Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO8xMMIOFzE[/video]

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
19USC66 said:
DarthFed,
Federer's chance of winning another Major was done after 2012. His best chance was last year at the US Open and he ran out of gas. Nadal is done physically or so it seems and Roger is done mentally. He does not play big points well. How many straight forward forehands did he hit into the net today that were just ordinary straight forward strokes. Goodness we could have made an audio of the sound of the ball hitting the net. He did not play badly. He runs out of gas. Personally I thought Novak played well, but Fed had more chances this year than he did last. Djokovic was good but not great. This match could have been much worse.

Is Nadal done physically? really? on the contrary he is physically better than ever but it's clear he is not mentally so well which makes his body not working so well.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Had to grab some food there 'cos hadn't eaten since it started. Very solid by Novak and well deserved win. Way too many errors from Roger. Last year's final was a far higher quality match but there were patches of very good play here too amidst the slop. That first set tiebreak by Roger was abysmal. I think it's fair to say now that Novak is actually pretty good on grass! He's in some elusive company now with 3 Wimbledons.

Also goes to show that Djokovic is just an all round much tougher opponent than Murray and everyone, myself included, was reading too much into Roger's level from beating Murray so easily. Novak's serving (2nd in particular) and returning is far better than Murray's and he played a very clean match with less than half the errors Roger sprayed. Roger's points won on 2nd serve actually wasn't that bad today, it was the errors that killed him. Obviously a lot were forced but there were tons that weren't also.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
19USC66 said:
DarthFed,
Federer's chance of winning another Major was done after 2012. His best chance was last year at the US Open and he ran out of gas. Nadal is done physically or so it seems and Roger is done mentally. He does not play big points well. How many straight forward forehands did he hit into the net today that were just ordinary straight forward strokes. Goodness we could have made an audio of the sound of the ball hitting the net. He did not play badly. He runs out of gas. Personally I thought Novak played well, but Fed had more chances this year than he did last. Djokovic was good but not great. This match could have been much worse.

Is Nadal done physically? really? on the contrary he is physically better than ever but it's clear he is not mentally so well which makes his body not working so well.

Nadal is NOT physically better than ever. He's slower, less explosive and tires more easily. That's part of the reason he's losing more. As a fan you should surely be able to see this. It's the same with Roger. Slower to get in position to hit balls that result in higher amounts of errors.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sincerely I didn't mind who would win but I was expecting better final, I missed the two first sets but what I seen it was a pretty bad final. Roger? nah, nothing great at all, and Novak? taking advantage of it :nono :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Sincerely I didn't mind who would win but I was expecting better final, I missed the two first sets but what I seen it was a pretty bad final. Roger? nah, nothing great at all, and Novak? taking advantage of it :nono :cover

It wasn't a great match by any means. The 2nd set tiebreak was entertaining as it was so long and not only saying this 'cos Roger won it. He looked likely to lose it easily again like the first one but apart from a few good games here and there it wasn't a great match. Last year's match was far higher quality and all round more entertaining imo and no doubt most would agree. Novak was very solid though, very few errors.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
19USC66 said:
DarthFed,

Nadal is NOT physically better than ever. He's slower, less explosive and tires more easily. That's part of the reason he's losing more. As a fan you should surely be able to see this. It's the same with Roger. Slower to get in position to hit balls that result in higher amounts of errors. Btw what has any of the above got to do with Nadal? Just curious...

You can see it like whatever you want to see it. I'm not going to argue with you knowing of whom you are fan.......
But AGAIN, when the head doesn't work well, the legs and arms either, you can't be explosive
Roger is 34 years old, not comparison at all

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Should have been a straight set win, but I'll take it! Congrats to Nole taking #9 and moving past McEnroe, Connors, and Agassi! Maybe they will be able eliminate even mentioning McEnroe after anther win by Nole; #4 should take Becker and John off that graphic in a year or so! ;-) :clap :rolleyes: :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well Novak should feel better this year going into the U.S. Open as he has won 2 so far more than he has been able to win in a year since 2011. Glad to see him bounce back after that tough French Open loss.

The all important thing is Roger be seeded 2 in NY and that doesn't look to be in danger.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Nadal is NOT physically better than ever. He's slower, less explosive and tires more easily. That's part of the reason he's losing more. As a fan you should surely be able to see this. It's the same with Roger. Slower to get in position to hit balls that result in higher amounts of errors. Btw what has any of the above got to do with Nadal? Just curious...

You can see it like whatever you want to see it. I'm not going to argue with you knowing of whom you are fan.......
But AGAIN, when the head doesn't work well, the legs and arms either, you can't be explosive

It's down to style of play. Rafa's not much faster than Roger and there's 5 years age difference. It's got nothing to do with your head when your legs and reactions get slower. If he hadn't run so much after balls he shouldn't have tried tracking down he'd likely have a bit more spring in his step. It's not like he's slow now anyway, he's still fast but I'm simply saying he most definitely IS slower. They both are. This has nothing to do with which player I support either, it's just called using your eyes. Age isn't the issue. I'm lifting heavier weights than guys half my age in the gym.

The issue is Rafa's style of play means Roger isn't actually any older than him in tennis terms and if you want to talk about the head not working, that's actually more likely to be the older guy than the younger one. Ironically, you got it mixed up between the two of them.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Roger seems to be very frustrated after this loss and I don't blame him but if you don't serve and play so well don't expect the best results :nono

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Roger seems to be very frustrated after this loss and I don't blame him but if you don't serve and play so well don't expect the best results :nono

Actually his serving wasn't that bad. Nowhere near what it was against Murray but Novak's returning puts huge pressure on anyone's serve. Anyway, that serving performance against Murray was some of the best I've seen from Roger and he was never gonna replicate that against Novak who's just an all round better player than Murray is.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Actually his serving wasn't that bad. Nowhere near what it was against Murray but Novak's returning puts huge pressure on anyone's serve. Anyway, that serving performance against Murray was some of the best I've seen from Roger and he was never gonna replicate that against Novak who's just an all round better player than Murray is.

I'm surprised Nole didn't illicit more double faults because of that pressure he puts on the server! Roger played as well as he could, but a point here and there made all the difference! He needed to take that 1st set; as always being a "senior," coming back is going to be harder for him like today! :rolleyes::angel: :dodgy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:

It's down to style of play. Rafa's not much faster than Roger and there's 5 years age difference. It's got nothing to do with your head when your legs and reactions get slower. If he hadn't run so much after balls he shouldn't have tried tracking down he'd likely have a bit more spring in his step. It's not like he's slow now anyway, he's still fast but I'm simply saying he most definitely IS slower. They both are. This has nothing to do with which player I support either, it's just called using your eyes. Age isn't the issue. I'm lifting heavier weights than guys half my age in the gym.

The issue is Rafa's style of play means Roger isn't actually any older than him in tennis terms and if you
want to talk about the head not working, that's actually more likely to be the older guy than the younger one. Ironically, you got it mixed up between the two of them.

Wrong, Roger has not had bad injuries, he never has been out of the court for months (not even when he had that weird "mono") his world has been just around tennis, tennis and tennis, not more sports but how long that he hasn't won a GS? he looks more confident now than ever but today he looked old, he looked his age
Nadal has had for most of his career the knee issues but very strong mentality which has helped a lot to win
Now after a series of bad luck (like his back issue a little before to start the AO final 2014) and later the wrist and the appendicitis, he is healthy but going through a lack of confidence which is very usual in any athlete after injuries
When he recovery his confidence, his legs (by the way I haven't seem him so slow as you has said) and arms will work much better and then what are you going to say?
This is a cycle, they can't play so well year by year for diferent circunstances but not just because "their style" playing, then can you imagine how Novak would be by now? :cover

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will say Federer made the right ploy of coming to net and forcing Djokovic to come up with the goods in passing shots or by forcing Djokovic in, but Djokovic was on point with his passing game and he wasn't missing too much when forced in to the net.

I think Federer just needed to pick his spots better to force the issue with Djokovic.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I will say Federer made the right ploy of coming to net and forcing Djokovic to come up with the goods in passing shots or by forcing Djokovic in, but Djokovic was on point with his passing game and he wasn't missing too much when forced in to the net.

I think Federer just needed to pick his spots better to force the issue with Djokovic.

The large number of routine shots into the net didn't help either. And a large portion of those were not forced errors, but simply poor execution, nerves, both, whatever. And when you're making errors and your opponent isn't that doesn't help. Roger misses a lot more these days and he tends to do it more against Novak than Murray. And the reason is, Novak is better and that makes him edgy and he misses easy shots. Kudos to Novak who played a very clean match with very few unforced errors and as always his returning was top notch. Serve was solid too for the most part and his 2nd serve in particular has been excellent for many years now.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
One of the key problems (for which there is no solution at this age of Fed) is the disparity in ground strokes department. Fed cannot hang in the rally with Novak.

Look at the numbers below:

Novak Fed

GS winners 13 12
GS Forced Errors 21 30
GS UFE 12 29

The ground stroke winners are almost the same for both. But, Novak had just 33 errors (FE + UFE) whereas Roger had almost double that amount (59 errors). This has been the patten in their matches for quite a while now. Novak wins rally points at a ratio of about 2 to 1.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
This made me laugh. Roddick always had a good sense of humour.

https://twitter.com/ATNtennis/status/620271432489140224

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was home only the first two sets, then I had to leave, so I will watch the second half tonight on the replay.
All in all, way to go Nole!!!:clap:clap