Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Medvedev in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
No, Front[ ... ] Maybe you can find some Lukas Rosol fan club or website you can become the administrator .

@Front242 : I am appalled that you reached that low in order to become a member of the LuRAS (Lukas Rosol Appreciation Society). Do you think that public outcry could soften our judgment? I mean, what do you thing that the Ethernal Board members are? We would never fall for such cheap tactics. I thought you would not do anything worst than asking for your family members to call here asking for you... (sigh). I mean, you had all the correct qualifications, all you needed was a bit more patience. I should not tell you this, but at one moment you were the FIRST in line to be admitted. But you could not be patient enough. Sadly I must now tell you that you may never become a full member.

Unless, of course, that you are able to sing our anthem well enough. But given latest developments you may well be required to the official dance as well.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Before people scream at me, I can assure you that in 15 years of watching Nadal, I've never seen him choke as much on forehands - one shot that never fails him consistently. His serve, backhand etc would go AWOL when was tight. But the bread and butter forehand would always work - even if it was moonballed back, he would not make an error on a sitter forehand.

Surprisingly, he made plenty of those all tournament. He choked, and then some, against most of his opponents. He relied on experience and luck to get him through and won ugly. Hence all the tears at the end, because he knew he was beatable this slam and still had to somehow cross the finish line.

Lol....your idealized image of Nadal being utterly perfect and unbeatable has always been comical. But if you want to play this game and argue that 2019 Nadal was weak, can you please tell us which versions of Nadal were A or A+ versions?

In 2012, supposedly in his prime, he missed a similar shot against Djokovic at the Australian Open. Missing one easy shot is not an indication of a terrible overall level.

Why is it "nowhere near"? Djokovic's forehand was better than Nadal's for most of the 2013 final and produced far more winners.

For Nadal this wasn't anything out of the ordinary because he always manages to take advantage of his opportunities. His mindset is oriented toward "one match at a time." I think you're making too big a deal of the pressure because that kind of thing has never affected him much.
I don't disagree that Nadal's forehand was off by a lot in the final. There was certainly some choking going on...which is the reason that he missed that FH in the AO you mention...nerves. What I don't agree with is that it's never been missed as much. In 2015-16 when he wasn't playing so well and his confidence was low, there were a lot more misses, and a notable choke v. Fognini at the USO. And I think you like to make out that when Nadal plays some B- level tennis, or worse, that it's really just his level, and he then pulls out a lot of matches by dint of will. This is far less often the case than you like to make out. I also disagree that Nadal choked a lot v. most of his opponents during this US Open. He actually was by far the best player of the fortnight.

What I wanted to post today, and this has not much to do with your post, Cali, but I decided to respond to you, and add my own thought, as they are related, but which was that I don't so much like it when Nadal is called a "Machine." Medvedev said it, and others have. I know they mean it as a compliment. But what the final on Sunday showed was that he's NOT a machine, he's a human being. When presented with a very good opportunity, in a situation where all of the pressure was on him to win, he got tight. And he was pretty tight for most of the match. We've discussed here that as the top guys get older, they know that these opportunities become less frequent...to even make a Major final, much less not to have to face his 2 biggest rivals. So again, this is where I disagree with you, Cali. Nadal has certainly been a great opportunist over much of his career, and so has Roger. But we see them missing sweet chances more than they used to. I think it's not so much an aging body as an "age perspective." They have a sense of how much rarer these opportunities will become for them, and feel the pressure to seize the moment. As it may not come again. Imo, that is what happened to Roger at Wimbledon this year.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Front242 : I am appalled that you reached that low in order to become a member of the LuRAS (Lukas Rosol Appreciation Society). Do you think that public outcry could soften our judgment? I mean, what do you thing that the Ethernal Board members are? We would never fall for such cheap tactics. I thought you would not do anything worst than asking for your family members to call here asking for you... (sigh). I mean, you had all the correct qualifications, all you needed was a bit more patience. I should not tell you this, but at one moment you were the FIRST in line to be admitted. But you could not be patient enough. Sadly I must now tell you that you may never become a full member.

Unless, of course, that you are able to sing our anthem well enough. But given latest developments you may well be required to the official dance as well.
I'm shocked that you think that Front gives a toss about your LuRAS, when he is already the President of the Robin Soderling Bromance Association. (RobSodBroAssoc.) Sure, he might send you the odd contribution, but the RSBA has far more members, and more strident anthem, judging from the outside.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm member of BerdJoStakAnderRaoAnder Appreciation Society, and?............:lulz2::D:good::finger:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I'm shocked that you think that Front gives a toss about your LuRAS, when he is already the President of the Robin Soderling Bromance Association. (RobSodBroAssoc.) Sure, he might send you the odd contribution, but the RSBA has far more members, and more strident anthem, judging from the outside.

HE IS ONLY PRESIDENTof RobSodBroAssoc BECAUSE HE BOUGHT THOSE VOTES!!! THOSE BASTARDS SOLD THEMSELVES FOR A FEW NUDE PICTURES OF KOURNIKOVA. Then he kicked me out, that bastard. But he still has the nerve to BEG to get in LuRAS. I can send you copies of the letters he sends, EVERY YEAR. It has something to do with bottles, I guess.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
HE IS ONLY PRESIDENTof RobSodBroAssoc BECAUSE HE BOUGHT THOSE VOTES!!! THOSE BASTARDS SOLD THEMSELVES FOR A FEW NUDE PICTURES OF KOURNIKOVA. Then he kicked me out, that bastard. But he still has the nerve to BEG to get in LuRAS. I can send you copies of the letters he sends, EVERY YEAR. It has something to do with bottles, I guess.
Oh, no, he comes by that title legitimately.

Reactions: mrzz

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is possibly the nadir of discourse on these forums. Nadal trolls in full voice, and kindergarten name-calling, if that's not an insult to kindergarteners. :facepalm:

I am sorry if I am too civil for these forums, @Moxie :-(:cry:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
This is just nonsense, sorry. Nadal is his favourite player and he posts very in depth posts about Nadal's performances in his matches, what he did well, what he didn't do well, etc. and not mere stats. In fact I'm pretty sure the likes of tennis.com learn a lot from the more insightful posters here.
Nadal also, my favourite player and don't a learn a single thing from him sorry, bro but it's not nonsense, he does not a say anything ,that we Nadal fan's don't already know or said before in this forum. Just because your a Federer fan and know nothing about Nadal, does not mean other Nadal fan's, knows just as much as your hero. Lol deep down you know Nadal+ Djokovic have been way better than Federer in the 2010s, grand slams titles Djokovic 15, Nadal 13, Federer 5) that's going to be huge in the goat war.

Last edited:
Reactions: the AntiPusher

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal also, my favourite player and don't a learn a single thing from him sorry, bro but it's not nonsense, he does not a say anything ,that we Nadal fan's don't already know or said before in this forum. Just because your a Federer fan and know nothing about Nadal, does not mean other Nadal fan's, knows just as much as your hero. Lol deep down you know Nadal+ Djokovic have been way better than Federer in the 2010s, grand slams titles Djokovic 15, Nadal 13, Federer 5) that's going to be huge in the goat war.
No, actually Front's right. Broken knows what he's talking about, and you are an attention-seeking troll. Why don't you give it a rest?

Reactions: Front242

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
No, actually Front's right. Broken knows what he's talking about, and you are an attention-seeking troll. Why don't you give it a rest?
No I'm not giving anything a rest and broken has not said anything I don't already know that's a fact not trolling. Sorry crazy lady but trolling is that your trying to do to me now which will not work. Attention-seeking crazy lady troll sounds more like it, was I even talking to you? Why you even talking to me I don't care that you say or that your opinion is, not going to stop because a person like you that has no home training tells me to.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No I'm not giving anything a rest and broken has not said anything I don't already know that's a fact not trolling. Sorry crazy lady but trolling is that your trying to do to me now which will not work. Attention-seeking crazy lady troll sounds more like it, was I even talking to you? Why you even talking to me I don't care that you say or that your opinion is, not going to stop because a person like you that has no home training tells me to.
Ok, that sounds sane.

Reactions: Front242

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't disagree that Nadal's forehand was off by a lot in the final. There was certainly some choking going on...which is the reason that he missed that FH in the AO you mention...nerves. What I don't agree with is that it's never been missed as much. In 2015-16 when he wasn't playing so well and his confidence was low, there were a lot more misses, and a notable choke v. Fognini at the USO. And I think you like to make out that when Nadal plays some B- level tennis, or worse, that it's really just his level, and he then pulls out a lot of matches by dint of will. This is far less often the case than you like to make out. I also disagree that Nadal choked a lot v. most of his opponents during this US Open. He actually was by far the best player of the fortnight.

What I wanted to post today, and this has not much to do with your post, Cali, but I decided to respond to you, and add my own thought, as they are related, but which was that I don't so much like it when Nadal is called a "Machine." Medvedev said it, and others have. I know they mean it as a compliment. But what the final on Sunday showed was that he's NOT a machine, he's a human being. When presented with a very good opportunity, in a situation where all of the pressure was on him to win, he got tight. And he was pretty tight for most of the match. We've discussed here that as the top guys get older, they know that these opportunities become less frequent...to even make a Major final, much less not to have to face his 2 biggest rivals. So again, this is where I disagree with you, Cali. Nadal has certainly been a great opportunist over much of his career, and so has Roger. But we see them missing sweet chances more than they used to. I think it's not so much an aging body as an "age perspective." They have a sense of how much rarer these opportunities will become for them, and feel the pressure to seize the moment. As it may not come again. Imo, that is what happened to Roger at Wimbledon this year.

I like to continue on what you are saying here, Moxie (btw, you are 100% correct). If you look at the Big Three in the last two slam finals of the decade (Wimbledon and US Open), you could tell that they were feeling the pressure of trying to win a slam.

In the Wimbledon final, both Federer and Djokovic were trying to get some type of momentum but they could not sustained it. There was a period of the match in which it was hard for them to hit winners because they were so cautious of making an error. And once they did hit a hard shot it went to the net or went wide. I remember we were talking about on how Djokovic had a mental walkabout even after having a 1 set lead twice over Federer. Heck, even in the fifth set, after he broke Federer's serve at 3-2, he was immediately broken back by Federer. Then, in Federer's case, he felt the pressure in the 1st set tiebreaker after leading 5-3 and then of course the infamous game 8-7, 40-15...

Fast forward two months later, Nadal had the same type of pressure that Djokovic and Federer felt and experience in the Wimbledon final. Nadal had a two set lead and break in the 3rd set. Then while serving at 3-2, deuce, after he hit a wonderful BHDTL to force Medvedev to play stretch defense, Nadal inexplicably missed an easy volley that would have gave him a game point. Since that missed volley point, Nadal started to get tight and started to hit short balls with forehand.

All in all, you are correct that the Big Three while they are wonderful and spectacular tennis players, at the end of the day, they are human beings after all. As the 2019 Grand Slam season comes to an end and the 2020 Grand slam season is around the corner, the Big Three will not only feel more pressure mentally but also physically. So they will try their very best to seize all their opportunities as much as possible.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I like to continue on what you are saying here, Moxie (btw, you are 100% correct). If you look at the Big Three in the last two slam finals of the decade (Wimbledon and US Open), you could tell that they were feeling the pressure of trying to win a slam.

In the Wimbledon final, both Federer and Djokovic were trying to get some type of momentum but they could not sustained it. There was a period of the match in which it was hard for them to hit winners because they were so cautious of making an error. And once they did hit a hard shot it went to the net or went wide. I remember we were talking about on how Djokovic had a mental walkabout even after having a 1 set lead twice over Federer. Heck, even in the fifth set, after he broke Federer's serve at 3-2, he was immediately broken back by Federer. Then, in Federer's case, he felt the pressure in the 1st set tiebreaker after leading 5-3 and then of course the infamous game 8-7, 40-15...

Fast forward two months later, Nadal had the same type of pressure that Djokovic and Federer felt and experience in the Wimbledon final. Nadal had a two set lead and break in the 3rd set. Then while serving at 3-2, deuce, after he hit a wonderful BHDTL to force Medvedev to play stretch defense, Nadal inexplicably missed an easy volley that would have gave him a game point. Since that missed volley point, Nadal started to get tight and started to hit short balls with forehand.

All in all, you are correct that the Big Three while they are wonderful and spectacular tennis players, at the end of the day, they are human beings after all. As the 2019 Grand Slam season comes to an end and the 2020 Grand slam season is around the corner, the Big Three will not only feel more pressure mentally but also physically. So they will try their very best to seize all their opportunities as much as possible.
Great post. As much as I sometimes think that all of this mishegoss behind the scenes is so much fan partisanship, it's clear that they know they are playing for their legacies. Even if not against each other, (though there has to be some sense of that,) but at least or if only to have one more great win in the books. Rafa said to win one more and catch Roger, or not, won't change his happiness with his career. Take that as you will. But he would have been unhappy with himself to have missed this particular opportunity.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great post. As much as I sometimes think that all of this mishegoss behind the scenes is so much fan partisanship, it's clear that they know they are playing for their legacies. Even if not against each other, (though there has to be some sense of that,) but at least or if only to have one more great win in the books. Rafa said to win one more and catch Roger, or not, won't change his happiness with his career. Take that as you will. But he would have been unhappy with himself to have missed this particular opportunity.

Especially after being up two sets up AND a break in the third set.

That's why Nadal was so emotional after the match because he knew that if he would lost the match, he would not have the opportunity to try to surpass Federer's slam count.

It is why I often insists in these forums that while I do not know on whether or not Nadal will surpass Federer (or Djokovic surpasses Nadal and/or Federer), I know that as long as Nadal is healthy, competing and winning at least 1 slam per year, he will have opportunities to finally one day surpass Federer. To be honest, just like Nadal, as long he has opportunities to reach GS final and win a Slam I will be very happy. Because at the end of the day, all you want as a sports fan is for your favorite player or team to get an opportunity to win big titles. :-)2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Especially after being up two sets up AND a break in the third set.

That's why Nadal was so emotional after the match because he knew that if he would lost the match, he would not have the opportunity to try to surpass Federer's slam count.

It is why I often insists in these forums that while I do not know on whether or not Nadal will surpass Federer (or Djokovic surpasses Nadal and/or Federer), I know that as long as Nadal is healthy, competing and winning at least 1 slam per year, he will have opportunities to finally one day surpass Federer. To be honest, just like Nadal, as long he has opportunities to reach GS final and win a Slam I will be very happy. Because at the end of the day, all you want as a sports fan is for your favorite player or team to get an opportunity to win big titles. :-)2

I actually think that the thing that made him emotional was that he pulled out the victory, full stop. While he probably should have done it earlier, he didn't, and so was forced to reach deep for it. As we know, Rafa believes that great results come with a certain amount of suffering. Unfortunately for us fans, there was a lot of suffering for us, too, to see it through to the end. :lol6:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I actually think that the thing that made him emotional was that he pulled out the victory, full stop. While he probably should have done it earlier, he didn't, and so was forced to reach deep for it. As we know, Rafa believes that great results come with a certain amount of suffering. Unfortunately for us fans, there was a lot of suffering for us, too, to see it through to the end. :lol6:

As much we did suffer watching him him, his celebration at the end makes him smile until he wins his next slam (hopefully the 2020 AO!). Also, he has now won three out of four slams in five sets:

2008 Wimbledon Final
2009 Australian Open Final
2019 US Open Final

I pray to the tennis gods that he does not need a fifth set to win another Roland Garros or else we might have to take out 5 bottles of wine, Moxie :help: