2015 Wimbledon Final: Djokovic v. Federer II

Make your choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Roger stepped it up big at the end of that 4th set last year. The only choke on Nole's part was the last game when it had been evened up. Regardless it was a better all around match last year. Both guys did better.

Nole's returning the last set today was outrageous but the match was already well in hand. Aside from that he never really had to get out of 2nd gear. Roger couldn't have played much worse considering this is grass. Sometimes it happens.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Front242 said:
Fiero425 said:
Well I've been saying it for a while now; would be nice for Roger to get one more major like Wimbledon, but not at the expense of Nole! I have to say it again; "this is Nole's time!" Roger had his and he can hang around all he wants, but I believe Djokovic has his number and will take him in any major match! He'll allow Roger that isolated win on a fast court in Dubai, but will embarrass him when it really counts; taking that gift 2nd set saved him today! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Man, you never fail to disappoint slagging poor Roger lol. Novak doesn't allow him wins, he loses sometimes. For a guy who used to support Federer you sure give him a hard time now. You think Roger felt embarrassed losing 6-4 in the 5th last year when it really counts? :rolleyes:

It wasn't Roger's great play that got him to that 5th set I'm sorry to say! Nole choked like a dog with 2 breaks of his own serve to even allow that TB! Sorry but Roger's a little "past it!" He's still the GOAT, but barely hanging on because of the gutless performances by the rest of the tour! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

You think Roger was gutless against Murray? He only lost to the eventual champion. No shame in that. Plus the guy he lost to is the world number 1 in his prime and almost 6 years younger. It's kind of expected really. While I would've been delighted to see Roger win, I really didn't expect it. And don't go down that route of choking 'cos it could be said of thousands of matches. Roger himself choked away 2 USO semis badly to Novak if you want to go down that route. I could go on but it's just silly.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Are we still harping about equal pay? The women have offered to play 5 sets, and the ITF has refused. Do you think networks, the tournament directors and men want to deal with the scheduling issues that might arise from making women play best of 5 sets. Do you think Djokovic or Federer wants to wait to play in the event that Serena or Maria or someone else goes the distance? I doubt it. The men can talk a good game about it but if you had to go on maybe 2-3 hours after when you were expecting, then you might not be a happy player.

:nono
Years ago, they tried having the women play 5 set matches. I am pretty sure the advertisers and sponsors were the ones to put an end to that. It was horrendously boring.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
If they want equal pay they should play the men.

That would also sort the issue of the skinnier girls trying to bulk up. Many, many tasty bagels would be consumed :D

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just finished watching the first three sets of the match. Nole served well and the depth of his shots throughout the match was excellent. Return of serve was also strong.

Roger's game was not nearly the level he played against Murray. Credit a good deal of that to the fact neither was Nole's level anything like where it was when he played Gasquet. :snicker

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
nehmeth said:
Sundaymorningguy said:
Are we still harping about equal pay? The women have offered to play 5 sets, and the ITF has refused. Do you think networks, the tournament directors and men want to deal with the scheduling issues that might arise from making women play best of 5 sets. Do you think Djokovic or Federer wants to wait to play in the event that Serena or Maria or someone else goes the distance? I doubt it. The men can talk a good game about it but if you had to go on maybe 2-3 hours after when you were expecting, then you might not be a happy player.

:nono
Years ago, they tried having the women play 5 set matches. I am pretty sure the advertisers and sponsors were the ones to put an end to that. It was horrendously boring.

That best of 5 for the women's V.S. year-ender in march initially, then moved to November in '86 was in direct response to how Martina Navratilova was "killin' it;" embarrassing her closest rivals in 40 min.! To keep her on the court for over an hour, it was established in '84; that being the only reason this was initiated! It should have been terminated a lot sooner BTW! That '90 match with Seles and Sabatini was painful to watch! It was a true grind IIRC; almost 4 hours and 5 sets! :eyepop :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Roger played well, not nearly as well as his semi-final. He was never going to serve nearly as well as he did against Murray because Novak is much more consistent and explosive on the return. I think anyone who thought he was going to get as many aces or unreturnables as he did against Murray well you were definitely returned to Earth today. He still had his chances, but unlike in his peak days, he is unable to capitalize. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you can't expend energy when Novak is up 40-0 or 40-15 and get it to deuce and not break. The big issue for Federer is using his energy and game at the appropriate time. Giving back breaks and making poor shot selection are not options against Novak. He can beat Novak at a slam, but he needs to manage his game during the match and take appropriate measures during important junctures. First set is most important!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Sundaymorningguy said:
Roger played well, not nearly as well as his semi-final. He was never going to serve nearly as well as he did against Murray because Novak is much more consistent and explosive on the return. I think anyone who thought he was going to get as many aces or unreturnables as he did against Murray well you were definitely returned to Earth today. He still had his chances, but unlike in his peak days, he is unable to capitalize. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you can't expend energy when Novak is up 40-0 or 40-15 and get it to deuce and not break. The big issue for Federer is using his energy and game at the appropriate time. Giving back breaks and making poor shot selection are not options against Novak. He can beat Novak at a slam, but he needs to manage his game during the match and take appropriate measures during important junctures. First set is most important!

ITA! You covered it! Thx! :p :angel: :dodgy: :clap

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBHq4nILUA[/video]

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Stats from last year's final versus this years. Granted last year's final was 5 sets and this was 4 but Roger had 16 more aces last year than Novak and just 1 more this year. Winners to unforced error ratio was also much worse this year for Roger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles_final

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day21/1701ms.html

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Impressive from Djokovic today, I must say. I sincerely thought the in-form guy was Roger, and that he might just dazzle Nole into submission. But Novak just reached around into his hip pocket and pulled out his A-game, all shiny and fresh, just when he needed it. And I don't think that Fed had a bad day for any other reason than the opponent. Well-done by the Serb. Cheers to the Djokovic fans!

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:

Interesting! Just wondering if anyone thinks that Serena, or any other woman, could beat any of the men ranked in the top 50, or maybe even the top 100. My guess is that she/they couldn't.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I. Haychew said:
britbox said:

Interesting! Just wondering if anyone thinks that Serena, or any other woman, could beat any of the men ranked in the top 50, or maybe even the top 100. My guess is that she/they couldn't.

OMG, we had this discussion on the ESPN MB when it was still up! It's been done already; Serena and Venus got their lunch handed to them by someone ranked #203; Karsten Braasch in 1998! He came out to the court hungover, hadn't shaved, smoking a cigarette and smoked them both IIRC; giving them doubles lines (1 & 2 respectively)!

- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100623163931AAXlfiH - :popcorn :eyepop

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
I. Haychew said:
britbox said:

OMG, we had this discussion on the ESPN MB when it was still up! It's been done already; Serena and Venus got their lunch handed to them by someone ranked #203; Karsten Braasch in 1998! He came out to the court hungover, hadn't shaved, smoking a cigarette and smoked them both IIRC; giving them doubles lines (1 & 2 respectively)!

- https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100623163931AAXlfiH - :popcorn :eyepop

I've never been on the ESPN MB. So, I guess I missed that discussion. Anyway, if what you say is true, then the women, in my opinion, shouldn't be paid as much as the men.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
To get back on track...
...Congrats to Djokovic and all of his fans!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
I. Haychew said:
britbox said:

If we make the argument that Federer made a better player out of Nadal, and both made a better player out of Djokovic, then I don't see how we can fault an amazing athlete like Serena Williams for not having to rise to the level of a better competition. In a scenario that can never be proven, were she to play in the mens game, Serena has a better serve than a lot of men, which would be an advantage. A powerful forehand. And she has a will to win that is equaled basically only by Nadal and Sharapova. If she had always been asked to play v. the men. I think she'd be she'd be top 10. She'd certainly be getting over the like of Dimitrov, Nishikori, Berdych, Ferrer, Raonic and Isner. Note that I'm saying if she'd always played on the men's side. If she had, I really think she could have beaten a lot of those weak also-rans.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie629 said:
Fiero425 said:
I. Haychew said:

If we make the argument that Federer made a better player out of Nadal, and both made a better player out of Djokovic, then I don't see how we can fault an amazing athlete like Serena Williams for not having to rise to the level of a better competition. In a scenario that can never be proven, were she to play in the mens game, Serena has a better serve than a lot of men, which would be an advantage. A powerful forehand. And she has a will to win that is equaled basically only by Nadal and Sharapova. If she had always been asked to play v. the men. I think she'd be she'd be top 10. She'd certainly be getting over the like of Dimitrov, Nishikori, Berdych, Ferrer, Raonic and Isner. Note that I'm saying if she'd always played on the men's side. If she had, I really think she could have beaten a lot of those weak also-rans.

Honey, back away from "whatever" you're doing! Seek serious help and we'll pray for you! :cover :rolleyes: :nono :angel:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Moxie629 said:
Fiero425 said:

Honey, back away from "whatever" you're doing! Seek serious help and we'll pray for you! :cover :rolleyes: :nono :angel:

Funny from you, who complains about the weakness of the also-rans. If you'd read my post, wondering if Serena had always played against the men, she might have been a different career. At 32, she's still head and shoulders above the rest of the women in the game. And I don't think that's a nock on the women's game. I think that's about Serena. She's a superior athlete, and has the mentality of a champion that is rare. If she'd grown up playing on the men's side, at least she'd have been one to give Federer a ride. She wears the pants better than a lot of those guys.