2019 Men's Wimbledon Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
7-8 more for Djokovic, while definitely an optimistic scenario, is not that unrealistic, or have we not learned anything? He's 32, with no history of serious injuries (relatively speaking), no real signs of aging, and the best player in the world. So while I understand it's projecting 7-8 more slams can sound too rich (7-8 slams is like a hall of fame career on its own), I wouldn't rule it out, depending on how the rest of the year unfolds. I mean, he's a favorite to win the major taking place right now. I wouldn't bring up the next gen until I actually see that there is one worthy of being mentioned in this conversation. Only the big 3's age/injuries will stop them for the foreseeable future. Yes, "things can quickly change," except they haven't in 15 years. These 3 aren't any 3. They're literally the best three players in tennis history.

Athletes across every sport are performing at a high level at unprecedented "old" age and that's more or less a fact. So while years ago, predicting 7-8 more slams for a 32 year old would have been ludicrous, it's theoretically less so now. I say theoretically, because I'm not saying it's likely -- that's a LOT of slams -- but that he should be able to play at a high enough level to at least compete for them and be among the very clear favorites.
the ease with which these guys are cutting through slam draws 7 - 8 more seems almost inevitable! My goodness... 'Manic Monday' was depressing for those of us who long for a Boris Becker like phenomenon. I might be a Fedfan, but jeepers it would be something to see some fella come out of nowhere and completely disrespect these all time greats. Sadly Querrey, Goffin and Nishikori aren't it...

Reactions: Hamidreza Roohian

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
this article doesn't make me like the media one bit...always trying to create a controversy. Why should Rafa, or Kyrgios before, be questioned about where their matches are held relative to Barty? Frankly I think Rafa should have asked the idiot who posed the question to him..."do you think I should have been put on Court 2 instead?" Good luck with the logistical chaos from fans leaving Centre Court to run to Court 2!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-7225579/Rafael-Nadal-believes-deserved-Centre-Court-place-womens-world-No-1-Ashleigh-Barty.html

Reactions: Moxie

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
this article doesn't make me like the media one bit...always trying to create a controversy. Why should Rafa, or Kyrgios before, be questioned about where their matches are held relative to Barty? Frankly I think Rafa should have asked the idiot who posed the question to him..."do you think I should have been put on Court 2 instead?" Good luck with the logistical chaos from fans leaving Centre Court to run to Court 2!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-7225579/Rafael-Nadal-believes-deserved-Centre-Court-place-womens-world-No-1-Ashleigh-Barty.html

Yeah the headline is ridiculous. Nadal praised her, if anything. He simply stated that he's won 18 majors and that at this point, he's a bigger name than Barty, which I mean, duh. Hell he even said that either decision would have been good (which I don't think he actually believes, mind you).

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah the headline is ridiculous. Nadal praised her, if anything. He simply stated that he's won 18 majors and that at this point, he's a bigger name than Barty, which I mean, duh. Hell he even said that either decision would have been good (which I don't think he actually believes, mind you).
any decision involving him being moved to a non-show court vs her would have been stupid from a public safety perspective. Forget about optimising revenues. These social justice warriors do my head in sometimes

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
any decision involving him being moved to a non-show court vs her would have been stupid from a public safety perspective. Forget about optimising revenues. These social justice warriors do my head in sometimes

This is a non-issue. Not sure why he felt the need to ask about. They put 2 men’s matches on CC for manic Mon. Konta is British and was awarded the one women’s spot they schedule (that’s expected). Ash got a chance to play on CC when she played Dart, end of story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

You are spot on. I saw Ricardo's post on the other page (I had seen the video of Rafa's presser yesterday, including that question,) but I thought, "why did they even ask that question?" They really have run out of things to ask. But you're right, just trying to stir something up...and so you get that headline. The Daily Mail is rubbish.

Reactions: Federberg

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I'm always glad when you say you think Roger is done and is a total washed up scrub. He isn't playing as pathetic as last year so the Anderson match isn't exactly a great comparison. It has often come back to bite you before and here's to hoping it does again.

I'm the opposite. If Roger brings enough determination (life and death match) and no mental baggage he can beat Nadal off that awful dirt. Of course this trash court gives Nadal a serious chance but Fed should still beat him. But I don't see Roger beating Novak on this "grass". Conditions are only worse for him compared to the finals he lost to Novak 4 and 5 years ago.
For those who think Fed cannot beat Nadal here well see. Fed looked sharp ruthless and beat a guy who was 2nd best on grass this season like it was a practice session. The next round may not be as easy as most see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.