Reactions
H2H: Thiem leads 4-2

2018 Madrid Masters F Clay Alexander Zverev Dominic Thiem 6-4 6-4
2017 Rotterdam R32 Hard Dominic Thiem Alexander Zverev 3-6 6-3 6-4
2016 Beijing R32 Hard Alexander Zverev Dominic Thiem 4-6 6-1 6-3
2016 FO - RG R32 Clay Dominic Thiem Alexander Zverev 6-7(4) 6-3 6-3 6-3
2016 Nice F Clay Dominic Thiem Alexander Zverev 6-4 3-6 6-0
2016 Munich SF Clay Dominic Thiem Alexander Zverev 4-6 6-2 6-3

I'm thinking those 3 consecutive 5 setters might just make this one hurdle too many for Sascha. I'll go with Dom in 4... but this should be good.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Going with Thiem in four too.

I have not been impressed at all with Zverev here. Then again, this is his first QF so apperently 'progress' is being made. I heard something about Zverev and blisters too? I think it could be done in three too, but Thiem generally has walkabouts.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Up until last season I was a great doubter of Zverev on clay. Even when he won Rome last year, I was not impressed, and credited it most to getting the right adversaries at the right time.

However, I must admit that he made a step forward last season and two more on this one (regarding clay). He is solid, and patient. More importantly, he does not fold. All those three are very important qualities in general, and specially good on clay.

Having said that, I watched two of his matches this tournament, and as said before, he was indeed outplayed in both of them, even if in both cases all credit to his adversaries that played at a very high level (but could not sustained it when it mattered. In Lajovic's case it was mostly physical, in Kachanov's 100% mental).

Against Thiem (who I could not still watch on this tournament), but who is surely on a growing curve, I do not think what Zverev has is enough. I would still give Thiem the edge even if Zverev would have 5 days to rest. Without them, I go with Thiem in three, and a free lesson on clay tennis. If Zverev is able to make it competitive for more than half a match I am already impressed (given the physical factor).

Reactions: Moxie

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Up until last season I was a great doubter of Zverev on clay. Even when he won Rome last year, I was not impressed, and credited it most to getting the right adversaries at the right time.

However, I must admit that he made a step forward last season and two more on this one (regarding clay). He is solid, and patient. More importantly, he does not fold. All those three are very important qualities in general, and specially good on clay.

Having said that, I watched two of his matches this tournament, and as said before, he was indeed outplayed in both of them, even if in both cases all credit to his adversaries that played at a very high level (but could not sustained it when it mattered. In Lajovic's case it was mostly physical, in Kachanov's 100% mental).

Against Thiem (who I could not still watch on this tournament), but who is surely on a growing curve, I do not think what Zverev has is enough. I would still give Thiem the edge even if Zverev would have 5 days to rest. Without them, I go with Thiem in three, and a free lesson on clay tennis. If Zverev is able to make it competitive for more than half a match I am already impressed (given the physical factor).

I don't think he was outplayed by Khachanov - hard fought match and I think he edged it (not just on the result).

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I don't think he was outplayed by Khachanov - hard fought match and I think he edged it (not just on the result).

For most of the first 4 sets, Kachanov was playing on the center of the court just throwing winners left and right. Zverev probably ran two miles from on side to the other. Kachanov was the guy controlling the points. Once he had two break points at 2-2 in the fourth, he simply started making one UFE after another. I guess that from there on he lost all game points and break points he had. But I am not saying Zverev played bad, his level was good for sure.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For most of the first 4 sets, Kachanov was playing on the center of the court just throwing winners left and right. Zverev probably ran two miles from on side to the other. Kachanov was the guy controlling the points. Once he had two break points at 2-2 in the fourth, he simply started making one UFE after another. I guess that from there on he lost all game points and break points he had. But I am not saying Zverev played bad, his level was good for sure.

Not really how I saw it mate. Zverev hit more winners, won more points and won more games. I thought it ebbed and flowed... I'll agree that was how I saw patches of the match too- there were spells where Khachanov did dominate but the same applied vice versa. It was to- and-fro with plenty of momentum shifts but I can't agree with the overall assessment.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Not really how I saw it mate. Zverev hit more winners, won more points and won more games. I thought it ebbed and flowed... I'll agree that was how I saw patches of the match too- there were spells where Khachanov did dominate but the same applied vice versa. It was to- and-fro with plenty of momentum shifts but I can't agree with the overall assessment.

Well, I really think the stats were the other way around until the early part of the fourth set, when Kachanov folded. Zverev surely dominated and was the better player from then on.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am also going for Thiem in 4. Thiem is a two time defending semifinalist here. Sasha managed only one clay win over Thiem and that too when Thiem was coming from the high of demolishing dirt devil.

Sasha reached his first QF this year and he may make it to SF next year and then perhaps lose to Rafa in the finals in 2020. He has long a way to go before that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I picked Thiem to make the finals in my draw. But I'm going to pick Zverev now. Why not? Flip of the coin? But I honestly think Sasha is the better player, and the hungrier. Sure, Thiem is arguably better on clay, but Zverev has 2 MS1000 on clay. Thiem no MS 1000s. I'd prefer to pick Zverev in 4, because I'm not sure he can do another 5-setter, but I actually do think it will go 5 and Sasha will win it.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
First blood Domi 6-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
First Blood Dominic... 6/4

This match hasn't really taken off yet... Thiem looking well within his comfort zone and bossing proceedings.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominator already broke Sasha in 2nd set

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
All those minutes on court showing up today. He asked for the trainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk