2018 US Open Mens QF: Djokovic v Millman

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was saying the same thing to Thiem last night. Except it was 25 years :)
why 25 years? Who was more boring to you than Nadal 25 years ago? Sampras?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
There's no quit in Millman. Makes one wonder what his career might have been like without the chronic injuries...

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ump's a jerk! It's miserable out there with the humidity! The match is going to be over and he just had to do that! Idiot! :nono: :facepalm: :eek:

Novak was so pissed he deliberately ran out the clock again and the ref gave him a fault.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nice showing for him and a QF 475 000 $ checkout and a scalp over Roger. Not bad for a fortnights work.
The biggest favour Millman's done to most fans here is: spare Roger a further embarrassment with the worsening H2H against Novak. It's clear if Roger was playing tonight he would have received the same beating as in Cincy. But Millman stepped up to substitute poor geriatric Fed and received the beating instead.
As I said after Cincy, now Fed's reasonable option not to embarrass himself further is to retire. Pulling out a second "fairy tale run" is very unlikely. For it, Fed needs some (possibly "injury induced") sabbatical time off and absence of Djoker during the miraculous come back. Unrealistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: isabelle

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Expanding on my "sabbatical time off" above for Roger, after realising where Roger is in the context of this Novak-Millman match.
I think the rest of 2018 for Roger should be just Laver Cup & Basel. Forget about Shanghai defence and Paris. He should even take a rest from ATP finals, even if he qualifies.
Then 2019 should be taken very lightly. AO after Hopman Cup only if he's well rested. Maybe Wimby because that's the tradition and where he feels the best. And the obligatory LC again and DC in prep for Olympics. No gas left in the rusty tank to really do anything else. Even that should be done with caution: e.g. avoid long matches in AO and Wimby and hope not to hit against Djoker.
Then enter a long body preservation/reconditioning in 2020 in order to have a best shot in Olympics. To have such shot he must forget about anything else including GSes. Then he can cool down easy way with a farewell in Basel.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Expanding on my "sabbatical time off" above for Roger, after realising where Roger is in the context of this Novak-Millman match.
I think the rest of 2018 for Roger should be just Laver Cup & Basel. Forget about Shanghai defence and Paris. He should even take a rest from ATP finals, even if he qualifies.
Then 2019 should be taken very lightly. AO after Hopman Cup only if he's well rested. Maybe Wimby because that's the tradition and where he feels the best. And the obligatory LC again and DC in prep for Olympics. No gas left in the rusty tank to really do anything else. Even that should be done with caution: e.g. avoid long matches in AO and Wimby and hope not to hit against Djoker.
Then enter a long body preservation/reconditioning in 2020 in order to have a best shot in Olympics. To have such shot he must forget about anything else including GSes. Then he can cool down easy way with a farewell in Basel.

Roger's massive ego won't allow that much of a thin schedule regardless if it makes sense! He believes he can play a full schedule even though he finally gave up on PARIS! I was surprised he even cut the clay season last season, but even he finally realized the futility of it with the Next Gen asserting themselves in Rome, MC, & Madrid! :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger's massive ego won't allow that much of a thin schedule regardless if it makes sense! He believes he can play a full schedule even though he finally gave up on PARIS! I was surprised he even cut the clay season last season, but even he finally realized the futility of it with the Next Gen asserting themselves in Rome, MC, & Madrid! :whistle: :yesyes: :rolleyes:

Roger and his supposed "massive ego" hasn't played a full schedule in years now. He knows what he's doing but if he truly has the massive ego you say then he needs to man up and start winning more cos he's lost too many matches this year from winning positions.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
w
The wheels will come off the Millman now. We have had enough of him. He should leave the tournament.
why do you hate him ? is it just because he trashed the arrogant old Swiss ? or any other reason ? I can't get it

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

It doesn't matter if Roger takes two weeks off or five years... he's done winning majors. Period. How long he lasts on the tour will depend on how much he still enjoys playing tennis.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It doesn't matter if Roger takes two weeks off or five years... he's done winning majors. Period. How long he lasts on the tour will depend on how much he still enjoys playing tennis.

We shall see brotha. For my money he will always have a decent chance at Wimbledon. USO...forget about it and he's probably not going to win another AO though he definitely has some chance there next year if it stays as fast as the last couple years. But Wimbledon, he is inherently a top 2-3 favorite as long as he's healthy and I'd imagine it will be like that for the next 2-3 years.

As for how long he will enjoy it, that solely depends on how he does overall. I highly doubt he would enjoy it if he is barely a top 10 player.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam