2018 Wimbledon Championships - Men

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the match of the tournament was the QF match between Rafa and JMDP. What do you folks think?

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Overall happy with the results here. It is good to have Djokovic back in the conversation. I’m sure others might disagree who want to see Rafa and Fed rack up those numbers, but I don’t. I would rather see some new faces on these stages like Zverev and Theim. I was particularly disappointed in Thiem going out the way he did. These guys need to step it up and schedule better so they are fit, ready and well rested before the slams.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
Match of the tournament was faker roasting dull in the SF. One of the greatest matches of all time, topping Wim 08.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I never said he wasn't great in making huge comebacks. He's proven to be the best at that. That's part of what I mean about different aspects of mental toughness, for the most part he is tough as nails. I wouldn't say it's evened out though as I can't remember any major he has won after saving MP. He won 2014 USO QF vs Monfils and 2016 Wimbledon QF vs Cilic but he lost the semis after that.
I can't think of any big matches (GS SF or F) where he saved match point and came back to Win. Or from two sets down for that matter. AFAIK the biggest match he came back from two sets down and win was the 3rd round in FO 2009 against Haas. In retrospect that is hands down his greatest comeback. Fed used to be clutch until about 2009. After that I can think of 2 clutch performances. Murray Wimbledon 2012 (that break at in the 2nd set at the last moment) and AO 17 fifth set after a break down that too against RN. Whatever he was drinking!!!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
I read this satetement on Twitter:

No. of Grand Slam titles when beating a member of ‘Big Four’ en route:

Djokovic: 13 (100%)
Nadal: 13 (76%)
Federer: 8 (40%)

So Novak has hardest way to achieve GS, despite KA.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I read this satetement on Twitter:

No. of Grand Slam titles when beating a member of ‘Big Four’ en route:

Djokovic: 13 (100%)
Nadal: 13 (76%)
Federer: 8 (40%)

So Novak has hardest way to achieve GS, despite KA.

This is a direct consequence of Federer being the founding member of Big Four and is about five years older than others. If for example Novak was the founding members, obviously his % would be less merely because the others have not arrived yet.

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
This is a direct consequence of Federer being the founding member of Big Four and is about five years older than others. If for example Novak was the founding members, obviously his % would be less merely because the others have not arrived yet.

Could agree, oldest could past them before others come. But i still think too many often he was on Fed side, long time ago i saw some math calculations, that probability not so high than he really was in hard part.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I can't think of any big matches (GS SF or F) where he saved match point and came back to Win. Or from two sets down for that matter. AFAIK the biggest match he came back from two sets down and win was the 3rd round in FO 2009 against Haas. In retrospect that is hands down his greatest comeback. Fed used to be clutch until about 2009. After that I can think of 2 clutch performances. Murray Wimbledon 2012 (that break at in the 2nd set at the last moment) and AO 17 fifth set after a break down that too against RN. Whatever he was drinking!!!

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

It's harsh on him to reduce it to only major finals and semis. Roger has been great at comebacks from both 2 sets down and MP's down. Obviously the Haas match was huge but he also had one vs Benneteau in the third round of 2012 Wimbledon which he went onto win. Came back from 2 sets down vs Berd in 2009 AO, against Rafa in 05 Miami, Cilic in 2016 Wimbledon QF he saved MP's and came back from 2 sets down, same with Monfils in 2014 USO QF. He's saved MP's vs Mayer in first round of 2014 Shanghai and ended up winning the event, same with Berd in 2017 Miami QF.

So as you can see he's done it a lot, those are just pretty big ones from my memory. His issue has been the ones that got away after holding MP. It's a dreadful stat when we are talking nearly 20 matches including 4 GS QF and SF's that he's lost from match point up. The other bad stat as far as clutchness goes is his 5th set record in the business end of slams (semis and finals). It is now 6-9 and that's after wins vs Stan and Rafa at AO 2017 and against Cilic in 2018 AO. That stat used to be 3-9. I always said that was a far worse stat than the H2H with Nadal and I meant it!

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
very happy about Nole's come back, I missed him a lot, congrats champ !!

Reactions: Fiero425