• Nadal in 5 sets

• Del Potro in 3 sets

• Del Potro in 4 sets

• Del Potro in 5 sets

Results are only viewable after voting.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal leads the H2H 10-5 including the last two meetings (both were in the slams).

This will be their second career meeting at Wimbledon. Nadal won their only meeting in 2011 in four tight sets.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Del Potro played for two days in a row and the match went for over four hours and is officially the longest match of this Wimbledon. Besides , Del Potro was obviously frustrated at various points in the match. While I don't think Del Potro would be physically wasted, I expect him to be mentally wasted. You need 4 or 5 sessions with a Psychiatrist after playing a match with Simon to recover from it.

Del Potro made 63 UFE over the course of four sets in that match. Moreover, he was broken more times by Simon than the other way around, even though he won.

Del Potro's backhand is always a question and will be more exposed with Rafa's high bouncing top spin shots.

At the beginning of this tourney, when I looked at the draw, I thought that even if Rafa does not go out in the third round to Mischa (who did not even make it there), he will definitely be taken out by JMDP in QF. I no longer believe so.

But, Rafa is not playing great either and is already broken four times. Hence, I would give the gentle giant one set.

The match will be over in under three hours though.

Last edited:
Reactions: golds girl

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
I'll be surprised if pony wins this.

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I'm picking Rafa in 4. Del Potro won't be able to use the backhand slice and I don't know if he'll be able to hit over the backhand consistently with enough depth to avoid falling behind in points.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
2018 Wimbledon Championships: Day 9, July 11 - Order of Play
7h3Kb5O.png

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The clay court genius in 4 sets.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Voted Nadal in four. Nadals forehand needs to be off for DP to stand a chance. Maybe the cooler weather will help.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
By form and confidence, Rafa has a big edge over Juan Martín, who also didn't have today off. If Nadal can take the first on a break of serve, even if it's a trade of and break-back, which I sort of expect, then he'll relax and win in 3. But even worst-case, JMDP won't "survive" him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
By form and confidence, Rafa has a big edge over Juan Martín, who also didn't have today off. If Nadal can take the first on a break of serve, even if it's a trade of and break-back, which I sort of expect, then he'll relax and win in 3. But even worst-case, JMDP won't "survive" him.

I don't think it will be a total walk in the park like you do but DP seems to really fold against Nadal lately in big matches. And he seems to have been absolutely ghastly vs Simon but on his worst day he's way better than what Nadal has seen so far.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think it will be a total walk in the park like you do but DP seems to really fold against Nadal lately in big matches. And he seems to have been absolutely ghastly vs Simon but on his worst day he's way better than what Nadal has seen so far.
If I acted like it would be a walk in the park, that was bravado. I don't agree that he "folds" against Nadal...that would be you denigrating Nadal's play. I haven't seen him play a lot, but I disagree that he's been better than Nadal this tournament.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Could watch very little but even like that it is quite obvious that this is the best Wimbledon from Nadal since 2011, regardless of the results. Still don't think that he can beat an in-form good grass court player, but del Potro will hardly present himself as one today.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal to win this in a struggle. I think he'll "find a way" but his forehand needs to be on. It really feels like he's either not hitting it with enough intensity or the surface is just not eating up his spin at all which is really weird considering how hard and bouncy it is with the conditions, further indicating that it's the way he's hitting the ball that's the problem. I was watching old clips from Nadal on grass, including his 2011 match with DP here at Wimbledon, and the difference in forehands is pretty glaring. I can't explain it.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Could watch very little but even like that it is quite obvious that this is the best Wimbledon from Nadal since 2011, regardless of the results. Still don't think that he can beat an in-form good grass court player, but del Potro will hardly present himself as one today.
Welcome back, Mrzz! It's nice to see you around again. I've missed you.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
The yips are spreading...Nadal down a break in the second :facepalm:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But that break didn't last.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal knows how to take care of cupcakes unlike Roger.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
But that break didn't last.

Just tuned in. Happy to see thrift shop boy go out, but surprised that this match is not being followed scoreline is close. That linesperson screwed towell boy over big time.