Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I actually think that the thing that made him emotional was that he pulled out the victory, full stop. While he probably should have done it earlier, he didn't, and so was forced to reach deep for it. As we know, Rafa believes that great results come with a certain amount of suffering. Unfortunately for us fans, there was a lot of suffering for us, too, to see it through to the end. :lol6:
Moxie, I don't think we could have survived loosing that match being so close to #19...Yes, we have seen Rafa blow a 2 set lead before in the finals at SW19 (08) but he still found a way to win.. However, 2 set to love lead, then 5-2 in the 5 set would have been beyond suffering , it would have been mental insanity.. Typically , I watch Rafa matches by myself or keep in communication with a few other Rafa's fans. This time my wife and I postpone our Sunday afternoon to watch Rafa and she doesn't give a damn about Nadal but knew how much it meant to me..All I can say is finally the Tennis gods got it correctly this time and had mercy of the Rafa fans.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It's funny, I wrote almost the same as what R1992 posted without reading his post because I felt compelled to reply to Moxie's good post about suffering..I see some of us Rafa fans are on the same page. Amen

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
As much we did suffer watching him him, his celebration at the end makes him smile until he wins his next slam (hopefully the 2020 AO!). Also, he has now won three out of four slams in five sets:

2008 Wimbledon Final
2009 Australian Open Final
2019 US Open Final

I pray to the tennis gods that he does not need a fifth set to win another Roland Garros or else we might have to take out 5 bottles of wine, Moxie :help:
Novak or no Novak, Rafa can win AO 20 but not playing like he did vs Diego S and Danil Medvedev.. Rafa played with too many nerves and would get massacre by Roger and Novak's game.. Although his serves were harder his placement was too predictable. I still feel it was nerves and Rafa played down a bit to the level of his competitions. Yes, he was choking because he had numerous opportunities to put his foot on the throat of his opponents but didn't..I hope that Frankie Roig, Carlos and Toni collectively sit Rafa down and reviews this match just as they didin the training room afterwards the Bennetti match..
Hard first flat serve, CC BH and first strike tennis with FH is the only way he can win AO..

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Novak or no Novak, Rafa can win AO 20 but not playing like he did vs Diego S and Danil Medvedev.. Rafa played with too many nerves and would get massacre by Roger and Novak's game.. Although his serves were harder his placement was too predictable. I still feel it was nerves and Rafa played down a bit to the level of his competitions. Yes, he was choking because he had numerous opportunities to put his foot on the throat of his opponents but didn't..I hope that Frankie Roig, Carlos and Toni collectively sit Rafa down and reviews this match just as they didin the training room afterwards the Bennetti match..
Hard first flat serve, CC BH and first strike tennis with FH is the only way he can win AO..

The main thing for him going forward is how much he can hold his “nerves” in big situations. IF he can manage his nerves, then his FH, CC BH, return of serve will be fine as he will able to dictate the rallies. But if he gets tight, those shots will be soft and will get attacked by anyone!

I will say this: I’m impressed on how hard he hit his serves even when he was getting nervous and start “choke.” Also, I like on how he was switching his return position regardless it was working or not.

Those things tell me that he really listens to Moya’s teaching and he is willing to lose some points in order to continue to be aggressive! If can continue to do that on hardcourts, then he will be fine for 2020 AO.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The main thing for him going forward is how much he can hold his “nerves” in big situations. IF he can manage his nerves, then his FH, CC BH, return of serve will be fine as he will able to dictate the rallies. But if he gets tight, those shots will be soft and will get attacked by anyone!

I will say this: I’m impressed on how hard he hit his serves even when he was getting nervous and start “choke.” Also, I like on how he was switching his return position regardless it was working or not.

Those things tell me that he really listens to Moya’s teaching and he is willing to lose some points in order to continue to be aggressive! If can continue to do that on hardcourts, then he will be fine for 2020 AO.
Very true.. although please include Frankie Roig and Toni..all have told Rafa that he must change or he will endure another defeat to Roger and especially Novak..

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Hopefully Nadal will show up, with a high level at Laver cup+ not give easy wins to the next generation players, like N.kyrgios.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Man, of all the takeaways from a classic final like this, I never in a million years thought Anti-Pusher’s CV would be one of them. But here we are.

Note: nobody gives a shit about your career accomplishments in a thread about the US Open final.

Reactions: Front242

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Am I the only one sceptical about him saying Bill Gates listens to him?

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
All in all, you are correct that the Big Three while they are wonderful and spectacular tennis players, at the end of the career, they are human beings after all. As the 2019 Grand Slam season comes to an end and the 2020 Grand slam season is around the corner, the Big Three will not only feel more pressure mentally but also physically. So they will try their very best to seize all their opportunities as much as possible.

Fixed it for you.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal also, my favourite player and don't a learn a single thing from him sorry, bro but it's not nonsense, he does not a say anything ,that we Nadal fan's don't already know or said before in this forum. Just because your a Federer fan and know nothing about Nadal, does not mean other Nadal fan's, knows just as much as your hero. Lol deep down you know Nadal+ Djokovic have been way better than Federer in the 2010s, grand slams titles Djokovic 15, Nadal 13, Federer 5) that's going to be huge in the goat war.

This might come as a surprise for you but just 'cos I'm a Federer fan does not mean I know nothing about Nadal. That's some weird theory right there. :cuckoo:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I say what I'm thinking about those posters including you after to read all those silly comments, so when you are talking about immature fans is very obvious that Federer's fans like you are the winners. You always do the same, blaming to others what you (Federer's fans) start with your hatred and provocations and of course as more achievements Nadal takes as more hatred you show. My question is to whom you are trying to deceive? only yourself or someone like you, and yes, you are the one who looks very angry and bitter person, now it's me who can say what a load of crap from you!

Read the whole thread crazy lady. I didn't post a damn thing to start any argument. It was your Nadal buddies whose nicks start with Nadal stupidly boasting about supposed GOAT after the match was over and they went on and and on in practically every thread. The sane Nadal fans here and decent Nadal fan posters have even pointed that out multiple times.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Read the whole thread crazy lady. I didn't post a damn thing to start any argument. It was your Nadal buddies whose nicks start with Nadal stupidly boasting about supposed GOAT after the match was over and they went on and and on in practically every thread. The sane Nadal fans here and decent Nadal fan posters have even pointed that out multiple times.
Same like you and your Federer buddies are doing after 2017 waiting for the #21, #22, #23 etc etc etc. And about "crazy" we have enough with you!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
@Front242 it must not be easy to see Federer turn into Sampras but chill out it's just tennis... :smooch:

I take it you're talking about "the decline" of Sampras in this instance! Roger's nowhere near that level yet; still challenging at Masters and majors! Poor Pete went over 2 years without a title of any sort from his 2000 Wimbledon victory until his miraculous run at the 2002 USO taking out his pigeon in the final, Andre Agassi! The grind of holding the YE #1 for 6 years had aged Sampras before his time; the constant stress taking out his hair before turning 30! On another site someone told me without the hair dyes and facial cover-ups, the rigors of the tour would show up more on Federer! Heaven knows Rafa's aged before his time even though he still takes some of the best pictures in advertising! Roger's going to hold it together thru the Olympics at least and have no doubt he'll manage it well while the NG'rs have to continue "waiting their turn!" :whistle: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
This might come as a surprise for you but just 'cos I'm a Federer fan does not mean I know nothing about Nadal. That's some weird theory right there. :cuckoo:
I know you some things about Nadal so just chill, can't take a joke? Everyone knows your deep obsession+ love for Nadal. Also can say number 20 AO)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I know you some things about Nadal so just chill, can't take a joke? Everyone knows your deep obsession+ love for Nadal. Also can say number 20 AO)

If Djokovic is healthy in January he's the favourite there as he's won it 7 times, followed by Federer with 6 and Nadal with 1. If the surface is still playing pretty fast then Djokovic won't be anywhere near as much of a favourite over Federer as he was when it was slow/medium pace though. A lot of course depends on the physical state of the top 3, in fact top 4 with Medvedev now.

Medvedev has the potential to upset any of the big 3 there given his game will be much more suited to the faster court and we saw how far he got on the much slower USO. Should be a fun slam.

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
If Djokovic is healthy in January he's the favourite there as he's won it 7 times, followed by Federer with 6 and Nadal with 1. If the surface is still playing pretty fast then Djokovic won't be anywhere near as much of a favourite over Federer as he was when it was slow/medium pace though. A lot of course depends on the physical state of the top 3, in fact top 4 with Medvedev now.

Medvedev has the potential to upset any of the big 3 there given his game will be much more suited to the faster court and we saw how far he got on the much slower USO. Should be a fun slam.
I agree that Djokovic will be favourite to win 8th AO) but that was the case at USO+ Nadal won, it could happen again Nadal can get lucky again. If Federer to win AO that would be insane and prove a lot of people wrong, I don't think he will so we see. Medvedev could be the one beats Djokovic if they play, has no metal scars like Federer+ Nadal)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree that Djokovic will be favourite to win 8th AO) but that was the case at USO+ Nadal won, it could happen again Nadal can get lucky again. If Federer to win AO that would be insane and prove a lot of people wrong, I don't think he will so we see. Medvedev could be the one beats Djokovic if they play, has no metal scars like Federer+ Nadal)

Of course Nadal can win it. Have a feeling Djokovic either won't be healthy or will come in less than fit and lose earlier than expected. Personally see it as possibly a 3 way race with Federer, Nadal and Medvedev but we'll see.