2018 NBA Finals: Warriors - Cavs (Part 4)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
yup. He subtly tried to throw the blame Lebron's way. Saying that he thought Lebron was going to call a timeout

What an idiot, the guy caught the ball 4 feet from the hoop. Either go up for the shot or immediately call timeout.

But it's clear he is lying and didn't know it was tied. Just trying to save face is all.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
His interview responses made him look more of an idiot and neanthral . If you know the game is tied. Why in creation would you dribble toward the opposing basket instead of trying to score to win. He ruined Lebron's brilliant effort. JR will be out of the league this time next year.

He didn't know it was tied, he's straight out lying about it and I don't blame him. This clown made C-Webb at Michigan look like a genius.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Also I don't actually feel sorry for LeBron at all because JR is one of the guys he secured a large contract for just because he likes him. Basically if LeBron likes you personally he is going to get you a contract on his team and with JR and the Kardashian, GM LeBron got them large contracts. That's what I was mentioning during the Celtics series, it's mostly his fault that he is with a bunch of scrubs.

Wherever he goes next if I'm GM I'm welcoming him with open arms the first few days and then a couple weeks in I'm telling Bron to put his "GM cap" down and stick to being the player/coach because his track record as the former is atrocious.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your thoughts on the block/charge controversy? It definitely looks like Lebron was blocking (you can see by how Lebron adjusts his positioning just before contact), but I'm guessing the issue is about the restricted area? In my view, and granted I'm no Cavs fan, even if it was unfair (and it seems it's balanced), that still doesn't compensate for drumming Draymond out in 2016...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
What are your thoughts on the block/charge controversy? It definitely looks like Lebron was blocking (you can see by how Lebron adjusts his positioning just before contact), but I'm guessing the issue is about the restricted area? In my view, and granted I'm no Cavs fan, even if it was unfair (and it seems it's balanced), that still doesn't compensate for drumming Draymond out in 2016...

It looked like a blocking foul to me. Note that the defender can be moving and in this case LeBron was there in time, the problem was he was kind of leaning sideways and falling a bit before KD hit him. If he had been straight up it'd have been a charge even though he was moving. My issue is that it is literally the only judgment call that can be overturned which is bizarre to me. It was reviewed because they weren't sure LeBron was out of the restricted area which is kind of crazy because he wasn't even close to the restricted area. Ultimately they got that one right but it highlights a major inconsistency with the review rules that they should fix.

However Cleveland got blatantly screwed on a few other plays in the 4th and even the first points of OT for KD was a clear strip. But Cleveland would've maybe taken it to 6 if they won last night. As for 2016 Draymond deserved to be suspended, he was stupid. He talked a lot of trash to LeBron and then James baited him with the ultimate disrespect of walking over him and Green couldn't control himself.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It looked like a blocking foul to me. Note that the defender can be moving and in this case LeBron was there in time, the problem was he was kind of leaning sideways and falling a bit before KD hit him. If he had been straight up it'd have been a charge even though he was moving. My issue is that it is literally the only judgment call that can be overturned which is bizarre to me. It was reviewed because they weren't sure LeBron was out of the restricted area which is kind of crazy because he wasn't even close to the restricted area. Ultimately they got that one right but it highlights a major inconsistency with the review rules that they should fix.

However Cleveland got blatantly screwed on a few other plays in the 4th and even the first points of OT for KD was a clear strip. But Cleveland would've maybe taken it to 6 if they won last night. As for 2016 Draymond deserved to be suspended, he was stupid. He talked a lot of trash to LeBron and then James baited him with the ultimate disrespect of walking over him and Green couldn't control himself.
I just think that walking over thing was out of order. I would have punched the guy walking over me in the balls on pure reflex alone

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I just think that walking over thing was out of order. I would have punched the guy walking over me in the balls on pure reflex alone

And he wouldn't have been suspended if he hadn't hit a couple other players in the balls earlier in the playoffs. Green deserved it. And yes there is nothing more disrespectful than someone walking over you like that! At least here in the States. AP and KS can attest to that I'm sure.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

That was pure bullshit, and not because it wasn't a block. It's a close call, I don't think it's that big of a deal that they overturned it. What's awful is the rule itself, and how the refs clearly falsely applied it to be able to bail themselves out. The rule says, and that was only added this season, that you can only review a charge call to see if it was in the restricted area (only in the final 2 minutes). Upon doing that however, you're allowed to see the foul call itself, and whether it was a charge or a block, and overturn it accordingly. Now, even ignoring how stupid and arbitrary that is, because in that case, why not review every controversial foul call in the final two minutes? Also, when you're reviewing an out of bounds call to see which player the ball came off of, why can't you then review if a player got fouled in the process? It's so arbitrary.

BUT, all that aside, the biggest reason the review was bullshit, is there is NO WAY the refs actually thought Lebron could have been in the restricted area when the foul took place here:

Dek_cx8U8AAw1BW.jpg

He's legitimately standing 3 feet outside of the restricted area. There is no way a ref could have missed that unless they were blind. Refereeing has been awful all season, and it's no surprise it's ruining the playoffs.

Last edited:

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He didn't know it was tied, he's straight out lying about it and I don't blame him. This clown made C-Webb at Michigan look like a genius.

Ty Lue said JR told him he thought they were up, pretty much confirming JR is lying to save face.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And he wouldn't have been suspended if he hadn't hit a couple other players in the balls earlier in the playoffs. Green deserved it. And yes there is nothing more disrespectful than someone walking over you like that! At least here in the States. AP and KS can attest to that I'm sure.

It's funny you reference Iverson walking all over Ty Lue (still one of the greatest moments in NBA finals history), because while watching last night, and they called that charge on Durant (before it was overturned), it looked like the Cavs might win (I was sure Lebron would score making it a 4 point game), it felt to me exactly like the Sixers' win over the Lakers in 2001 in game 1 at Staples, where a guy who somehow carried a bunch of bums to the finals through sheer heroics extends his heroics one more game to beat the juggernaut in game 1 on the road, before losing the next 4 (which the Cavs would have anyway).

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One more note about JR: He's obviously a complete idiot, but a lot of the blame should fall on Ty Lue. The moment JR didn't shoot the ball immediately and dribbled back, you call a timeout, period.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
One more note about JR: He's obviously a complete idiot, but a lot of the blame should fall on Ty Lue. The moment JR didn't shoot the ball immediately and dribbled back, you call a timeout, period.

Totally agree, and that's been lost in all of this.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's funny you reference Iverson walking all over Ty Lue (still one of the greatest moments in NBA finals history), because while watching last night, and they called that charge on Durant (before it was overturned), it looked like the Cavs might win (I was sure Lebron would score making it a 4 point game), it felt to me exactly like the Sixers' win over the Lakers in 2001 in game 1 at Staples, where a guy who somehow carried a bunch of bums to the finals through sheer heroics extends his heroics one more game to beat the juggernaut in game 1 on the road, before losing the next 4 (which the Cavs would have anyway).

Yeah there is definitely that parallel and that was the greatest "step over someone" of all-time. Bron's was great because we all know Draymond takes the trash talk too far sometimes, so LeBron threw him down and stepped over him. And it ended up helping the team a lot as Draymond did what Draymond does.

And that series with Philly-LA was an even bigger mismatch mostly because Iverson isn't in the same universe as a player compared to LeBron. If they had won last night this may have gone 6 and if it somehow went to 7 I think the whole state of California would've collectively pissed their pants.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

The refs were suppose to review Lebron’s feet were positioned not if it was a blocking or charge. That was very unfair to Lebron and the Cavs to change the call. However, it was a Block.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The refs were suppose to review Lebron’s feet were positioned not if it was a blocking or charge. That was very unfair to Lebron and the Cavs to change the call. However, it was a Block.

I'd be more fine with them getting the call right if they hadn't blatantly screwed the Cavs a few times in the 4th. It was just a bizarre sequence when you consider LeBron wasn't anywhere near the restricted area.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Now I want to preface my question before the Lebron lovers get on my case... I thought he was exceptional yesterday. I think he made the right call trying to get it to George Hill btw, even though one could argue that given he was so zoned he should have taken the shot. All he had was Steph guarding him. Now...

Is it just me, or were the Dubs all over the place defending him yesterday. There were plays where they almost seemed to move aside and let him have easy layups? So I guess my question is... am I right in thinking Lebron was exceptional yesterday or were the Dubs actually responsible for that? Maybe it takes time to adjust to someone other than Mr "fall down like a prick" Harden if you burp next to him?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is it just me, or were the Dubs all over the place defending him yesterday. There were plays where they almost seemed to move aside and let him have easy layups? So I guess my question is... am I right in thinking Lebron was exceptional yesterday or were the Dubs actually responsible for that? Maybe it takes time to adjust to someone other than Mr "fall down like a prick" Harden if you burp next to him?

Switching is a major part of modern NBA defense nowadays. The Cavs were forcing the Warriors to switch, and the Warriors were guilty of switching way too easily and not fighting through the screen, but that was the Cavs' strategy. Whoever Curry was guarding would set a screen for Lebron and force a switch so Durant couldn't stay on him. It doesn't help that Iggy wasn't there since he's usually the Lebron "stopper."

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Switching is a major part of modern NBA defense nowadays. The Cavs were forcing the Warriors to switch, and the Warriors were guilty of switching way too easily and not fighting through the screen, but that was the Cavs' strategy. Whoever Curry was guarding would set a screen for Lebron and force a switch so Durant couldn't stay on him. It doesn't help that Iggy wasn't there since he's usually the Lebron "stopper."
That's a fair analysis. Dubs were shocking. I actually feel for Lebron, he did everything he needed to do. It's hard to believe the Dubs can be that poor again

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm hoping officials don't punish Kevin Love for coming on the court during the Draymond/Tristan kerfuffle. That would be the sensible thing to do given the awful calls. But if they don't then think Cavs fans should complain too much as they get a big decision back in their favour

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 0
J Other Sports 3
Federberg Other Sports 90
DarthFed Other Sports 613
DarthFed Other Sports 659