Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal leads the H2H 5-0.

2018 Madrid Masters R16 Clay Rafael Nadal Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 6-3 6-4
2018 Australian Open R16 Hard Rafael Nadal Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 6-3 6-7(4) 6-3 6-3
2017 Monte Carlo Masters QF Clay Rafael Nadal Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 6-4 6-4
2015 US Open R64 Hard Rafael Nadal Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 7-6(5) 6-3 7-5
2013 Acapulco R32 Clay Rafael Nadal Diego Sebastian Schwartzman 6-2 6-2

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I’m in awe of Swartzman and would love to see him win a set. However, I think he’ll get blown off the court in 3.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
As many have stated before, only un unexpected injury can cause an upset in this match. Given very minuscule chances of such event, there is no need to even try giving shortman any chances, it would be like swimming against a very strong current. Nad in 3.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Obviously Nadal is the favorite, but if one has seen their past matches, one interesting aspect is that Schwartzman small size gives him kind of an advantage: probably because of this, he loves to get the ball on the rise, which is a very good (even if obviously risky) strategy against Nadal. Surely better than to lay back and be killed by the top spin. That's why most of their past matches had stretches of very competitive play, and why a "peak Schwartzman" is a good candidate for an upset against a so-so Nadal. Unfortunately, it is the other way around and we have a so-so Schwartzman against at least a pretty good version of Nadal.

Even so I will go with a twist in the plot: Schwartzman gets the first set and will lead by a break in the second. Then...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah I agree with mrzz in that Shwartzman will make it competitive (at least the rallies themselves, even if it's not reflected on the scoreline). If he's playing clean tennis, this will be an enjoyable match as he does take the ball very early and tries to be aggressive.

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I'm going to be brave & act out of character here by actually having something relevant to say & not just playing with words or saying what I want to happen in tennis sections & say I think Nadal will win in 3. Please don't ask me why though. I just do. I hope I'm not going to regret this attempt to act like everyone else.

Reactions: Moxie and mrzz

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From my city Bilbao with love......:heart:

It’s time that Nadal steps on the accelerator and of course even the little argentine is a tough fighter I hope Rafa finish the match as fast as possible but also he needs to improve that first serve which goes more often to the net than to the other side.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Lil Diego returns really well. That's worth a set, but there's only a 10% chance he gets that set.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
From my city Bilbao with love......:heart:

It’s time that Nadal steps on the accelerator and of course even the little argentine is a tough fighter I hope Rafa finish the match as fast as possible but also he needs to improve that first serve which goes more often to the net than to the other side.
Rafa needs to fix that serve, the little fighter has been into every one of Rafa’s service games. Where are the Lasers.. the cc bh that won MC, Barcelona and Rome.. ?

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Maybe people should listen to me when I say Nadal hasn't been impressive at all. This is an especially pitiful set though. Got broken 3 times, faced a break point in every other service game... Serve has no pace, no direction, or misses entirely. Ground strokes are garbage. He'll win this match -- I think -- but the semis will be worth watching.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not watching, but Diego took the first set. Nice.