2015 Wimbledon Final: S. Williams vs. Muguruza

Who ya got?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Serena leads the series 2-1

http://www.wtatennis.com/head2head/player1/15292/player2/9044

All 3 meetings have been at the slams. Serena has won both hard court matches in straights held at the Australian.

Garbine won the only meeting on clay at RG last year. Can Mugu stop the Serena slam and claim her maiden major?

Who ya got?
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/350/files/2015/07/serena-williams-timea-babos-tennis-wimbledon-

serena-williams-vs-timea-babos-850x560.jpg
vs.
https://s.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iSsfBB0exHLwnU.Va64JLA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7aWw9cGxhbmU7cT03NTt3PTYwMA--/http://media.zenfs.

com/es/News/efe.es/20150704-635716157736507277w.jpg

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ Agreed. Serena in three due to pressure, nerves, Garbine's power game, walkabouts, etc.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena has made the most of every slam final since her loss to Stosur. I can't see her not doing the same. I think her desire conquers her nerves.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
it's kind of a closer H2H than I expected. I have to go with Serena, because although Garbine has the cutest dimples, I still can't see that being enough... :popcorn

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Garbine has only won one title at Hobart. So if she does win her second title will be a Slam talk about a difference. I think Serena will be tough as nails knowing how tough Garbine can be. Maria is a better returner than Garbine and got 0 whiffs of a break, so I am expecting a tough go of it for Garbine.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
The way Serena played today I say Serena in 2. Still I think Garbine should really be proud of herself. She took advantage of every opportunity and she's had a nice steady climb to this point. I hope she continues to work hard and show decent results at smaller slams after this and doesn't flame out like Genie.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Garbi and Serena are going to have the same pressure but for two diferent reason. Garbi because it's her first final in a GS (also it was her first semis but she was able to control her nerves perfectly well though) and Setena because this year could be her last opportunity to win Wimbledon and she looks very focus but I hope Garbi will give her a tough battle and win, she could do it in three :cool:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
I give Serena credit that this is not the same Serena we saw 3 weeks ago in Paris. She's playing a lot more confidently and winning matches she would win easily, easily.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Garbine has done something that Vika has not yet managed to do, beat Serena in a slam. Garbine is not a weakling and has the firepower to deal with Rena. Contrary to the popular notion
Serena will not be nervous or dreaming here; this is the end of the tunnel and so should actually be easier to focus on the match.

All of this means, we will have a match worth watching. We will not see Garbine crying during the match like Sabine. We will not see a blow out and apologies to the fans like Safina.

I pick Serena in two tight sets, something like 6-4, 6-4.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
sk310 said:
The way Serena played today I say Serena in 2. Still I think Garbine should really be proud of herself. She took advantage of every opportunity and she's had a nice steady climb to this point. I hope she continues to work hard and show decent results at smaller slams after this and doesn't flame out like Genie.

Isn't that the truth. Bouchard has become a receding memory. It's as if she still can't believe she didn't win last year, and has no idea how to move on. Strange.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
tented said:
sk310 said:

Isn't that the truth. Bouchard has become a receding memory. It's as if she still can't believe she didn't win last year, and has no idea how to move on. Strange.

It's kind of been a common theme with this next generation of upstarts. Still I see difference between Mugu and Genie. Genie really NEVER brought her best to small tournaments.
Mugu at least seems to care about small tournaments.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
No offense to Serena, but...just once...could one of these women suck it up and play a decent match? If Serena wins 0 and 0 and I won't be surprised. There is literally NO COMPETITION for Serena these days. And it's not because Serena is so much better than everyone else. It's because everyone else sucks. I've been watching tennis a really, really long time - and I cannot remember another time when talent was so sparse on the women's tour. People are forever wanting to debate if Serena is the best ever - but playing in the era she does, where there's so few good players let alone great players? Forget it. That discussion doesn't even register with me. Give me Steffi Graf any day.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
sk310 said:

I think you can throw in Sloane Stephens, too. How anyone that talented can be such a headcase is scary. She's what - 37, 38 in the world? And she should be Top 10 or Top 5. I hope Madison Keys is taking notes.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am sorry to say, but Serena is a step above everyone else. It goes to show you that focusing on your fitness, improving your game and playing tennis can make you and take you above everyone else.

There are many talented players on this tour Kvitova, Azarenka, Muguruza, and many more, but Serena just has so many different gears. Serena is on another level with her approach and play. If she is the only good player today, then she would have surpassed Graf a few years ago.

She can be beat, but her resolve and fight is that much stronger. Sometimes heart is all you need to push on and summon your best tennis. There are many talented women who have played their best and still lost. Azarenka played her best just a few days ago clean numbers from both women and still lost.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Serena will win ...she has a lot of experience in big stage finals .Muguruza will give it a try but it will not be enough.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If Serena can control her nerves and the pressure, then Garbine might be able to get a set but Serena will win. If Serena starts out slow, then Garbi might surprise.

Hard to go against a player who has won 20 of 24 Slam finals though.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This can be a tough one! Muguruza is not intimidated at all by Serena, so it is important Serena starts out well and imposes her game quickly.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
tossip said:
I think Serena will win ...she has a lot of experience in big stage finals .Muguruza will give it a try but it will not be enough.

This is one of, if not the best things going for her at this point. Vast experience and success in GS finals vs. a first timer. Serena has participated in these big matches for over a decade. She knows how to win them. Garbine has limited experience on Centre Court, nevertheless playing a final. Big difference.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Muguruza has not been in a slam final against a champion like Serena..she did good by reaching the final ...