2015 Wimbledon Final: Djokovic v. Federer II

Make your choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Congratulation to Novak. After watching both their semi, I simply hoped him could up his play to make a good final (not straight sets). It turned out he upped two levels and Roger downed one level. It could be straight sets, but in favor of Novak. What a turnaround.

Novak has more Wimbledon trophies than RG and USO combined. Can you believe it? Grass is well considered his weakest surface.

Kudos to Fed. He played unbelievable level @ 34 years old. Without Novak, he could have won IW, Rome and Wimbledon. Very solid year and No2 ranking fully deserved. To win another slam, he ONLY need someone to take out Novak. He can beat anyone else, except Rafa on clay. It will be very interesting to have another Fedal match this summer. I bet on Fed and the win will mentally boost him big. Rafa is a much bigger monkey on his back.

Back to the match, Novak serve huge and bailed him out in multiple crunch moments. After the 2nd sets, Novak had more ACE than Fed. Are you kidding me? Fed should have come to net as much as possible, Novak's passing shot was very sub-par. Either short lob or CC BH. It didn't hurt Fed at all. Tired, tentative, or want to show Novak that I can beat you in your game?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BIG3 said:
Congratulation to Novak. After watching bot their semi, I simply hoped him could up his play to make a good final (not straight sets). It turned out he upped two levels and Roger downed one level. It could be straight sets, but in favor of Novak. What a turnaround.

Back to the match, Novak served huge and bailed him out in multiple crunch moments. After the 2nd set, Novak had more ACES than Fed. Are you kidding me? Fed should have come to net as much as possible. Novak's passing shots were very sub-par. Either short lob or CC BH; it didn't hurt Fed at all. Tired, tentative, or wanting to show Novak that "I can beat you in your game?"

I was saying this about Roger going back to his prime when he would get into long, drawn out points and matches, hugging the baseline instead of attacking! It was like he was saying to himself, "I can hang with these kids and duke it out from the baseline!" It's catching up to him and I do believe it cost him more than a couple FO titles! He obviously can do it; esp. since it was him that stopped Nole's run in 2011 in a spectacular FO semi! He's vapored-locked since, really only catching Nole on fast courts like Dubai's! Other than that, I think Nole has the edge and any close matches will be the result of Nole "playing down" to Roger's level other than today where he raised them! Looks as if Roger would have beaten ANYONE else today, but that's why people acknowledge that Nole's still the best returner of serve; BARRR NONE! :eyepop :angel: :dodgy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I can say something else, the women final was infinitely much better than the men final :clap

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Novak and his fans. I have to admit I am astonished by how good his serve has become. And it is clutch as well. If you consider his serve and his return, in theory, he should not lose on fast surfaces. He may lose because of poor execution, or if an opponent plays a super match. From now on, consistency will be key for him if he wants to get closer to Federer and Nasal's slam numbers, and to me it looks like he can with that kind of game. I also feel that Novak's game looks more different from that of Murray than what people think. I still hope the great Federer can get another slam before he is done.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I can say something else, the women final was infinitely much better than the men final :clap

I thought for two sets it was great, and Roger winning the second threw it back up in the air. I felt Nole was making life too difficult for himself, then he had early bp's in the third, saved bp's, then broke, and from there on it was routine, more or less. He grew, while Roger's threat diminished.

It was sooo much better than the wimmin, though. Equal pay, my ar$e... :cover

Backhand_DTL

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
Roger seems to be very frustrated after this loss and I don't blame him but if you don't serve and play so well don't expect the best results :nono

Actually his serving wasn't that bad. Nowhere near what it was against Murray but Novak's returning puts huge pressure on anyone's serve. Anyway, that serving performance against Murray was some of the best I've seen from Roger and he was never gonna replicate that against Novak who's just an all round better player than Murray is.
I think when you look at it in isolation Roger served quite good, only compared to the exceptional performance in the semi final it might have seemed average. But 67 % of first serves for the match and 74 % of first serves won is definitely not bad.

In the first set he played a bad service game after the break and didn't serve great in the Tie-Break but apart from that and the easy forehand-miss for the break in the third set I think he didn't do much wrong on serve.

In my opinion the problems were, that Novak had the higher percentage of unreturned serves and was often in control even on his own second serves. That's why for me the return game was the bigger issue but apart from the match in Shanghai Roger recently always struggled to do a lot on Novak's serve so while disappointing for his fans that wasn't really unexpected.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

I thought for two sets it was great, and Roger winning the second threw it back up in the air. I felt Nole was making life too difficult for himself, then he had early bp's in the third, saved bp's, then broke, and from there on it was routine, more or less. He grew, while Roger's threat diminished.

Not only disgraceful that it's equal pay but last week during the heatwave the women were allowed up to a 10 minute break between sets 2 and 3 that the men aren't allowed and even an ice bath. Wtf for? So they can reapply their mascara? The men meanwhile are left to sweat, roast, play longer matches in tough conditions which runs the risk of injury and obviously exhaustion and all for the same ******g paycheck! What a joke. :nono

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Draw did help Novak BIG. If Murray was on his half or Stan showed up in semi, I really don't think Novak could win straight sets semi. Judge by semi form, I seriously think Murray could take him down. Other than AO 2012 2015 (his best surface) and USO2011 (his signature year), Novak performed poorly after tough semi.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BIG3 said:
Draw did help Novak BIG. If Murray was on his half or Stan showed up in semi, I really don't think Novak could win straight sets. Judge by semi form, I seriously think Murray could take him down. Other than AO 2012 2015 (his best surface) and USO2011 (his signature year), Novak performed poorly after tough semi.

Nothing could make up for that horrendous draw Nole had at the French Open just last month when he had to play the defending champion in the quarters and the most consistent player "after" Nole in Andy Murray in the semi; with a carryover the next day which I think hurt his rhythm in the final! :cover :nono :angel:

BIG3

Futures Player
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
BIG3 said:
Congratulation to Novak. After watching bot their semi, I simply hoped him could up his play to make a good final (not straight sets). It turned out he upped two levels and Roger downed one level. It could be straight sets, but in favor of Novak. What a turnaround.

Back to the match, Novak served huge and bailed him out in multiple crunch moments. After the 2nd set, Novak had more ACES than Fed. Are you kidding me? Fed should have come to net as much as possible. Novak's passing shots were very sub-par. Either short lob or CC BH; it didn't hurt Fed at all. Tired, tentative, or wanting to show Novak that "I can beat you in your game?"

I was saying this about Roger going back to his prime when he would get into long, drawn out points and matches, hugging the baseline instead of attacking! It was like he was saying to himself, "I can hang with these kids and duke it out from the baseline!" It's catching up to him and I do believe it cost him more than a couple FO titles! He obviously can do it; esp. since it was him that stopped Nole's run in 2011 in a spectacular FO semi! He's vapored-locked since, really only catching Nole on fast courts like Dubai's! Other than that, I think Nole has the edge and any close matches will be the result of Nole "playing down" to Roger's level other than today where he raised them! Looks as if Roger would have beaten ANYONE else today, but that's why people acknowledge that Nole's still the best returner of serve; BARRR NONE! :eyepop :angel: :dodgy:

Fiero425, it reminded me of Sampras- Agassi rivalry. In many of their big matches, Sampras stayed patiently in the baseline and beat Agassi handily. I do believe Fed can still do it. But his net play in such high percentage today, thanks in part to Novak's sub-par passing, he should have net rush much more.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
BIG3 said:
Draw did help Novak BIG. If Murray was on his half or Stan showed up in semi, I really don't think Novak could win straight sets. Judge by semi form, I seriously think Murray could take him down. Other than AO 2012 2015 (his best surface) and USO2011 (his signature year), Novak performed poorly after tough semi.

If this and if that...He had the toughest R1 and a very tough R4.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
BIG3 said:
Fiero425 said:
BIG3 said:

Fiero425, it reminded me of Sampras- Agassi rivalry. In many of their big matches, Sampras stayed patiently in the baseline and beat Agassi handily. I do believe Fed can still do it. But his net play in such high percentage today, thanks in part to Novak's sub-par passing, he should have net rush much more.

Like the Williams/Sharapova rivalry, I wish I knew why it's considered that except to make headlines? It was the same with Nadal/Federer; no real rivalry where one player is dominating! Sampras OWNED Agassi through his retirement match at the USO in 2002! Pete annihilated Andre in their 1st encounter at '90 USO and the trend didn't really end with Agassi taking a couple major matches with "circumstances;" FO 2nd rounder and '95 AO after Gullikson stroked out and collapsed before the quarters; Sampras rallied back to win in 5 over Courier! :angel: :dodgy:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Carol35 said:

Not only disgraceful that it's equal pay but last week during the heatwave the women were allowed up to a 10 minute break between sets 2 and 3 that the men aren't allowed and even an ice bath. Wtf for? So they can reapply their mascara? The men meanwhile are left to sweat, roast, play longer matches in
tough conditions which runs the risk of injury and obviously exhaustion and all for the same ******g
paycheck! What a joke. :nono

It's supossely that men are stronger than women so they have to sweat and play longer than women but it doesn't mean that these last ones don't deserve the same credit than men, even more :rolleyes:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
Kieran said:

Not only disgraceful that it's equal pay but last week during the heatwave the women were allowed up to a 10 minute break between sets 2 and 3 that the men aren't allowed and even an ice bath. Wtf for? So they can reapply their mascara? The men meanwhile are left to sweat, roast, play longer matches in
tough conditions which runs the risk of injury and obviously exhaustion and all for the same ******g
paycheck! What a joke. :nono

It's supossely that men are stronger than women so they have to sweat and play longer than women but it doesn't mean that these last ones don't deserve the same credit than men, even more :rolleyes:

What, pay them even more? :s No, sorry, they don't deserve more credit. Watch some Youtube videos of some tough ladies in sports and you'll see they're more than capable and don't need extra help such as 10 minute breaks. It's women who want equality and yet this is not equality. It's bs.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Djokovic was too good. Federer was off because Djokovic was too good. I was torn because I didn't want either of them to lose. Not sure how to feel right now.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Djokovic was too good. Federer was off because Djokovic was too good. I was torn because I didn't want either of them to lose. Not sure how to feel right now.

Yeah, I like both of them so could be worse. A lot worse :cool: Just wish Roger played a bit better.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I. Haychew said:

Well I've been saying it for a while now; would be nice for Roger to get one more major like Wimbledon, but not at the expense of Nole! I have to say it again; "this is Nole's time!" Roger had his and he can hang around all he wants, but I believe Djokovic has his number and will take him in any major match! He'll allow Roger that isolated win on a fast court in Dubai, but will embarrass him when it really counts; taking that gift 2nd set saved him today! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
I. Haychew said:

Well I've been saying it for a while now; would be nice for Roger to get one more major like Wimbledon, but not at the expense of Nole! I have to say it again; "this is Nole's time!" Roger had his and he can hang around all he wants, but I believe Djokovic has his number and will take him in any major match! He'll allow Roger that isolated win on a fast court in Dubai, but will embarrass him when it really counts; taking that gift 2nd set saved him today! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy:

Man, you never fail to disappoint slagging poor Roger lol. Novak doesn't allow him wins, he loses sometimes. For a guy who used to support Federer you sure give him a hard time now. You think Roger felt embarrassed losing 6-4 in the 5th last year when it really counts? :rolleyes:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Are we still harping about equal pay? The women have offered to play 5 sets, and the ITF has refused. Do you think networks, the tournament directors and men want to deal with the scheduling issues that might arise from making women play best of 5 sets. Do you think Djokovic or Federer wants to wait to play in the event that Serena or Maria or someone else goes the distance? I doubt it. The men can talk a good game about it but if you had to go on maybe 2-3 hours after when you were expecting, then you might not be a happy player.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Fiero425 said:
I. Haychew said:

Man, you never fail to disappoint slagging poor Roger lol. Novak doesn't allow him wins, he loses sometimes. For a guy who used to support Federer you sure give him a hard time now. You think Roger felt embarrassed losing 6-4 in the 5th last year when it really counts? :rolleyes:

It wasn't Roger's great play that got him to that 5th set I'm sorry to say! Nole choked like a dog with 2 breaks of his own serve to even allow that TB! Sorry but Roger's a little "past it!" He's still the GOAT, but barely hanging on because of the gutless performances by the rest of the tour! :cover :nono :angel: :dodgy: