Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I take it you're talking about "the decline" of Sampras in this instance! Roger's nowhere near that level yet; still challenging at Masters and majors! Poor Pete went over 2 years without a title of any sort from his 2000 Wimbledon victory until his miraculous run at the 2002 USO taking out his pigeon in the final, Andre Agassi! The grind of holding the YE #1 for 6 years had aged Sampras before his time; the constant stress taking out his hair before turning 30! On another site someone told me without the hair dyes and facial cover-ups, the rigors of the tour would show up more on Federer! Heaven knows Rafa's aged before his time even though he still takes some of the best pictures in advertising! Roger's going to hold it together thru the Olympics at least and have no doubt he'll manage it well while the NG'rs have to continue "waiting their turn!" :whistle: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:
True, Roger levels is nowhere near Pete’s level..Pete couldn’t win anything for almost two years and was a non factor at AO and RG acourse..Pete had a perfect storm when he won the final USO.. Pete played night matches , defeated I think Haas ,Roddick, Greg Lud and his pigeon Andre..

Roger on the other hand is still a threat although Father Time is beginning to catch up with his body..Roger has dodge Father Time remarkably and if the other members of the big 3 are not across the net..he can capture another slam.(hope the hell he doesn’t)

Reactions: Andy22 and Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I take it you're talking about "the decline" of Sampras in this instance! Roger's nowhere near that level yet; still challenging at Masters and majors! Poor Pete went over 2 years without a title of any sort from his 2000 Wimbledon victory until his miraculous run at the 2002 USO taking out his pigeon in the final, Andre Agassi! The grind of holding the YE #1 for 6 years had aged Sampras before his time; the constant stress taking out his hair before turning 30! On another site someone told me without the hair dyes and facial cover-ups, the rigors of the tour would show up more on Federer! Heaven knows Rafa's aged before his time even though he still takes some of the best pictures in advertising! Roger's going to hold it together thru the Olympics at least and have no doubt he'll manage it well while the NG'rs have to continue "waiting their turn!" :whistle: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

No I’m talking about how Sampras thought he was the GOAT and was surpassed so soon after he retired... Federer might get surpassed while he’s still playing... so it’s the Sampras scenario all over again... :eek:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
if the other members of the big 3 are not across the net..he can capture another slam

He is 6x1 against one of them and had match points against the other last time they played, but still was knocked down by Dimitrov in the USO, so, no, the big three is far from his bigger problem right now. His problem is keeping a consistent good level and he knows that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
He is 6x1 against one of them and had match points against the other last time they played, but still was knocked down by Dimitrov in the USO, so, no, the big three is far from his bigger problem right now. His problem is keeping a consistent good level and he knows that.
He said he had a bad upper back injury vs Grigor

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

In the last 2 years he’s lost to Kevin Anderson, Millman, Tsitsipas, and Dimitrov in Majors. While I think it’s reasonable that he can keep up with Novak and Rafa on a given match , he’s going to have to beat them back to back. W was sooo close but as they say regarding everything but horseshoes...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I much preferred the 2013 one.
True ..the rallies were insane but it was never in doubt who was gonna win that match in 2013. Sunday match was full of drama..reference the 5 set 2-2 40-love Medvedev serving when Rafa just blocked the return into play when he was really trying to conserve energy by conceding the point.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
True ..the rallies were insane but it was never in doubt who was gonna win that match in 2013. Sunday match was full of drama..reference the 5 set 2-2 40-love Medvedev serving when Rafa just blocked the return into play when he was really trying to conserve energy by conceding the point.
Oh, you're being a "recent-ist." Sure, the 2013 match was in doubt in the 3rd set, which was full of Drama. But yes, calmed down by the 4th. I liked it better because it was over Djokovic, too, his big rival that year, particularly. I get that the one on Sunday was a huge nail-biter, but that why I kind of hated it. :lol6: It took me a couple of days even to re-watch the highlights, and that when I knew how it would come out! I love that Rafa pulled himself up to his great height to win that match, even though the nerves were getting to him. Still, I think 2013 was two greats playing top drawer, and therefore, rather better. No knock on Medvedev, but without the nerves, Rafa would have closed him out in 3 or 4, max. There was a lot of slop in there.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh, you're being a "recent-ist." Sure, the 2013 match was in doubt in the 3rd set, which was full of Drama. But yes, calmed down by the 4th. I liked it better because it was over Djokovic, too, his big rival that year, particularly. I get that the one on Sunday was a huge nail-biter, but that why I kind of hated it. :lol6: It took me a couple of days even to re-watch the highlights, and that when I knew how it would come out! I love that Rafa pulled himself up to his great height to win that match, even though the nerves were getting to him. Still, I think 2013 was two greats playing top drawer, and therefore, rather better. No knock on Medvedev, but without the nerves, Rafa would have closed him out in 3 or 4, max. There was a lot of slop in there.

I think this was the far greater match. I don't think the 2013 final was particularly great. Nadal played well, on the whole, and had one service hold for the ages (perhaps the most important of his career) but Djokovic's performance left a lot to be desired and he's too great of a player for that to be unnoticed.

Obviously Rafa didn't play great on Sunday per se...but Medvedev did for 3 sets. And the storyline of the young up and comer showing up and almost turning the match around, only for the legend to pull it off makes it just a far more compelling one.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
This not really matter much but just learned that Nadal has the highest win percentage against top 10 players, in grand slams, at 71%.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think this was the far greater match. I don't think the 2013 final was particularly great. Nadal played well, on the whole, and had one service hold for the ages (perhaps the most important of his career) but Djokovic's performance left a lot to be desired and he's too great of a player for that to be unnoticed.

Obviously Rafa didn't play great on Sunday per se...but Medvedev did for 3 sets. And the storyline of the young up and comer showing up and almost turning the match around, only for the legend to pull it off makes it just a far more compelling one.
I'm basically fine with your assessment, and I think I did say that mine was fannish. In 2013, the 3rd set turnaround from Rafa is one of my favorite things ever. But Djokovic wasn't top-drawer in set 1...in set 4, I think he was just out-played. That said, Medvedev making a real show of himself, and Rafa pulling it out are both great story lines. And, it went 5, which people tend to prize. Prefer that one, as you will. I'm mostly glad Rafa won both.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously it's true, and you fedtard are talking about clueless? what a piece of ****

I guess Nadull boinked too many rafinas and dumped them so they can't think straight.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats, MOX and MARGERET and to all the Nadal fans. That was one helluva win. Am starting to watch these games now and yesterday (as per my Fox box digital IQ 2 oldie but a goodie). Nadal looked passive at times in his quarterfinal. Is that how he was in the final when leading two sets to 0 ?

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess Nadull boinked too many rafinas and dumped them so they can't think straight.

Ever since the Wimbledon final, you Fed fans have been: :banghead:

And ever since the US Open final, you Fed fans have been: :cry:

Grow up! :cuckoo: :rolleyes: