2018-2019 NBA Season

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm delighted Giannis got MVP. I'm so over Harden. I know we should think about the playoffs but seriously the contrast is just too great. At least with Giannis we can make the excuse that he was a relative newbie in the post season. I have to assume that he'll be working on perimeter and mid-range shooting in the off season. I'm terrified just thinking about how good he could get

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
That was the first time I've watched the awards show. Definitely an hour too long but I thought Shaq and co. did a decent job.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And I'm as jumpy going into this free agency as a crack addict going through withdrawals. This may shape the Bucks future. One more shit playoff run next year and Giannis may bolt. If they didn't fuck it up this year he definitely stays and they probably get some discounts during this free agency. That disaster vs Barney may have cost this team a nice run.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Lots of deserving winners I think.
The timing is funny though. So much has happened since the regular season has ended. Can they squeeze this event between the end of the season and the beginning of the play offs? I know it is tight but it might mean more, no?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Lots of deserving winners I think.
The timing is funny though. So much has happened since the regular season has ended. Can they squeeze this event between the end of the season and the beginning of the play offs? I know it is tight but it might mean more, no?

Nah, that'd be too weird to have that and then a couple days later the playoffs start. The awards will always be regular season, just the way it is.

The last few years the MVP has been cheapened a bit by a disparity of regular season tigers who can't really get it done in the playoffs. Giannis fits the bill this year unfortunately. I do have hopes that he finds another gear in the playoffs if we are comparing him to recent winners (looking at Beard and the OKC cathedral builder). But what can you do? LeBron hasn't deserved to be MVP for awhile because he just coasts too much during regular season. Even before this year his teams often haven't finished that high and he plays zero defense until the postseason. And with KD and Steph on same team it'd be tough for either one to get it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
3. More. Days. This offseason is going to be Wild Wild West. I'm not hearing any rumblings about us chasing Horford so I'm guessing the plan is resign Middleton and Lopez for starters and unfortunately Brogdon probably walks. They should definitely resign Hill and make a decision on Mirotic. I don't think Mirotic and Ilyasova should be on the floor together. If they can't trade Ilyasova this offseason I wouldn't sign Mirotic even though he is basically a better version of Ersan.

The black sheep is the Bledsoe resigning. You'd let him walk and then who knows if you have room for someone else after resigning Brogdon and the others. I like Horst but like I said, he's on the radar after something that stupid. I do wonder if that was Bud's doing, he loves Bledsoe and may have applied pressure on Horst. It was a definite blunder. Next year is everything, a shit season of not making finals and they could lose Giannis

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yep Wild Wild West shit already. Bucks lost Brogdon but kept everyone else, kind of what I was expecting. Hopefully Bucks have some space left or create some with a trade of Ersan or others. This team needs some help.

Sounds more and more like Kawhi is leaving for LA, Butler definitely gone from Philly. Still some things to see out. Boston won't be as bad as I hoped. Walker is nice for them but they are not contenders unless they get a decent big man, at least for defensive purposes. Nets will be relevant but probably overrated going into next season, I don't think that highly of Kyrie or Jordan for that matter. But in 2020 when KD is back...that's obviously a contender. Pacers will be good, getting Brogdon helps. Bottom line, if Kawhi leaves, the Bucks would've been overwhelming East favorites next year if they kept Brogdon. I'm hoping for a surprise from them yet.

Reactions: Murat Baslamisli

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Poor Knicks, no Zion and then they miss out on KD and Kyrie. They get Julius Randle for 3 years 63 million as a great consolation prize :lol6:. All a big domino effect, Brooklyn has a better squad and front office, makes more sense for the big boys to go there than the mess that is the Knicks.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Damn, 76ers got Horford. Didn't see that one coming at all. They will be improved I think, even with losing Butler and Redick.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Bucks got the other Lopez bro, pretty damn good backup center. I hope his twin teaches him how to shoot from distance :)

I'm not expecting anything else until trade deadline. They have expiring contracts in Ersan and Leuer and a 1st round pick from Indy to scoop up a good player from a bad team at trade deadline.

Everyone awaits Kawhi's decision but got to hand it to Ainge. He outmaneuvers a bunch of people and has managed to keep the team relevant. No reason they should be able to beat Toronto (if Kawhi stays), Milwaukee or Philly in a series barring injury but they are in that big mix of teams below those.

Seems the greater you are as a player, the worse you are as GM. It's hard to name worse GM's than MJ, Magic and LeBron. Rozier for 20 mill a year when you would barely offer Kemba that? Does Jordan try to be as cheap and awful as possible?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Damn, 76ers got Horford. Didn't see that one coming at all. They will be improved I think, even with losing Butler and Redick.
I called this when Philly made the trade
upload_2019-7-1_21-18-9.png

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Philly offers Simmons max extension. I don't know man. How does someone that has no shot, mid range or long range, command that kind of dough is beyond me. I have watched the guy in the Raps series. They basically left him open on the perimeter...Maybe I am missing something.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Philly offers Simmons max extension. I don't know man. How does someone that has no shot, mid range or long range, command that kind of dough is beyond me. I have watched the guy in the Raps series. They basically left him open on the perimeter...Maybe I am missing something.

The guy is just about to be 23 and has only played two seasons. The fact he is this good without having any jump shot is telling. He wouldn't be the first player to significantly improve his shooting after coming into the league.

The question is how the F do all these teams have so much money. Harris got a max, Horford tons of money, they are throwing tons at Simmons now and will obviously find a way to do the same for their best player, Embiid. It's crazy. Cap just keeps going up, luxury tax is a factor and there are a million exemptions that determines mid-level or low-level signings. I can't even pretend that I try to follow it. Just tell me who is playing for which team and I will think whether it's a decent fit or not.

Bucks figure to be done this offseason...I think, no I really think...umm I don't know. But they replace Brogdon with Robin Lopez and Wesley Matthews. I like both signings, definitely strengthens the bench but it will be interesting to see who our starting SG will be. Definitely the weak link of the lineup.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I called this when Philly made the trade
View attachment 2384

Well before you pat yourself too hard he was a free agent that seemed to have no interest in resigning with a contending team that wanted him back. So it didn't seem like he was a locker room cancer like we are used to seeing. But now he goes to a scrub squad so he can become top dog. It won't go well, he's always been more of a #2 scorer.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well before you pat yourself too hard he was a free agent that seemed to have no interest in resigning with a contending team that wanted him back.
Too late. Patting myself all day. :lol6:

Seriously, to choose a scrub squad over a chance to win a ring? :facepalm: It just shows you his mentality. He has to be top dawg.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Too late. Patting myself all day. :lol6:

Seriously, to choose a scrub squad over a chance to win a ring? :facepalm: It just shows you his mentality. He has to be top dawg.

Yeah, I really don't get it, especially when you've been around many years. Buckets will get paid and put up decent numbers on a 30 win team with no expectations.

The fact some of these guys are getting max money or close to it shows that the max contracts haven't caught up with the overall cap yet. In theory guys like Middleton, Harris, Butler, etc should not be max players but in the current NBA...it's their market. Of course there is also Supermax and maxes based on experience. So those guys aren't tied for biggest contracts in the league but still...it seems like a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
That is huge. Clips were already good now they're a contender.