagger he carries himself with - he is not the standard effeminate Euro nerdboy of the young generation today. It will also be of help that his serve has some pop because one of Nadal's weaknesses over the years has been poor reflexes compared to the rest of the Big 4 in returning. Berretini can get some cheap points off him that way.

Vinci questo per l'Italia!

Yes Berettini barely survived past Monfils but will crush Nadal. Makes sense.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cali comes out all guns blazing. I like the style.

If Berrettini meets your expectations I expect him to win. ... The next 10 majors in a row.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cali really sticking his head out for Berrettini. I have no issues with it. Honestly, I respect it (that's about as cordial as the two of us can get, especially since he called me the least stupid Nadal fan, which brings a tear to my eye). If you turn out to be right, bravo. If not, I'm very much looking forward to your, erm...unique take on the match.